Resmed N20 mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
woolno

Resmed N20 mask

Post by woolno » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:58 pm

I use a Resmed N20 mask ( male ), and I have excellent AHI in the morning, and perfect seals on my nose.
My question is this - even with the mask fitting perfectly, I still feel that my nasal passages are stuffed in the morning. I have adjusted my humidity and temperature, and am satisfied with them. I was sized for a medium mask, and my nose still had a little space when using the fitting template, so I think the size is correct.
Why is it then that my nose feels as if it is being pushed in from the sides when the mask is on? Could it be that I do need a large size? It almost feels as if it is too small. I know that these masks in effect inflate and provide some pressure - is what I am experiencing normal?

a mess

Re: Resmed N20 mask

Post by a mess » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:21 am

I am using K-Y jelly in my nose to keep it from drying out. Just the plain k-y. This was suggested by my respitory therapist-and it works.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:47 am

a mess wrote:I am using K-Y jelly in my nose to keep it from drying out. Just the plain k-y. This was suggested by my respitory therapist-and it works.
I didn't see the OP complaining about dryness.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:04 am

woolno wrote:Why is it then that my nose feels as if it is being pushed in from the sides when the mask is on? Could it be that I do need a large size? It almost feels as if it is too small. I know that these masks in effect inflate and provide some pressure - is what I am experiencing normal?
For some people the least little teeny tiny pressure from the mask pushing on the sides of the nose up around the bridge of the nose and in the area of the nasal turbinates can cause congestion. It's not necessarily because the mask is too small or even too tight. For some people it's any pressure on that area. I am one of those people and for that reason I pretty much avoid any mask that puts pressure on that area of my nose. Heck even the weight of my sunglasses will cause some congestion.

Take your fingers and apply a very gentle pressure up along the sides of the nose near the nasal bridge area where the turbinates are....does it cause some congestion and if it does how quickly does the congestion go away when the pressure is removed?
If this is what is happening with you and you still prefer an over the nose type of mask...you might look at the ResMed Swift FX Nano because where it rests on the nose is a little lower so it doesn't put as much pressure on that area of the nose.
It's the only nasal cushion type of mask I have ever been able to use.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:06 pm

I am in the same boat as Pugsy as far as nasal mask pressure causing my nostrils to close up. I have to be very careful how I tighten my mask and where it sits. Unfortunately, the Eson 2 nasal mask gives me the best results overall, having tried the P10 nasal pillows and an F20 full face. Such are the SA challenges.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

mrpackerguy

Post by mrpackerguy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:09 am

I was fitted for a medium N20. It was causing terrible pain on the bridge of my nose and red-nose in the morning. I went on ebay and bought a new in plastic large size N20. I found the fit to be just as good. In another thread, I talk about my journey to get to no nose pain.

Regarding congestion, I think the larger mask has helped, but also flonase through my doctor. It's a topical steroid, but you don't get systemic steroid side effects.

I do, on occasion, still get congestion in the middle of the night, like last night, but it has lessened.