Cleaning climate line tubing

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LSAT

Re: Cleaning climate line tubing

Post by LSAT » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:47 pm

sleepychar wrote:I am just ending up month 7 of CPAP so I am still fairly conscientious following the advice of my DME... I wash the mask every day with a dab of soap (Dawn Original dish soap)and water , rinse out humidifier with tap water daily and let it dry, and once a week everything, including mask, head straps, humidifier, hose (ClimateLineAir hose) go into a basin of warm water with a few drops of Dawn original dish soap - every thing soaks for about 10 min. Then I take everything out, rinse and set out to dry. The DME suggested swinging the hose in a circle to try to get some of the water out and then hanging it up to dry. I hang it up over a towel bar and it is ready to use that night. I haven't had any hose trouble yet - except for the time my cat decided it was a fun thing to play with and made a few holes with his claws ...
I assume the towel bar is in the bathroom....the most germ ridden room in the home. If this is the case, your conscientious cleaning procedures are useless.

sleepychar

Post by sleepychar » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:57 pm

LSAT wrote:I assume the towel bar is in the bathroom....the most germ ridden room in the home. If this is the case, your conscientious cleaning procedures are useless.
You haven't seen how clean my bathroom is though ...
Previously AirFit P10 for Her mask

RestlessinWoolley

Post by RestlessinWoolley » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:51 pm

I bought the cleaning brush and started following the DMEs recommended schedule. That brush is a pain standing on a chair drop bin on the floor trying to shove a brush into the hose isn't fully then rinse till all the soap is gone. Watched a video on YouTube and asked the guy a few questions and said clean it only when you think you need to or after a cold or flu. I was afraid of mold or mildew due to not having a heated hose and leaving moisture in the hose but the sunggle wrap has helped till I get the heated. But agreed clean as needed when you feel like it. If you are on a replenish schedule like me I'd hate to please a hole in the thin wall hose.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:59 pm

RestlessinWoolley wrote:said clean it only when you think you need to or after a cold or flu
You are extremely unlikely to reinfect yourself with a cold or flu. But, strep infection, yes - I would clean it then.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:07 pm

LSAT wrote:
sleepychar wrote:I am just ending up month 7 of CPAP so I am still fairly conscientious following the advice of my DME... I wash the mask every day with a dab of soap (Dawn Original dish soap)and water , rinse out humidifier with tap water daily and let it dry, and once a week everything, including mask, head straps, humidifier, hose (ClimateLineAir hose) go into a basin of warm water with a few drops of Dawn original dish soap - every thing soaks for about 10 min. Then I take everything out, rinse and set out to dry. The DME suggested swinging the hose in a circle to try to get some of the water out and then hanging it up to dry. I hang it up over a towel bar and it is ready to use that night. I haven't had any hose trouble yet - except for the time my cat decided it was a fun thing to play with and made a few holes with his claws ...
I assume the towel bar is in the bathroom....the most germ ridden room in the home. If this is the case, your conscientious cleaning procedures are useless.
I don't know about you, but I shower, shave, brush my teeth, and dress in this "germ ridden room" every day. If that hasn't killed me yet, I don't think hanging my hose in there is going to hurt me. Have you ever considered the amount of germs that are right under your kitchen sink? If you have a disposal unit you most likely have rotting food particles in it, there is grease and other items caught in the trap. This is the immediate area where we prepare food. I doubt very much if the bathroom is any worse than any other room in the house.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:33 pm

Okie bipap wrote:
LSAT wrote:
I don't know about you, but I shower, shave, brush my teeth, and dress in this "germ ridden room" every day. If that hasn't killed me yet, I don't think hanging my hose in there is going to hurt me. Have you ever considered the amount of germs that are right under your kitchen sink? If you have a disposal unit you most likely have rotting food particles in it, there is grease and other items caught in the trap. This is the immediate area where we prepare food. I doubt very much if the bathroom is any worse than any other room in the house.
I don't flush a toilet in my kitchen.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:44 pm

sleepychar wrote:
LSAT wrote:I assume the towel bar is in the bathroom....the most germ ridden room in the home. If this is the case, your conscientious cleaning procedures are useless.
You haven't seen how clean my bathroom is though ...
I presume you never flush the toilet in that bathroom, eh?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:45 pm

RestlessinWoolley wrote:But agreed clean as needed when you feel like it. If you are on a replenish schedule like me I'd hate to please a hole in the thin wall hose.
I'm going on three years, haven't felt like it yet.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

klv329

Post by klv329 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:15 pm

Cleaned the climate line tubing today and noticed gooey green stuff on the outside of the end where the mask attaches.

Cut it open and it turned out the metal piece located where the tab sticks out into the airway (with the tiny hole on one side) had corroded creating a pocket of green goo around the area of the metal piece inside the gray silicone connector.

This was fairly advanced corrosion, and something I hadn't seen before in the climate line heated tubing. There was some slight deformity in the ridge where the metal piece is located (about directly below the m in climateline if you hold it horizontally so you can read left to right) in addition to the green goo on the surface.

Weird. Got slimed by corrosion. Maybe water, maybe a short, I dunno, maybe covid. Replaced the tubing with a normal looking new one.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:24 am

klv329 wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:15 pm
Cleaned the climate line tubing today and noticed gooey green stuff on the outside of the end where the mask attaches.

Cut it open and it turned out the metal piece located where the tab sticks out into the airway (with the tiny hole on one side) had corroded creating a pocket of green goo around the area of the metal piece inside the gray silicone connector.

This was fairly advanced corrosion, and something I hadn't seen before in the climate line heated tubing. There was some slight deformity in the ridge where the metal piece is located (about directly below the m in climateline if you hold it horizontally so you can read left to right) in addition to the green goo on the surface.

Weird. Got slimed by corrosion. Maybe water, maybe a short, I dunno, maybe covid. Replaced the tubing with a normal looking new one.
-scrunches nose- green goo? How often do you usually clean that thing? I hang mine to air dry every night on once of those fancy hangers. I maybe put soapy water to run through it about once a month.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:41 am

bmanley wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:41 am
Are there any tricks to cleaning the resmed climate line tubing? Can it be soaked in water and if so how do you get it dried out so the heating wires don't short out? If not what is the best way to clean?
To answer your question, yes, the heated ClimateLine tubing can be soaked in water without shorting out the heating element.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum as most here and I clean my equipment weekly by soaking the tubing (both the heated tube and the tube that connects to the mask), the tub, and the mask in ~ a gallon of warm water, with a cup of white vinegar added, for a couple of hours. I then rinse everything in warm water and hang it to dry in my bedroom.

YMMV
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:45 am

Frequent/daily cleaning exposes corrosible parts to water;
And summons the green goo monster.
Congratulations. You did it to yourself.
Your DME loves you--just not enough to grant you profit sharing.

Ray4852

Post by Ray4852 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:03 am

If you want your hose to last, clean it every day with baby shampoo for 10 minute or more. rinse out with warm water. let it hang for I hour. put in a hurricane dryer for 15 minutes. if you are on medicare. your insurance will pay for a new one, I think every 3 months. if your insurance don't cover c-pap parts. look on eBay for cpap equipment. I don't use the heated hose. I use the slimline. all hoses are cheap. its good to have a spare if one goes bad. I think the hose you need cost 35 dollars. slimline 15 dollars. cheap.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:08 am

Ray4852 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:03 am
If you want your hose to last, clean it every day with baby shampoo for 10 minute or more. rinse out with warm water. let it hang for I hour. put in a hurricane dryer for 15 minutes.
If you want your hose to last, don't clean it. Hoses don't get dirty. My current hose is three years old and has never been cleaned. It's not dirty.

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:28 am

I too have never cleaned my ClimateLine hose. Pap machines just push filtered air and a tiny bit of humidity through. They never get dirty.
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system