Cleaning climate line tubing

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bmanley

Cleaning climate line tubing

Post by bmanley » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:41 am

Are there any tricks to cleaning the resmed climate line tubing? Can it be soaked in water and if so how do you get it dried out so the heating wires don't short out? If not what is the best way to clean?

Okie bipap

Re: Cleaning climate line tubing

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:42 pm

If you feel an uncontrollable need to clean your tube, you can put a little water mixed with a mild soap in the tube, agitate it and slosh it from end to end, then rinse well with clear water. After doing this, hang the hose and let it dry. Many people here do not wash their hose. When I first started, I washed mine every week as recommended by my DME. Now, I've cleaned it once in the past year. After getting over a nasty bout of bronchitis where I was coughing a lot into the mask at night, I sterilized everything by soaking it in a 25% vinegar solution. What you clean, and how often you clean it is a personal choice and you will find people go from one end of the spectrum to the other on this issue.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:51 pm

bmanley wrote:Are there any tricks to cleaning the resmed climate line tubing? Can it be soaked in water and if so how do you get it dried out so the heating wires don't short out? If not what is the best way to clean?
Why does it need cleaning?

bmanley

Post by bmanley » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:15 pm

It has never been cleaned since I started using the heated tubing and I have been not feeling good for the last couple of weeks so I was just wondering how to clean it. Not sure it needs it but it seems like it should need something done with it every once in a while

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:30 pm

Is cleaning the heated hose not explained in the manual?
https://www.respshop.com/manuals/ResMed ... %20her.pdf
I don't remember and no time to go look it up.

FWIW...I have the ClimateLine heated hose for the prior model S9...I have yet to clean it...must be over 10K hours of use on it.

I just never felt the need. I know some people do feel the need though and that's fine. Whatever floats your boat and makes you happy.

If I did decide to clean it I would just do a quick wash with hot soapy water and be careful with the electrical stuff...quick hot water rinse and be done with it. Hang it to let water drip out and if it wasn't totally dry by the time I was going to use it again I wouldn't care because moisturized air is just going to be put right in it.
Just make sure no large drops or pockets of water are remaining in it...those little suckers make horrible racket when the air blows over them.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

FishLips

Post by FishLips » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:14 pm

I clean mine occasionally - much less frequently than the mask or the humidifier tank. Very little soap - mostly just run water through it. I dry everything simply by running the CPAP machine.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:34 pm

They need to be WASHED?
Nope, never done it since the first week in 2010.
I washed everything then, and discovered that it is not only unnecessary, but DAMAGES the equipment.
Of course, if leaving it alone creeps you out, have at it! But be gentle or you will be sorry.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:22 am

bmanley wrote:It has never been cleaned since I started using the heated tubing and I have been not feeling good for the last couple of weeks so I was just wondering how to clean it. Not sure it needs it but it seems like it should need something done with it every once in a while
Are you using Sleepyhead software to monitor the effectiveness of your CPAP therapy?

BTW, I'm one who uses a hose for years without cleaning it.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:54 am

I have a resmed S9 escape so I really don't have any data to show how it is going

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:05 am

Guest wrote:I have a resmed S9 escape so I really don't have any data to show how it is going
Oh, I see, in another thread, you are working on getting a better machine. Good luck with that. Don't forget to rely on the forum to guide you.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:14 pm

I haven't really been big on cleaning my hoses either. I used to occasionally wash my non-heated hose in 50% vinegar. However, now that I have a heated hose I don't use vinegar since I think the heating element could be damaged by that. I would just use soapy water and rinse thoroughly (most soap is organic, as is most vinegar).

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:38 pm

bmanley wrote:Are there any tricks to cleaning the resmed climate line tubing? Can it be soaked in water and if so how do you get it dried out so the heating wires don't short out? If not what is the best way to clean?
The heating wires will not short out. Just hang it for 10 minutes and then if you need to, run the mask test for 3 minutes. That should dry it adequately so you don't get 'rainout' effect. The wires are designed to handle moisture (humidifier, remember?).

If you can see gunk in the hose, you could cut a couple of soapy sponge worms and send them through the hose a couple of times, attaching the one end to your kitchen faucet. I haven't had to do that, but someone uploaded a video for that in one of the older threads. I wash my hose every 3-4 weeks.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

bmanley

Post by bmanley » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:22 am

Tubing looks clean so I'm not too worried but it does have humid air going thru it every night so you would think there could be some germs in there over a period of time. So I would think if anything you would need something to disinfect it, but only once every few months or maybe only a couple times a year.

Rob K

Post by Rob K » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:57 am

I have a different machine and heated hose so I'm not sure this will help you. I clean everything with warm water and soap once a week. Cushion gets cleaned daily. For the hose I fill it and slosh the soapy water around and run it all under the tap to rinse. Everything then gets put in front of a fan to dry. The hose is hung so the electrical connections are down and water can drip out. Water drops will stay in the hose all day if I don't set up a fan. Have been doing this for 3 years and all is well so far.

sleepychar

Post by sleepychar » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:08 pm

I am just ending up month 7 of CPAP so I am still fairly conscientious following the advice of my DME... I wash the mask every day with a dab of soap (Dawn Original dish soap)and water , rinse out humidifier with tap water daily and let it dry, and once a week everything, including mask, head straps, humidifier, hose (ClimateLineAir hose) go into a basin of warm water with a few drops of Dawn original dish soap - every thing soaks for about 10 min. Then I take everything out, rinse and set out to dry. The DME suggested swinging the hose in a circle to try to get some of the water out and then hanging it up to dry. I hang it up over a towel bar and it is ready to use that night. I haven't had any hose trouble yet - except for the time my cat decided it was a fun thing to play with and made a few holes with his claws ...
Previously AirFit P10 for Her mask