Airsense 10 Humidifier Tank Running Dry

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: Airsense 10 Humidifier Tank Running Dry

Post by Pugsy » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:21 pm

The ResMed heated hose is automatically detected when attached.
So you won't see any of the heated hose options until the hose is plugged in.

Adding the F & P humidifier would have to be done between your A10 and your long hose using a short short to connect your A10 to the F&P. You shouldn't have to do that though.

I wouldn't think the filter would have any impact on water consumption. Mine can get pretty nasty looking and it doesn't seem to affect my water usage. Of course I am using the S9 and not the A10.
If anything these machines with the ambient room sensors tend to use less water (at least mine have) and not run dry so soon.
Makes me wonder if there is something wrong with your sensor.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:13 am

I've found the Climateline heated hose and hooked it up. Can it be used with a hose cover, or is that not a good idea? I don't want my cat punching holes in the hose and I use a hose cover on my other hoses. When I got the Climateline hose and asked the DME about that, he said not to worry, the cat would get an electric shock so would only try it once. He is obviously not a cat lover.

Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:00 am

I use a hose cover on my Climateline heated hose. IMO it just keeps the air warmer. You should be able to find the auto function now
My Buddy

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:03 am

I have used a hose cover on my Climate Line heated hose without any problems.
All it will do is help keep the air warm to the temp you select and perhaps not use as much electricity to warm to that pre selected temp.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:57 pm

My experiment with the Climateline hose lasted 2 hours before I abandoned it and went back to the Slimline hose. I had it set on Auto. as suggested. I went to bed tired and sick with the flu, but was wide awake after 2 hours of the Climateline hose. The APAP pressure kept swinging straight up to 19 from 11 after a few minutes and I couldn't keep the mask on. I kept taking it off and putting it back on to get back to the lower range of pressure. After 2 hours with the Climateline hose, the humidifier tank was half empty, which is even worse than with the Slimline hose.

I got to sleep with the Slimline hose and humidity set to 5 or 6. I have been sleeping in about 4 hour intervals. After each of the last 4 hours, the water is about 2/3 gone and I top it off with distilled water so the tank is full. Fortunately, the immediate pressure swings to unnecessarily high pressure stopped when I put the Slimline hose back on.

I'm glad to hear a hose cover can be used with the Climateline hose, as the cat was very interested in it and wanted to play with it. He had punctured hoses before, so I have to use a hose cover. It appears that the default setting with the Climateline hose is humidity of 4 and temp of 81 degrees. That is what the setting was when I set it to manual to check it.

Looks like I am going to need a humidifier running next to the CPAP machine to humidify the air. Until then, I need to fill the humidifier tank every time I wake up, approximately every 4 hours.

Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:18 pm

Could you possibly have a leak in the humidifier tank? I'd fill it up, set it in a bigger bowl and see if u are losing water out of a crack you can't see.

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:23 pm

If the humidifier tank had a crack in it, I would be getting water all over when I sleep, as the CPAP machine is right above me on the bookcase headboard of my bed. There is no evidence of water leakage. I should be getting a new humidifier water tub soon, as six months with the A10 is a week away and Medicare allows for a new humidifier water tub every six months. If a new tank makes a difference, I will be surprised but grateful.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:56 pm

Before buying a stand alone humidifier to run in tandem with your A10 make sure the A10 will allow a short hose from the air outlet to the second humidifier....I haven't actually seen an A10 and I got to thinking that maybe it is different and the F & P humidifier wouldn't work so great. You need to be able to attach a short hose (like 6 inch or something) to the A10 so that the F & P humidifier can be attached.
Also, if you do this something will still need to be done about the A10 humidifier using the water it uses.
I don't know that it will hurt you to have it run dry or hurt the humidifier but it is likely going to stink something awful and that will wake you up most likely.

Do talk to your equipment supplier though about your issues...it's not normal to use that much water in one night. I would be highly suspect for something wrong in the sensor or heating element.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:07 pm

Now that I have a second tank, I might try to create a filling hole on the old one.
Nice and round, to fit either a small funnel or a cork (tightly).
I would only need to shut the air flow off long enough to top off the tank.

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:28 pm

MarylandCPAPer wrote:I am using the Airsense 10 for Her with a slimline hose and humidity set at 5. The humidifier tank is running dry every night after a few hours. When I get up for a bathroom break, I let it cool down, then refill it. Is there any danger to breathing CPAP air coming from a dry humidifier tank? I would think this is not good for the metal bottom of the tank or the air I am breathing before I refill the tank.
This week, I have found out what happens when breathing the air when the tank runs dry and the humidity level is set to 5 or 6. I got a severe case of bronchitis. My dr. prescribed an Albuterol inhaler, Zithromax and a medicine for sore throat. The flu was nothing compared with this. I was having trouble sleeping over the weekend with the flu, so used Nyquil and got 12 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Based on my experience recently, I think the water in the water tank runs out entirely after no more than 6 hours. So, I slept for 6 hours with an empty but heated humidifier tub. I still have very congested breathing and am very sick.

I will be seeing if I can fix my PR System One Model 550 P by finding a missing screw. If I can fix the PR System One, I may be using it in the winter and saving the Airsense 10 for summer use only. Beware Airsense 10 users in dry climates!!

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:48 pm

Ate you filling to the wavy line on the tank

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:00 pm

Greg Riddle wrote:Ate you filling to the wavy line on the tank
Yes, I am filing it to the Maximum line on the tank. I have tried adding a tad extra, and even a tad extra above that line ends up as rainout.

I never had this problem in 5 years of using the PR System One machine, which according to measurement earlier this summer, holds exactly the same amount of water, even though the PR System One humidifier water tank appears bigger than the A10 water tank.

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:05 pm

ince I am having the problem (i.e. my humifiier water isn't lasting for more than 6 hours) on Auto APAP, I tried Autoset for Her mode last night to see if it made any difference in my humidifier water consumption. I think it worked about the same. My Sleepyhead numbers were about the same, certainly not worse on the For Her mode. I think leaks were a little less (1% instead of 2%). I may stick with Autoset for Her mode for a while longer. I am still having to fill the humidifier tank every 6 hours, at which point it is about to run totally dry.

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:27 pm

You can add a humidifier to the bedroom. I wouldn't mind having a bigger tank

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:52 pm

Greg Riddle wrote:You can add a humidifier to the bedroom. I wouldn't mind having a bigger tank
Based on my experience so far, I think the Airsense 10 should come with a larger capacity water tank. It is not the coldest and dryest it will be this winter. Winter has just started here. I was using water at an alarming pace during the summer, too, but not a full tank every 6 hours like now. I would not recommend the Airsense 10 because of this problem. In another topic on this board, someone else is having the opposite problem--NO water usage by their humidifier tank.

After 5 years with the Phillips Respironics System One and no such problems, I am extremely disappointed in Resmed. My house hasn't changed.

Happy Thanksgiving!! I am thankful for my warm house, even though I am too sick to be with my family to celebrate the holiday, thanks to the A10.