Woo-hoo! Slept w/o my chin strap last night!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JustTia

Woo-hoo! Slept w/o my chin strap last night!

Post by JustTia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:12 pm

The last time I tried to sleep without my chin strap, I woke up less than an hour later with a wind tunnel in my mouth. Not pleasant. I had resigned myself to having to wear the darned thing forever, even though it feels like I'm clenching my jaw from it when I wake up.

So, last night I decided to give it one more good try. I made sure to do my nasal rinse (nudge-nudge, englandsf) first, which is something that I did *not* do the last time I tried. So, I did that, and a little while later hit the sheets. I slept through the night, only waking up toward morning (roll over, go back to sleep, roll over, go back to sleep for a couple of hours, lol). Apparently my mouth stayed closed all night long! And my data looks good! I really hope this is a trend that will continue, and I can do away with the chin strap. The occasional open mouth is no big deal, as long as most of my sleep looks like this did.

Board culture. Learn it. Embrace it.

palerider

Re: Woo-hoo! Slept w/o my chin strap last night!

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:01 pm

JustTia wrote:The last time I tried to sleep without my chin strap, I woke up less than an hour later with a wind tunnel in my mouth. Not pleasant. I had resigned myself to having to wear the darned thing forever, even though it feels like I'm clenching my jaw from it when I wake up.

So, last night I decided to give it one more good try. I made sure to do my nasal rinse (nudge-nudge, englandsf)
so, the church of the hosed out nose has a new acolyte, eh? awesome that it's working for you

and that's an awfully boring chart you posted... con-grats!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:44 pm

It's always great when you can stop using a piece of gear like a chinstrap... or something like mouth taping. The real test is in the long run when you see yourself adapt successfully to the change over time. Good luck. I hate chinstraps BTW and was soooo happy to kick mine to the curb. Here's what I use now: Image

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:12 pm

So the Quattro FX and the blue cloth is in contact with that strap?

Isn't it sweaty?

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

MINItron

Post by MINItron » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:17 pm

Woohoo!! When I first tried nasal pillows I used a chinstrap, but I kept waking up to readjust the mask and the chinstrap. When I tried the mask again I did it without the chinstrap, and it was a whole different experience. I only wake up once or twice a night at the most to adjust my mask. It is so much more comfortable this way.

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:22 pm

I feel sanctified Tia, thank you.

JustTia

Post by JustTia » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:43 am

palerider wrote: so, the church of the hosed out nose has a new acolyte, eh? awesome that it's working for you

and that's an awfully boring chart you posted... con-grats!
Haha, thanks! And yes, I've joined the Cult of Nose-hosing. Never gonna look back.
Sir NoddinOff wrote:It's always great when you can stop using a piece of gear like a chinstrap... or something like mouth taping. The real test is in the long run when you see yourself adapt successfully to the change over time. Good luck. I hate chinstraps BTW and was soooo happy to kick mine to the curb. Here's what I use now: Image
If I were using a ffm, that might work for me. But I'm using nasal pillows, and there's really nowhere to attach something like that and it work properly. I'm good with it, though! Two nights down now with no mouth breathing and no chin strap. Crossing my fingers that the good luck continues.
englandsf wrote:I feel sanctified Tia, thank you.

Even though you get ribbed and ragged on for repeating the suggestion to EVERY newbie who has issues, I think you should keep doing so. It might not work for everyone, but it's an important suggestion for those whom it WILL work for.

JustTia

Post by JustTia » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:03 pm

The grammar in my last post is annoying me, lol.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:24 pm

JustTia wrote:The grammar in my last post is annoying me, lol.
go back and edit it

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

junior49

Post by junior49 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:00 am

Congrats! I was surprised how fast I learned to sleep without it. One thing that helped me was to learn to nose-breathe. I never even knew mouth-breathing was not optimal. Over the first 3-4 weeks I had to consciously remember to keep my mouth closed at all times and after that it became automatic. Same with sleeping--took a few weeks with the chinstrap, but eventually was able to sleep without it. The greatest thing was that I was able to switch to a nose mask, and now I use nasal pillows. Much quieter and less cumbersome.

JustTia

Post by JustTia » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:07 am

palerider wrote:
JustTia wrote:The grammar in my last post is annoying me, lol.
go back and edit it
Nah, I'll leave it. It's a reminder that I'm not perfect. I need that now and then or else my head gets so big that it won't fit in my car any more.
junior49 wrote:Congrats! I was surprised how fast I learned to sleep without it. One thing that helped me was to learn to nose-breathe. I never even knew mouth-breathing was not optimal. Over the first 3-4 weeks I had to consciously remember to keep my mouth closed at all times and after that it became automatic. Same with sleeping--took a few weeks with the chinstrap, but eventually was able to sleep without it. The greatest thing was that I was able to switch to a nose mask, and now I use nasal pillows. Much quieter and less cumbersome.
I don't normally mouth breathe at all. Awake, anyway. In fact, when I have a stuffy nose I find it nearly impossible to get to sleep because it doesn't feel natural to me to open my mouth and breathe through it. It takes conscious effort. Yet, for some reason, after I fall asleep my face seems to completely relax and my jaw drops. So my first mask was a full face. I hated it, though, and could NOT get the leaks to stop. So I tried my swift fx and loved it - except that it seemed that my mouth was still dropping open after I fell asleep. So I added the chin strap. But my teeth hurt every morning, even if I set the chin strap pretty loosely. Finally I decided to try it again without the chin strap and see just how often my mouth actually does drop open - and it hasn't done so (that I know of) in three nights now. Although, my teeth are still sore in the morning, so I may still need to get an oral appliance from my dentist to protect my teeth. It seems that I went from jaw-dropping to jaw-clenching.

One extreme to another. I guess I don't do anything "small".

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:20 am

One of the reasons I decided to try the Tap Pap mask was because I was having some TMJ discomfort from clenching my jaws.
Having the mouth guard did help so you might look at the Tap Pap sometime in the future but I will warn you...there can be some tooth discomfort initially especially if a person fits it so it is too snug. It doesn't have to be skin tight to stay in place.
It took me about a week for the minor tooth discomfort to go away.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.