Two Weeks and New Questions Keep Coming to Mind

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GwinnettAndy

Two Weeks and New Questions Keep Coming to Mind

Post by GwinnettAndy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:09 pm

It's nice to know this group exists.

I went on CPAP because of sleep walking and talking, which has recently been diagnosed as apnea, I was on clonopin for 15 years. After a few days it felt normal to not take that medicine anymore. I prefer to not be dependent on any medicine to get to sleep. I can sense that I am getting a better sleep.

I have not been able to keep the machine or mask on my face all night yet. From the report on the screen, I have had only 3/19 night with the machine on for four hours. I average 2.3 hours.

My breathing seems to form a strong habit of deeper breathing and I think I keep breathing through the night. When I wake up, I am seemingly breathing at deeper levels than I normally would for a good thirty minutes. It is like the CPAP kick starts my breathing in a more healthy pattern, hence, I think I am getting decent sleep even though the machine isn't on.

I take the mask off for several reasons. The last few nights I have figured out that I did have the nose pillows tight enough. When I tightened them I got better air flow and there was not that leaking sound. The problem is that I feel like I am getting too much and air drying out. I become so dry that I can't take it, and use the excuse that I need moisture, and once I get it, I will put the mask back on...but I don't until like 5:00 am. I might also take it off because it is uncomfortable.

I have a so called "heated tube" from Slim Line and a humidy level of 4.5 that takes 20 minutes to ramp up. It is called a ResMed device.

I don't know much about any of this and am not sure if I am giving the right information.

The humidifier seems to not use that much water. Maybe because I am in a humid location (Metro Atlanta). I haven't changed the water for a few nights. Just being honest. It seems like a waste when only a fraction of it is used.

There was one night when I felt like I got the deepest sleep of my life. It reminded me a taking Nyquil. That was a night when the machine was driving me crazy. I keep thinking it would be awesome if the machine could help me get back there.

If you all can help, I would appreciate learning from your experience.

jencat824

Re: Two Weeks and New Questions Keep Coming to Mind

Post by jencat824 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:04 pm

Welcome to the forum,

First, it helps us to help you to list your equipment info, so go to the User Control Panel & add your info.

Second, you really need to try to keep the mask on all night to get the full benefit of therapy. When the mask is off, you aren't getting any therapy. For the machine to blow the air that keeps your airway open, the mask needs to be on and reasonably sealed. I know its hard to keep the mask on, your body wonders why there is an alien sitting on your face, but its really important to commit to sleeping all night with your mask on.

Third, for the dryness sounds like you need more moisture. I'm not familiar with the ResMed devices, so someone will come along shortly who can help you with settings. Some people need lots of humidity with nasal pillows & I suspect you fall into that category. There are specific settings other forum members can help you with to correct this.

You have come to the right place for help. Welcome.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:38 pm

You can find the name of your machine next to the power button. It will be something like Autoset (best APAP machine), Elite or Elite Auto.

If your mouth is dry you are opening your mouth when you sleep with the machine. This allows the therapy air to escape out of your open mouth instead of providing the therapy to open your airway. As the air rushes through your mouth it dries it out.
Some solutions include switching to a full face mask that covers your nose and mouth and allowing you to get therapy even with your mouth open. A chin strap that goes under your chin and over your head to help keep your mouth closed. I use a chin strap. Putting masking tape over your mouth so no air can escape. Or using a medication to help moisturizer your mouth, like Biotene.
The moisturizer may help the dry mouth but will not improve your therapy.

Let's find out what machine and mask you are using first. Then we can move on with answering more of your questions.

SleepWellCPAP

Post by SleepWellCPAP » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:50 pm

3 out of 19 days over four hours isn't enough time on the device, consistently, for you to really get the full benefit of sleeping with a clear airway. As Jencat implies, more time, specifically 6 to 7.5 hours in my experience, should be your time goal for a recuperative sleep episode.

You say 4.5 on a climate circuit. That implies you, or your clinician, has set your device to manual climate control. This is not generally good. Most, and I'm talking 800 out of a thousand people, do better with the climate control set to "auto", rather than "manual". Push the button on the lower right hand side of your LCD screen with the boxes and check marks. This should lead you to your patient settings menu, where I'm hoping you'll be able to change climate control to "auto".

20 minutes for ramp is factory default. Depending on your pressure, as long as you're not awake after 20 minutes, this element should be fine.

LEAK - You mention "leaking sound". This is NOT good. ANY sound from a circuit needs to be accounted for. If you are not already trying the Airfit P10 mask, I would highly recommend it. It is almost completely silent, and the air vent is through what ResMed calls a "mesh vent" that diffuses the air. This results in a "no hear", "no feel" situation with circuit required vent airflow. Also, don't forget the lanolin, if pillow sealing problems persist. Just a little bit, don't over do it, on your nose just prior to putting on the pillows should keep them snugly sealed for most of the night.

Good luck!
Jim Swearingen
Author of the book Sleep Well & Feel Great with CPAP, a definitive guide
For a free copy inquire with your local county librarian
CPAPtalk featured - Also available through Barnes & Noble Booksellers

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:21 pm

GA,

You mention dryness - is it your nose that is dry or your mouth? If nose, increased humidity will help. If mouth, you are mouth breathing & loosing therapy thru your mouth & need either a chinstrap or full face mask. Sorry in my earlier reply I thought you meant your nose was dry, but when I reread it, I'm not sure which you meant. Hope this clarification helps.

Jen,

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

GwinnettAndy

Post by GwinnettAndy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:34 pm

Thanks everyone.
I am not finding a name that sounds right for my equipment. Next to the power button are the three letter EPR. Everything suggest that RedMed is the machine. There is a sticker on the side that says, "Classic Sleep Care."
With reference to the dryness, I am dry in my nose. This has been an issues since I tightened the straps giving me a better fit.
I can't seem to figure out how to fix the temp back to auto. I know it was set to 72 degree when the person came and gave me the machine.
Thanks for the encouragement with keeping the mask on, I know I must song like a kindergartener with this stuff!
I also remember seeing something about 5-15, but I am having a hard time finding that setting too. The screen just shows the humidity level, the ramp up speed and several reports.
This was the first I have heard about lanaolin, I can give that a try. Where can I buy that?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:45 pm

Lanolin....Lansinoh lanolin ointment/cream. Found in the baby aisle of most stores. Breastfeeding mom's use it to help with nipple soreness or cracking. Safe for mom and the baby and mask material.

Look on the top of the blower unit up by the on/off button and round knob for model name..
Most likely choices that you would see....AutoSet, Elite, Escape or Escape Auto. It would be unlikely for you to see VPAP but you might.

Look here for a little video that will explain some of the features of your machine as well as how to get into the ultra secret menu
http://www.cpaplibrary.com/machines.html

If you saw 72 degrees initially then you have the ClimateLine heated hose. You can use it in automatic mode where the humidity delivered is 80 % and you can choose any temperature you want.
It also has a manual mode available where you can choose temperature and a numerical setting 1 through 6 for humidity delivery with 6 being the highest.

If your nasal mucosa feels dry despite the humidity you might pick up something like Simply Saline at the store when you pick up the Lansinoh and use the saline spray frequently during the day but especially a couple of squirts before bedtime and first thing in the AM...see if that helps. After 5 years I still use it despite having the humidifier set to maximum setting.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

GwinnettAndy

Post by GwinnettAndy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:17 pm

I have a autoset machine and a climateline tube. Thanks again for your help!