5 months with not a single nights sleep...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
beanz1910

5 months with not a single nights sleep...

Post by beanz1910 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:53 pm

So iv owned a full face mask with System one cpap. I try to use to EVERY NIGHT but honestly i have not slept with it on for 1 full night, EVER.

I put it on at night and try to sleep with it on but most of the time i feel like im being suffocated and i cant breathe well with the mask on and ill rip it off before i get to sleep or during sleep ill wake up suddenly and rip it off for more air.

I have tried putting the air pressure at a ton of different levels. The guy who set me up with the cpap machine set it up on level 3 when i 1st got it and it was doing NOTHING. I changed it to 10 for the past 3 or so months and i have this issue that i stated above.

AM i doing something wrong? I really want to use this machine because of my sleep apnea and tiredness during the day but iv had it for over 5 months and have not had 1 full night that i use it!
PR SystemOne Remstar Auto 560 Auto‑CPAP
mask - Amara Full Face CPAP Mask
Pressure -Auto with min 11.5

letsride

Re: 5 months with not a single nights sleep...

Post by letsride » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:59 pm

Maybe the machine isn't the right one?!
I had the same problem but finally try an ASV machine and my problem was solved.

beanz1910

Post by beanz1910 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:01 pm

letsride wrote:Maybe the machine isn't the right one?!
I had the same problem but finally try an ASV machine and my problem was solved.

What do you mean by this?

also, this is the machine im using..

http://www.directhomemedical.com/pr-sys ... 9sSvo4vFUQ

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:35 pm

You have a good machine for obstructive apnea.
Do you know how to enter the clinician setup menu?
If so, let us know what each of the settings are.

You should also dowload and install Sleepyhead software on your computer.
Then you take the SD card out of your machine and put it into your computer.
Sleepyhead will then display the detailed data from your machine so you can determine what has been working and what has not. The folks here will help you decipher the data and provide advice on what you and your doctor may want to change to make your therapy more effective.

ShelaghDB

Post by ShelaghDB » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:27 pm

beanz1910 wrote:So iv owned a full face mask with System one cpap. I try to use to EVERY NIGHT but honestly i have not slept with it on for 1 full night, EVER.

I put it on at night and try to sleep with it on but most of the time i feel like im being suffocated and i cant breathe well with the mask on and ill rip it off before i get to sleep or during sleep ill wake up suddenly and rip it off for more air.

I have tried putting the air pressure at a ton of different levels. The guy who set me up with the cpap machine set it up on level 3 when i 1st got it and it was doing NOTHING. I changed it to 10 for the past 3 or so months and i have this issue that i stated above.

AM i doing something wrong? I really want to use this machine because of my sleep apnea and tiredness during the day but iv had it for over 5 months and have not had 1 full night that i use it!

I had the very same problem. I would take my mask off in my sleep at about the 90 minute point and I would leave it on my chest without realizing that i was doing it, after I did it about 2x.. The first two times I did it i was aware, at least the next morning i did remember having done it but after that I no longer remembered doing it at all but i did it daily.

I did not realize that i was getting stuffed up at night. It wasn't happening until i was asleep and I didn't wake up stuffed up so I really didn't know that i was.
I tried everything once I knew I was but fought against having to try the MediNed sinus rinse ( i believe thats what its called?)

Since that night, 16 nights ago I have slept 8-9 hours most nights and only twice have I taken off my mask. Both times were about 5am and I think i ws waking up getting close to feeling as if I needed to quickly use the washroom so i would take off my mask in order to get up with plans on putting it back on once I got back but i realized later, both times, that the need to go was not yet strong enough so i ended up just falling back asleep for another hour or so.
But i was not stuffed up........but in my sleep just telling myself it was time to get up.
Thats all I now have to be careful about.

I bet if you try the nasal rinse you will sleep through he night.
I didn't, never, except for 2 nights in a row that I slept on my couch and for some reason, both of those 2 nights i did not get stuffed up at all but every other night I did.

Try it, it works very well and only takes 2 min to do from the start of prep to the end.

UNLESS OF COURSE someone more knowledgeable than I can point towards it being something else due to the suffocation you are feeling.
Somone else can likely suggest another number for you.

One thing i found interesting though.....my pressure number was to be 13.
When at 13 its perfect. My AHI numbers at pressure 13 are low and i sleep perfectly, never overwhelmed.
I thought I would just try it at 14 for three nights to see if it was even better but JUST THAT ONE number made a huge difference and I had to put it back to 13.
Although I wasn't bothered, initially with the added pressure, or so I thought, I found that i woke up once with a tiny stomach ache which suggests it was too powerful and I was swallowing some air and my FF mask which never leaked, all of a sudden did. Its as if there was just too much air pressure. As well, one night i leaked and discovered water over my face although there was no reason I could see otherwise for rain out.
Apparently just one number can make that much difference and turn it from a perfect sleep to a not so perfect night.

 5k 27" Retina iMac,
 MacBookPro 10.9.5 13" 2.53Ghz + 10.9.5 13" 2.4Ghz
 iPad 4 16Gig + 3G  iPhone 5 + One + One 64gig CyanogenMod Version
 Apple TV + Airport Extreme

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:22 am

It sounds like it was initially started at too low a pressure, which left you feeling suffocated. Not sure if you were still feeling suffocated at 10, or it was on ramp still and never actually made it to 10.

Do you have a titration with settings determined? If so, you may need to disable the ramp and try those settings. Then see how it goes and make changes as needed.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:25 am

What specific mask are you using and how do you feel about it?

beanz1910

Post by beanz1910 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:10 pm

i am using a full face mask from philips respiration

shelaghDB, i 1st started with the nasal pillows but i have a deviated septum and iv NEVER slept with my mouth shut since i cant breathe. I recently got surgery to fix my nose but im still a mouth sleeper.

tmr

Post by tmr » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:49 pm

I don't know maybe machine or mask are malfunctioning? Check it with the DME.

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:18 pm

Current pressure is 10 and you still feel claustrophobic? Have you tried the mask fit feature (is that available on your unit)? Put on the mask, press the ramp button and let it blast whatever your high pressure limit is for about 45 seconds....This checks for leaks at higher pressures. It also amuses dorks like me.
Do you have pressure ramping set? If you do, the system starts at a low pressure (can feel suffocating) and over the ramp time (up to 45 min I think?) builds to your low end pressure setting. This could cause issue, if it starts at too low a level. I find 6 is just enough for good sleep, but YMMV.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:41 pm

beanz1910 wrote:So iv owned a full face mask with System one cpap. I try to use to EVERY NIGHT but honestly i have not slept with it on for 1 full night, EVER.

several things (that couldn't be said in that other forum)..

you've got an automatic machine, it picks the pressure level you need, or can, if you set it to that.

set the mode to auto, try setting your minimum pressure to 6 and the max to 10, and try to use it for the night.

then the next day, take the sd card and use sleepyhead software to read the data, and post a screenshot here.

when you do the screenshot, hit the ^ by the date to turn off the calendar, hit f8 to turn off the right sidebar, and then see if you can't get the events, flow, pressure, leaks and flow limitation graphs on one page (they can be resized and moved around by dragging.

Last edited by palerider on Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:14 pm

This might be hard but start out at bedtime telling yourself that you will leave the mask on all night.

Also try all the other posters suggestions that will work for you. Try putting your hand over the exhale valve to reassure yourself that there really is air, that you are not suffocating.

Some people here have suggested wearing the mask for a few hours while watching TV just to get used to the feel of it being there & to reassure yourself that you will not suffocate.

It sounds like you are really having a hard time & I don't want to make light of it, but if you make a commitment to wear the mask all night, come hell or high water, that should get you started on the right path. I know this will be hard with the FFM but since you are a mouth breather due to an anatomical issue, just biting the bullet & keeping at it may work best.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:24 pm

beanz1910 wrote: I put it on at night and try to sleep with it on but most of the time i feel like im being suffocated and i cant breathe well with the mask on and ill rip it off before i get to sleep or during sleep ill wake up suddenly and rip it off for more air.
when people say they're soffocating, (channeling robysue here) they usually mean one of two things,

they can't get enough air, or
there is too much air, and they can't exhale against it.

the fixes are opposite.

however, if you've tried 4 and 10cm, you might have been on either side of that problem.

which feeling do you have?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

beanz1910

Post by beanz1910 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:09 pm

palerider wrote:
beanz1910 wrote: I put it on at night and try to sleep with it on but most of the time i feel like im being suffocated and i cant breathe well with the mask on and ill rip it off before i get to sleep or during sleep ill wake up suddenly and rip it off for more air.
when people say they're soffocating, (channeling robysue here) they usually mean one of two things,

the fixes are opposite.

however, if you've tried 4 and 10cm, you might have been on either side of that problem.

its hard to tell what feeling im having. It feels like someone has a blanket over my face, im able to breathe fine but im about to breathe better outside of the blanket. Thats how i feel with my mask, i can breathe with it on but without it i can breathe so much better.

Maybe im still at a low pressure. I changed my pressure to 15 now and imma see if i still feel like this the next few nights.

I just cant believe iv owned this thing for over 5 months and havnt slept with it on one full night =/

robysue

Post by robysue » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:19 pm

beanz1910 wrote:
palerider wrote: when people say they're soffocating, (channeling robysue here) they usually mean one of two things,

the fixes are opposite.

its hard to tell what feeling im having. It feels like someone has a blanket over my face, im able to breathe fine but im about to breathe better outside of the blanket. Thats how i feel with my mask, i can breathe with it on but without it i can breathe so much better.
Is the problem mainly on inhalations? Or on exhalations? Or is it simply psychological? In other words, is it just that your brain has not yet learned to trust that the supply of fresh air being constantly blown into the mask is more than enough air for you to inhale as much as needed?

And just because you mention breathing underneath a blanket: One of the first things that felt like a positive about PAP therapy for me was the fact that I could sleep with my head under the cover all night without needing to come up for "fresh air"----the mask and hose was my private fresh air supply all night long.