Projected release date for next generation ResMed xpaps...?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MeToo

Projected release date for next generation ResMed xpaps...?

Post by MeToo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:46 pm

It has been several years since the S9 release. Does anyone know when ResMed will be coming out with its next generation of S10's or whatever?

john5396

Re: Projected release date for next generation ResMed xpaps...?

Post by john5396 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:20 pm

The process for getting a medical device approved for global release has got to be very long and expensive. They also will not want to lead the market and make announcements before the new system is rerady because that would reduce/eliminate demand for the current product as people wait for the new one.

So I think it is fair to say that we will get virtually no advanced notice on the next generation, and they will only bring out a new platform if it either -
- provides new therapy advances
- provides significant comfort improvements (Quiter, etc.)
- or can be built for much less than the current platform (increasing their profits while reducing costs for us)

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:52 pm

I could be wrong & probably am, but..... I wonder if there is already something in the works. The current line is 'S9', the previous was 'S8', so it makes sense the next would probably be the 'S10'. Well......they have recently released a new line of masks, the AirFit P10, N10 & F10. See where my mind is going? If the new line of XPAP's are going to be S10's, something might be in the works to have a whole 'family line' of 10's.

Now this is just me guessing, but my mind just works this way. I could be way off base, so this is just my OPINION.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

Bons

Post by Bons » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:12 pm

Probably around January of 2016, since I qualify for a new ASV in November of 2015. That pretty much happened with the PR machines when I got my current one.

greg-g

Post by greg-g » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:20 pm

The new version of ResScan 4.5 appears to include the S10 in its configuration data.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:39 pm

Since I am not interested in taking chances on a possibly buggy first edition;
and my 5 years are up right before competitive bidding goes into effect where I live--
I may not wait, and if the current model is still the latest and greatest, and will likely be my next machine.

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:51 pm

They are all too darned old, they all have serious usability bugs, and they all need some major updating, pronto. All the brands included.

It's a shame Apple or Samsung don't make them. We'd have some real competition, and new features would amaze us every six months.

A CPAP that can play games and stream Netflix movies....

Heck I would be happy just having a clock radio in mine!

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:53 pm

Bons wrote:Probably around January of 2016, since I qualify for a new ASV in November of 2015. That pretty much happened with the PR machines when I got my current one.
Because you qualify doesn't mean you have to run out and get a new one in that month.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:55 pm

hyperlexis wrote:They are all too darned old, they all have serious usability bugs, and they all need some major updating, pronto. All the brands included.

It's a shame Apple or Samsung don't make them. We'd have some real competition, and new features would amaze us every six months.

if apple made cpaps, the cheapest one would cost 2000, you'd have to buy a new one every six months because they came out with something prettier, and it would give you a whrily beachball instead of doing cpappy things at random times of the night.

but, it'd be pretty!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SleepyToo2

Post by SleepyToo2 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:12 pm

palerider wrote:
hyperlexis wrote:They are all too darned old, they all have serious usability bugs, and they all need some major updating, pronto. All the brands included.

if apple made cpaps, the cheapest one would cost 2000, you'd have to buy a new one every six months because they came out with something prettier, and it would give you a whrily beachball instead of doing cpappy things at random times of the night.

but, it'd be pretty!
I don't want any of those fancy doodads, or something that is "pretty" - just give me something that delivers air at the pressure I need when i need it, and gives me my efficacy stats each morning and over a long period of time (30 days is nowhere near enough when I only get to see my sleep doc once every year). It would have built-in access to oxygen saturation data, and maybe even a headband that tells the machine whether I am really asleep and at what stage - like a true home PSG study! Oh, and it would be less than $1000.00.

Bons

Post by Bons » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:46 pm

LSAT wrote:
Bons wrote:Probably around January of 2016, since I qualify for a new ASV in November of 2015. That pretty much happened with the PR machines when I got my current one.
Because you qualify doesn't mean you have to run out and get a new one in that month.

That is true, but the ASV and I don't get along well. My 5-8 BPM is outside the parameters of the Respironics machine, and I've been told that I might do better on the Resmed version. I'm okay once I can finally fall asleep and switch to the automatic breathing (I'm the rare breed that breathes faster and has a higher heart rate when sleeping), but falling asleep takes forever. I spend a long time fighting against the machine while I'm on awake/conscious mode of breathing, and it is trying to "help" me when I don't need help (and causing hyperventilation). Insurance company won't pay for the switch because when I'm asleep my AI is slightly below 5. So, yes, I'm hoping to run right out and get a new machine ASAP and counting down the months until my 5 years is up.