Masks - questions from a newbie

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gary1231

Masks - questions from a newbie

Post by gary1231 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:56 am

Did not see a thread specifically devoted to masks on the CPAP Basics Table of Contents. Didn't see anything recent in the front page threads or product news.

Obviously everyone is going to have their own preferences when it comes to masks. And probably a lot of people just get used to using the mask they are given by their insurance company/CPAP supplier. It's not like at a car dealership where you can test drive as many cars as you want until you find what you like. During my sleep study, I was given two options, a full face or one that just covered the nose. I chose the full face because I felt like it would be more beneficial. I was given the ResMed Quattro FX.

After being non-compliant for over a year, I want to get back on the machine. I just wanted to know what my options are when it comes to choice of masks and what other peoples' experiences have been. Obviously it is going to take some getting used to when wearing any mask, but I guess once you're asleep it really doesn't matter what you are wearing.

I don't know if I breathe through my mouth at night or not. So I can't say if nasal pillows would be a good alternative for me.

If a thread or threads already exist discussing this topic, please point me to them.

john5396

Re: Masks - questions from a newbie

Post by john5396 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:13 pm

Gary,

My first question to you is are you a mouth breather during the day? That is now while you are sitting infronmt of your computer reading this, are you breating through your mouth? If you are then a full face/hybrid mask would be a likelt recommendation.

If not, then a nasal or pillows mask would be appropriate. If you have trouble keeping your mouth closed while you sleep, then a pillows or nasal mask would still work, but a chinstrap or mounth tape might be required.

Mask choice is all about comfort, so what one person loves, (I love the airfit P10 pillows), another cannot stand. What was the challenge that led you to drop out of compliance before? Leaks waking you up? clostrafobia? rubbing? other?

What would make you more comfortable with your therapy?

tortoisegirl

Post by tortoisegirl » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:59 pm

I think a good DME should allow you to test drive the masks. Mine did. I literally tried on 7 masks when I got my machine, and still ended up taking home the one I hated the least as they didn't have what I needed in stock. Went to a larger location and chose the first one I tried on (what I wanted to begin with), although they tried two sizes on me. I was able to swap out the mask for no added cost (unless new one cost more) within 30 days. Policies vary, but many DMEs will have some sort of mask exchange policy. The manufacturer's let them "return" them, so its not like they are out the money for all those masks.

I can share that I was sure I'd need a full face mask due to mouth breathing when I lie down (don't seem to get enough air), and chronic congestion. Ended up taking home nasal pillows that first night and they worked fine breathing wise. I however found them very uncomfortable (air blowing in nostrils), didn't want to deal with an additional chin strap, had leaks galore with all the nasal pillows I tried, and wanted the option to mouth breathe (especially with congestion). Turns out I like the full face much better, even when only considering comfort. Hopefully you'll get the chance to try several types of masks under pressure while lying down. Also, each type of mask will have many different brand & model & size options. Some DMEs have much more of a mask selection than others.

I think you'll just have to go with what works best at the time of your fitting, than adjust if necessary. I found it very helpful to browse through the masks on CPAP.com before going to my DME. The main types are full face, nasal, and nasal pillows, but more specifically, total face (literally your entire face), full face (nose & mouth), nasal (mouth), nasal pillows (a small part of the cushions enters the nostrils), nasal prong (prongs enter further into the nostrils), and hybrid (nasal pillows plus cushion over mouth). Especially glad I did some pre-research as my DME didn't have any floor models...they brought sealed packages forward from the back, so I couldn't really get a good look until they were fitting me.

I had made a list of full face masks without forehead supports. They didn't have a single one at that location. I was able to get a Quattro FX at another location and thankfully that has worked great. Otherwise I'd try the Airfit F10. I think if they had floor models of them I would have eliminated many of them before even trying them on (for example, I knew I wouldn't be able to tolerate a forehead support...can't stand anything around my head due to chronic pain). Its very rare to stick with your first mask. DMEs are very used to swaps, whether its right away or when you are eligible for a new mask (usually after 3 or 6 months).

Good luck starting back up again! Hopefully you have a supportive DME. Especially if the mask was a hindrance to your compliance before, I'd put some extra effort into getting a good fitting at a DME. Having them go over the options, measuring you for size, trying them on (hopefully lying down with your therapy pressure), and giving you tips specific to that mask. Best wishes.

gary1231

Post by gary1231 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:14 pm

Thanks for the posts, guys. Sorry it took me so long to get back here.

I have what the doctor calls tactile sensitivity - I don't like things touching me. I can't wear hats at all. I would try to sleep with the full face mask on and found it difficult to fall asleep and I would wake up and could not get back to sleep.

I just thought that the full face would be best for me. My neurologist suggested trying a Wisp and see if I like that better. She also showed me nasal pillows.

My DME provider is Apria. They have a storefront in a strip mall near me, that is where I picked up my machine. They also have a warehouse nearby, I guess that is what supplies the store and they also do home deliveries. I am going to contact them and see what my options are.

Thanks.