Resmed S9 Auto or S9 CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Stevoreno_55

Re: Resmed S9 Auto or S9 CPAP?

Post by Stevoreno_55 » Thu May 29, 2014 3:30 pm

robysue wrote:
jimmye4golf wrote:Well the DME called today and told me all she could get was a Respironics. I've read they were good machines but I want a Resmed S9.
For the Resprionics (PR) machines, here's what you need to know:

BEST: PR System One Series 60 CPAP Auto with A-Flex (model number will have 560 in the middle of it). Has an optional heated hose and it is every bit as good as the Resmed S9 AutoSet.

Next Best: PR System One Series 60 CPAP PRO with C-Flex+ (model number will have 460 in the middle of it.) This also has an optional heated hose and it is comparable to the Resmed S9 Elite. It's a full efficacy data fixed CPAP machine. This machine does have a very, very limited ability to run in Auto mode for up to 30 days total.

BIG GAP to the machines to AVOID:

BAD machine: PR System One Series 60 CPAP Plus with C-Flex (model number will have 260 in the middle of it.) This machine has a heated hose option, but it is still a brick: All it records is usage data---i.e. how long you use the machine each night. This machine is the equivalent of the Resmed S9 Escape.

BAD machine: PR System One Series 60 CPAP SE with Flex (model number will have 220 in the middle of it). This machine is a brick with an annoying lit LED screen that can't be turned off if I recall correctly. But it does have an optional heated hose.
She said the two machines were identical other than looks.
Most people really can't tell the difference between sleeping with a Resmed S9 AutoSet/Elite and a PR System One Auto/Pro machine. There are some differences that are important to a small minority of people, but just as many people who can tell a difference wind up preferring the PR System One as the Resmed S9. In other words, there's nothing inferior about the PR System One AUTO as compared to the Resmed S9 AutoSet.
She said both machines are factory set to whatever the Dr prescribes and none of the functions work on screen because it's all locked so the patient can't change the pressures. So I told her if she can't get me the Resmed S9 Autoset or Elite I would call the Dr back and find a place where I could. All of a sudden she locates one at on of their other locations and it will be here Friday or Saturday. I'm so glad I found this site. Great info and great people. Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I will have more questions when I start using it.
When you go to pick up the machine, be absolutely sure of which machine she's setting you up with. DMEs do pull last minute switcheroos and tell people that the S9 Auto Escape is just the same as the S9 AutoSet ...
First of all; a very detailed and informative post there Robysue; I'll have to decide next month what kind of a machine I want. In the last part of your post you stated that DMEs do pull last minute switcheroos and tell people that the S9 Auto Escape is just the same as the S9 AutoSet. Is it? From previous discussions I have read on this board others have said to stay away from an S9 Escape because it's a piece of junk. Would that be an accurate statement?

Stevoreno_55
MS Gulf Coast
05/29/14

robysue

Post by robysue » Fri May 30, 2014 9:08 am

Stevoreno_55 wrote:
robysue wrote: When you go to pick up the machine, be absolutely sure of which machine she's setting you up with. DMEs do pull last minute switcheroos and tell people that the S9 Auto Escape is just the same as the S9 AutoSet ...
First of all; a very detailed and informative post there Robysue; I'll have to decide next month what kind of a machine I want. In the last part of your post you stated that DMEs do pull last minute switcheroos and tell people that the S9 Auto Escape is just the same as the S9 AutoSet. Is it? From previous discussions I have read on this board others have said to stay away from an S9 Escape because it's a piece of junk. Would that be an accurate statement?
The Resmed S9 Auto Escape is NOT the same as the S9 AutoSet.

The S9 Auto Escape is a (half) brain-dead brick machine: it does NOT record leak data. It does record summary AHI data---but the AHI is NOT broken down into types of events. It does NOT record detailed data: There is no wave form data recorded and there is no information about when the events occur, how long each event lasts, or what type of event it was. The S9 Auto Escape does NOT record snore data or flow limitation data. And, to top it off, the S9 Auto Escape uses an OLD auto algorithm instead of the newer algorithm used in the S9 AutoSet. In particularly, since the S9 Auto Escape does not distinguish between CAs and OAs, its auto algorithm is also set up so that it does NOT respond to OAs that happen when the pressure is above 10 cm. That's not much help if you're trying to run in auto mode at higher pressures.

Stevoreno_55

Post by Stevoreno_55 » Fri May 30, 2014 3:01 pm

robysue wrote:
Stevoreno_55 wrote:
robysue wrote: When you go to pick up the machine, be absolutely sure of which machine she's setting you up with. DMEs do pull last minute switcheroos and tell people that the S9 Auto Escape is just the same as the S9 AutoSet ...
The Resmed S9 Auto Escape is NOT the same as the S9 AutoSet.

The S9 Auto Escape is a (half) brain-dead brick machine: it does NOT record leak data. It does record summary AHI data---but the AHI is NOT broken down into types of events. It does NOT record detailed data: There is no wave form data recorded and there is no information about when the events occur, how long each event lasts, or what type of event it was. The S9 Auto Escape does NOT record snore data or flow limitation data. And, to top it off, the S9 Auto Escape uses an OLD auto algorithm instead of the newer algorithm used in the S9 AutoSet. In particularly, since the S9 Auto Escape does not distinguish between CAs and OAs, its auto algorithm is also set up so that it does NOT respond to OAs that happen when the pressure is above 10 cm. That's not much help if you're trying to run in auto mode at higher pressures.
Thanks Robysue.

Stevoreno_55

Post by Stevoreno_55 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:53 pm

Last edited by Stevoreno_55 on Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robysue

Post by robysue » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:10 pm

I haven't deleted your PMs.

When I read them they are moved from the Outbox to the Sent folder.

I haven't responded to the PMs because, quite frankly, I don't have much to say about O2 concentrators. I've read them and I'm still trying to think of something that I might be able to help you with.

KathyJL

Post by KathyJL » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:30 pm

Thanks for the clinical manual, Pugsy! I needed that!!
Daily user of CPAP since 2009.
Use very low humidity or pass through.
Slightly heated hose. Hose cozy.
Masks: Alternate between N30i, Aloha, Tap Pap, & occasional BleepSleep.

jimmye4golf

Post by jimmye4golf » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:18 pm

Well they said I woukd be getting the S9 Elite but she brought me the S9 autoset. Nice little surprise! I have it all set up and ready to go. I cant wait for the day when I wake up and feel somewhat refreshed.

Jimmye4golf

jimmye4golf

Post by jimmye4golf » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:40 pm

Jimmye4golf

robysue

Post by robysue » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:57 pm

Your picture is too fuzzy.

Answer the question in the Red Box and you'll be able to tell what you've got.

If it says AutoSet, you have an S9 AutoSet, which is a full data Auto PAP.

If it says Elite, you have an S9 Elite, which is a full efficacy data straight CPAP machine.

If it says Escape or Escape Auto, then you've got a brick or a half-brick respectively.

jimmye4golf

Post by jimmye4golf » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:54 pm

Sorry about that. I can read it on my phone but not after uploading it. Its an autoset!

Jimmye4golf

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:33 pm

The Latinist wrote: I'm not sure there is any physical difference between the two machines…it may simply be a software difference.
having taken apart an elite, a vpap auto, and a vpap adapt, I can confirm that they're all identical inside, the software is the *only* difference.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.