Slightly off topic: Mattress Toppers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
john5396

Re: Slightly off topic: Mattress Toppers

Post by john5396 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:05 pm

We used a 2 inch topper to extend the life of a pretty worn materess. We got 7 extra years.

When in the matress store we found a great variety of feels with different braqnds/configurations. The all memory foam matresses did feel like it was hard to roll over, we didnt have that problem with the 2in topper.

I'd suggest going with the topper, it is alot cheaper of an experiment than a $1K to $5K matress.

codinqueen

Post by codinqueen » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:46 pm

our mattress we just bought last month from QVC was less than $800.00 for the 2 pieces, box spring base and top mattress in King size. Best price I found after months of looking for something under 1K. And very comfy, but if we had decided it wasn't right for us, we could have returned it within 30 days, with no S/H charge, and no re-stocking fee.

Pressure 6-10 cm

djhall

Post by djhall » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:41 pm

My fiancee and I both had problems with our mattress last year and we were pretty sure it was just too soft and wasn't providing the support we needed. We were both leery of finding it too difficult to roll over on the memory foam mattresses and we weren't sure if the medium firm mattress would become too soft over time. We ended up buying a firm mattress and putting a thin cool gel memory foam topper over it to soften it a bit and we are both very happy with the result. The thin foam topper softens the feel of the firm mattress, it doesn't let us sink far enough to create difficulty rolling over, it dampens movement caused by the other person being restless, and it can be replaced with a newer or thicker or thinner one if we want to adjust the feel in the future.

Don't know if that helps anyone, but it worked for us.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:26 pm

Have they invented a mattress that keeps my husband from ripping the covers off me when he tosses and turns?
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:24 pm

I'm always tugging to get my side of the covers back. I've even brought extra blankets to bed; he got them too.
Our mattress topper always slid around. Sometimes we would both be up in the middle of the night, remaking the bed.
I do NOT miss the topper!

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:48 am

Janknitz wrote:Have they invented a mattress that keeps my husband from ripping the covers off me when he tosses and turns?

You have to do the Scandinavian way - separate duvets.

Actually when I first start cpap I made a topper out of two old duvets. If you have any comforters/duvets laying around the house try putting them on top of the mattress.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:02 am

chunkyfrog wrote:I'm always tugging to get my side of the covers back. I've even brought extra blankets to bed; he got them too.
Our mattress topper always slid around. Sometimes we would both be up in the middle of the night, remaking the bed.
I do NOT miss the topper!
What are you two doing??

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Redonthehead

Post by Redonthehead » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:17 pm

Janknitz wrote:My husband and I had a little romantic weekend at a Victorian Inn, and there was a feather bed on top of the mattress. We both slept SO well and without the usual aches and pains. So we are now thinking of investing in some sort of mattress topper.
you really liked this one - perhaps call the Inn and ask if they will tell you the make and model? Seems to me you would be money ahead buying something you know works.

djhall

Post by djhall » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:30 pm

Redonthehead wrote:you really liked this one - perhaps call the Inn and ask if they will tell you the make and model? Seems to me you would be money ahead buying something you know works.
Such a practical and obvious suggestion.... in retrospect I'm amazed no one mentioned it before!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:37 pm

Many hotels are in partnership with their suppliers--sometimes you can buy mattresses or linens through the hotel.
When we stayed at Westin, they could arrange for shipment to our home and payment on checkout.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:30 pm

Just wanted to report back.

We bought the 3" foam topper last weekend, and it's been out on our dining room table gassing off all week. I was seriously worried about this as I was having some allergy and asthma symptoms while it was out there. But the odor decreased noticeably, and last night we decided to put it on the bed.

I think having the filtered air from the CPAP helps, because I didn't have any respiratory issues sleeping on it last night. There's a cover that comes with the foam topper, and that was a good barrier, too.

All I can say is AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! It felt great! It was like someone hugging me all night long (my husband can no longer snuggle all night because he has a painful herniated disk )

I still woke and had to turn a few times. It was not too difficult to turn, but I can see why it might be because you really sink down into the foam. My hip ached, but very mild compared to how it has been feeling lately. The other thing that worried me was I slept on a friend's memory foam bed once and I felt like I was sleeping upside down because the top of me sunk in deeper than the bottom--it felt like my feet were in the air and my head was down--like an astronaut before launch. But I didn't have that issue with this topper. I felt like I was in really good alignment.

My husband said he slept well on one side, but his arm bothered him on the other side--I think he needs a pillow to support that arm. BTW, he had his sleep test, they found mild SA and recommended side sleeping instead of a CPAP. He prefers side sleeping, but it's challenging with his herniated cervical disk--he has a special pillow that helps.

I REALLY didn't want to get out of bed this morning, and I'm looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow--the only day I ever get to.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:54 pm

A little suggestion Jan.... If the foamy starts to slide up or down on you, I found that if I put my mattress cover OVER the foamy it stays perfectly in place. Mattress, foamy, mattress cover, sheets, you and hubby in that order........ . I would not trade mine for anything. AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH so comfy.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

HerbM

Post by HerbM » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:21 pm

Janknitz wrote:Have they invented a mattress that keeps my husband from ripping the covers off me when he tosses and turns?
Yes, it is called a twin mattress (or rather a pair of them.)

--
Sweet Dreams,
HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-14 w/AHI: 0.2 avg for 7-days

"We can all breath together or we will all suffocate alone."

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:43 pm

nanwilson wrote:A little suggestion Jan.... If the foamy starts to slide up or down on you, I found that if I put my mattress cover OVER the foamy it stays perfectly in place. Mattress, foamy, mattress cover, sheets, you and hubby in that order........ . I would not trade mine for anything. AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH so comfy.
This topper comes with a cover that tucks UNDER the regular mattress, like a giant fitted sheet, so I'm hoping it won't slide around too much. If it does, I'm going to get a roll of that nubby no-slip rubber grip stuff to put between the mattress and the pad.

Funny, I can't wait to go to sleep tonight--I'm really looking forward to the soft, cushy bed. I may never get out of bed tomorrow!

Herb, my parents slept in side by side twin beds with a single bedspread so it looked like one bed when made up. It is a good solution sometimes--my mom liked lots of blankets and cranking up the electric blanket while Dad could barely stand a sheet. Not a great solution for our house because we do like to "snuggle" , but with the Sleep Number bed we can each have our desired degree of firmness (my husband is the softy, LOL!).