Homeless W/Severe Sleep Apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dotyj

Homeless W/Severe Sleep Apnea

Post by dotyj » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:29 pm

bonjour good people.

About a two months ago I finished a sleep study at "Sleep Diagnostics of Michigan." The reported that I responded well to the treatment and would need a CPAP. This was paid for by the county but the county nor the state will help with durable equipment nor any other organization I could locate locally.

Well I have no money. It is good that I do not smoke, drink, gamble, or any of the other good vices; if one may consider any vice good.

I live in Michigan's lower peninsula about 100 miles north of Grand Rapids.

I am homeless man and have been seeking work diligently for a number of years.
Health problems are as a plague for me.
I do sleep outdoors year around even in the winter; without heat most of the time. I can walk to a store or the local library to get warm during business hours. You would be surprised how a person can get used to the cold. I seem to be able to bare the cold walking barefoot in the snow. I often find myself face down in it. It seems the snow melts quickly and then splat, ice.. Its good fun. But then, I am getting to old for that fun.
Sorry, I do wander away from my focus often enough.

I have been searching on the internet and by word of mouth in the area I live for a period of time now. But I have had no success with finding an old or used CPAP.
There is a distributor near my nest that sells and supports the RESMED and has a great machine 'S9" w/humidifier.
It seems that is only a wish to get a nice machine such as the "S9".

I have an old generator and solar panels to power the thing so that is not a problem. I do not run the genny but, a few folks say they may help me with some gasoline on occasion for the CPAP.

I was thinking this past summer that should I gain a better nights sleep it may facilitate my feeling better and my health to return. In turn, I may find it within myself to be more attractive to finding employment. So many days I am exhausted or sick. Who would want to hire a person as sickly appearing as me. It seems there are not to many employers out there that will consider.

I have a post office box or can have a package shipped to the local DHS (dept of human services).

I want to thank you for reading my plea.

Thank you!

jos

I joined this forum with hopes to find a used machine that some one would willingly donate.

Sir NoddinOff

Re: Homeless W/Severe Sleep Apnea

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:49 am

BUMP. This is an incredibly sad story and almost slipped off the first page without any replies. (Which is hard to believe) I know lots of people on this forum hoard CPAP machines, masks etc. I can find a few lightly used masks in my closet and a newish hose for you when you get a used machine, Maybe some kind souls will respond, and possibly ship you a machine or mask, hose, chinstrap or whatever.

Man, other than that I don't know what to say but good luck and I hope you get better. BTW, I'll keep bumping this up to make sure you get the equipment you need. A side issue: I'm not sure solar panels will be able to charge batteries enough to keep you running all night, however someone more knowledgeable than me can address that issue. Search your souls CPAPtalkers, it's the holiday season after all

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:01 pm

There are people here that routinely have machines/masks either very cheap or even free - log on as often as possible and you should have some luck soon.

SabrinaFaire

Post by SabrinaFaire » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:02 pm

I was just recently dx and don't have any old equipment. I do hope you're able to find some help though. Could perhaps the United Way assist with housing or even a cpap machine? We just had a donation rally here at work and they said that they help people get back on their feet, that's why I mention it. My FIL has a lot of medical problems and were it not for us would also be homeless, so I really feel for you.

stillsleepdeprived

Post by stillsleepdeprived » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:06 pm

I just sent you a private message (PM).........

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:07 pm

I don't have equipment or supplies to offer but here is a link to the ASAA Assistance program: http://www.sleepapnea.org/resources/cpa ... ogram.html

dotyj

Post by dotyj » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:28 pm

Good day to you all.

Thank you all for your kind replies and thoughts. I never intended to make this plight I have seem sad. I have great spirit and look at each new day to be full of possibilities. It seems people feel worse than I do over my situation, but, it could always be more terrible than it seems. The Christ carries my burdens and all I need to do it make it from day to day. So, no worries.

I did check the ASAA organization site. It seems they may have had a rush on equipment and are not taking orders at this time. But, I may have not read it correctly. And another difficulty is coming up with the initial fee they charge for used units.
Should a device present its self, there are consumables and I will hope that I will find a way to obtain those as time passes.

When I went for the titration study we decided to use a nose only mask and it worked great for me. It seems I awoke only once or twice with my mouth open and went back to sleep. So, I responded well to the CPAP.

I spent twenty-three years in electronics and industrial electric. With my knowledge I can find good way to power the device without being on the grid. I use batteries with my solar panel and can easily during summer month power a 90watt S9 through a couple nights; in winter that will be a different effort which I feel that I can overcome.

I do not watch television but I enjoy the small portable radio for the news and pundit musing.

Merci!!

jos

balor123

Post by balor123 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:03 pm

That's a real bummer! I'd add that there are several decent options that avoid the CPAP actually. There's a device to hold your tongue forward (name?), ProVent, simple nasal strips, and mandibular advancement. They cost money too but are significantly cheaper and most importantly require no power or regular replacement of expensive supplies. Probably most relevant to you, though, is that you might consider simple behavioral adjustment. The simple t-shirt backwards with a ball in the T is one option. Another is to sleep on an incline. An even simpler and more effective technique might be sleep upright altogether. If you can sleep in the cold, then that should be easy for you. I've done it a few times and it's not as hard as you would think.

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:34 pm

I don't have a machine to spare, but can send you a mask and hose if you can find a machine - keep talking to us and something will turn up.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:05 pm

If Mark has a used machine, maybe we could pool a little fund to pay for it. I am pretty poor right now but I could add a small amount.

cpapist

Post by cpapist » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:16 pm

Don't you think dotyj is a fraud? I mean walking barefoot in Michigan snows?

Sounds like a college kid who is wasting time.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:26 pm

There are all kinds of people in the world and they do all kinds of things... It's very possible he's eccentric, and wouldn't be the first to show up on this forum by a long shot. But is that a reason to be suspicious? Look at some of the other stuff he talks about - not very 'kidlike' to me.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:30 pm

cpapist wrote:Don't you think dotyj is a fraud? I mean walking barefoot in Michigan snows?

Sounds like a college kid who is wasting time.
Of course he could be. But what if he isn't?

cpapist

Post by cpapist » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:02 pm

If dotyj is legitimate, he needs a social worker, not a bunch of bleeding hearts on a forum. Between the state of Michigan and the Feds, there are 172 programs to help the poor. Then there are many charitable orgs and churches in Michigan.

If dotyj is a kid prankster, he needs a swift kick in the butt.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:08 pm

If cpapist was a serious poster he/she would register.