$60 for 1 ounce of molded plastic. $960/lb.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Chuck Connors

$60 for 1 ounce of molded plastic. $960/lb.

Post by Chuck Connors » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:33 pm

In the past, I've really never paid much attention to the cost of of medical equipment. That changed when I noted the $60 price tag for the ResMed Quattro FX cushion, which weighs 1 ounce (in the bag). That works out to $960 per pound. I'm sure it's high quality plastic, though. There is nothing technical at all about this molded piece of plastic. The entire healthcare system is a complex mess, but I really think the medical manufacturers bring a lot of regulations and oversight on themselves when they try to stick it to the consumers. I'd like to think they are able to charge such obscene prices due to lack of competition, but I'm not sure that it's as simple as that. Things will change over time, that I know. The sooner, the better. -Chuck-

jdm2857

Re: $60 for 1 ounce of molded plastic. $960/lb.

Post by jdm2857 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:54 pm

If you don't like ResMed's price for plastic (it's silicone, by the way) then find yourself
a plastic supplier, buy an ounce, and use it with your mask.

What's that you say? It won't work?

Well, maybe, just maybe, that's why a mask cushion costs more than an ounce of plastic does.
jeff

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:10 am

I'm surprised some Chinese manufacturer hasn't started making bootleg replacement masks cushions or entire masks.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:18 am

I just bought 2 new sealed in package cushions for my Quattro FFM for $55 with free shipping on E-bay

you might consider going in this direction if you are paying out of pocket like me.

Dave

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

mollete

Post by mollete » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:22 am

Chuck Connors wrote:That works out to $960 per pound.
Consider yourself lucky!

If you were buying the silicone as breast implants (although maybe we don't really want to go down that road), you'd be paying about 6 thousand a pound.

mollete

Post by mollete » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:31 am

mollete wrote:...you'd be paying about 6 thousand a pound.
Of course, that price includes installation.

Perhaps money could be saved if you DIYed. I'm sure if you posed that question on http://www.breastimplantstalk.com you could find the Clinician Manual and do a little BWing.

khauser

Post by khauser » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:41 am

Next time you buy tires for your car, consider how much you're paying for a relatively small amount of rubber and steel.

And THAT is a product with wide demand, as compared to the narrow market we're talking about here.

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:33 pm

Chuck Connors wrote:In the past, I've really never paid much attention to the cost of of medical equipment. That changed when I noted the $60 price tag for the ResMed Quattro FX cushion, which weighs 1 ounce (in the bag). That works out to $960 per pound. I'm sure it's high quality plastic, though. There is nothing technical at all about this molded piece of plastic. The entire healthcare system is a complex mess, but I really think the medical manufacturers bring a lot of regulations and oversight on themselves when they try to stick it to the consumers. I'd like to think they are able to charge such obscene prices due to lack of competition, but I'm not sure that it's as simple as that. Things will change over time, that I know. The sooner, the better. -Chuck-
Oh please -- nothing technical? Do you know how much work goes into designing, testing or manufacturing one of these things? Look at it and check out ResMed's patents online. They are pretty darned technical.

Want a cheap cushion, then buy a cheap mask. There are plenty of them out there, probably a lot that work as good as the QFX anyway. These cushions seem to last pretty long anyway as long as they are washed properly, daily. My QFX, which I don't use daily, is about 8 months old. The original cushion is very faintly yellowing but that's it. No problems otherwise. My V2 isn't yellowed a bit, has kept its seal pretty well and is also over 6 months old.

So overall, I really can't complain about the expense of cushions when you amortize out their lifespans. A lot of medical tests or procedures cost a heck of a lot more than $60 so this isn't a really awful overcharge. People pay more than that for a pair of pants. If you are broke, then that's another story, but then Medicaid may be able to help. And in 60 days the ACA exchanges start, so that will also help lower the costs charged too. I know my BCBS doesn't pay the DME supplier anywhere near $60 for a cushion under their negotiated prices.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:53 pm

You're not just paying for the raw material. You're paying for the manufacture, the R&D, the advertising, inventory control and shipping, the wholesaler and retailer, the insurance handling, and mostly, the liability. Plus a hefty profit for all involved.

Consider a loaf of artisan bread that can sell for $5 or $6 around here. It uses maybe $0.60 worth of ingredients. But that doesn't factor in the time, the special equipment, the production costs, etc. I loved making my own bread because it saved a lot of money and was a fun and enjoyable activity for me. But many people can't devote the time and lack the skill. So if they want a fancy loaf, they pay for it.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

sleepy1235

Post by sleepy1235 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:59 am

You are right and wrong:

The cost isn't just the plastics. There is the design, the manufacturer, the testing, the certifications, quality control systems, inventory and shipping. Also, the plastic probably has to be a specialty plastic made in small batches and it has to be hypoallegenic.

The production runs are small which doesn't means there are few units for the cost of the molds and equipment set up.

However, the mark up probably is high. Just costing it in terms of $/lb. isn't a fair analysis.

I would look at alternative supplies and equivalents.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:22 pm

In addition to all the other costs, dealing with various regulatory agencies (such as the FDA in the US) adds a SIGNIFICANT cost to the product. Don't think it does, just do some consulting for various pharmaceuticals .. You'll quickly discover that dealing with the regulatory agencies is a significant cost. But then that's one thing that tends to keep us safe from unethical businesses (in the US and around the world), who really don't care who they hurt in search of a profit. And if you don't think that would happen, just ask the owners of the dogs that died due to dog food that was tainted with melamine (back in 2007). It was suspected that "adding melamine, with its high amount of nitrogen, to wheat gluten would give the illusion of a higher protein content". (See: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/in ... usat_N.htm). So, while you might think those regulatory agencies are a nuisance, we can all be fairly certain that our medications and medical devices are safe for us to use because of those agencies. .. Just another side of this argument.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

SomeJoe7777

Post by SomeJoe7777 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:35 pm

If you just consider quantity and price, medical supplies can reach astronomic costs. TobraDex (antibiotic eye drops) is one of the highest priced liquids in the world.

Name brand TobraDex (not the generic) is about $135 for 5 ml.

That's $102,206 per gallon.

allen476

Post by allen476 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:28 pm

One thing that hasn't been mentioned as well is that you are paying for products that were designed and never made. Pharmaceuticals and medical equipment manufacturers spend millions on products that will never see the light of day. Many are ones that don't get regulatory approval and can't be redesigned to meet such.

You are also paying for the billions that the companies lose in product liability cases.

NateS

Post by NateS » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:41 pm

JohnBFisher wrote:In addition to all the other costs, dealing with various regulatory agencies (such as the FDA in the US) adds a SIGNIFICANT cost to the product. Don't think it does, just do some consulting for various pharmaceuticals .. You'll quickly discover that dealing with the regulatory agencies is a significant cost. But then that's one thing that tends to keep us safe from unethical businesses (in the US and around the world), who really don't care who they hurt in search of a profit. And if you don't think that would happen, just ask the owners of the dogs that died due to dog food that was tainted with melamine (back in 2007). It was suspected that "adding melamine, with its high amount of nitrogen, to wheat gluten would give the illusion of a higher protein content". (See: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/in ... usat_N.htm). So, while you might think those regulatory agencies are a nuisance, we can all be fairly certain that our medications and medical devices are safe for us to use because of those agencies. .. Just another side of this argument.
+1!

Regards, Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

newsnore

Post by newsnore » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:02 pm

Chuck Connors wrote:In the past, I've really never paid much attention to the cost of of medical equipment. That changed when I noted the $60 price tag for the ResMed Quattro FX cushion, which weighs 1 ounce (in the bag). That works out to $960 per pound. I'm sure it's high quality plastic, though. There is nothing technical at all about this molded piece of plastic. The entire healthcare system is a complex mess, but I really think the medical manufacturers bring a lot of regulations and oversight on themselves when they try to stick it to the consumers. I'd like to think they are able to charge such obscene prices due to lack of competition, but I'm not sure that it's as simple as that. Things will change over time, that I know. The sooner, the better. -Chuck-
I am inclined to agree with a lot of what you are saying, given that the price of plastic is even more expensive here in NZ - for the same cushion = NZ$102.35.(US $82.80) from one online site. But the complete mask - Quattro FX Full mask with straps = NZ$378.35 (US $305) at present marked down to NZ$350.00 (US $283) - for the same you pay $185 there in the US - even though we are next door neighbors to Aussie - the home of Resmed. I know it is all a numbers game - but you do wonder. I really think if it was opened up to more competition and less restricting and controlling policies, there would be more OSA sufferers diagnosed, more of the 80% who give up CPAP would keep at it (they could afford to try new masks and find the best one for them) more equipment available and at more affordable prices and everyone wins.

Maybe this isn't the best analogy, but after a quick search, there is this 3M Silicone Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator mask ( http://www.amazon.com/3M-Respirator-750 ... B008MCUT86 ) which is not too unlike a CPAP FF mask, but at $23.71 is quite a bit cheaper - obviously many more are made and sold than CPAP ones - but this is partly brought about by there being no controls and restrictions involved with respirator masks and good healthy competition. Hopefully in time!