Tape AND/OR STRAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DarrylM

Tape AND/OR STRAP

Post by DarrylM » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:00 pm

I use Swift FX Nasal Pillows which works well for me. But I recently purchased TAP PAP because I hope to be able to avoid head gear and my chin strap. My three nights with TAP PAP compared unfavorably with the Nasal Pillows but I intend to keep experimenting. My mouth dropped open in the wee hours of the morning. If I cannot train myself to keep my mouth shut I thought I might try tape. What kind of tapes are used? What are some options and pointers that might help me as I experiment?

DreamDiver

Re: Tape AND/OR STRAP

Post by DreamDiver » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:14 pm

DarrylM wrote:I use Swift FX Nasal Pillows which works well for me. But I recently purchased TAP PAP because I hope to be able to avoid head gear and my chin strap. My three nights with TAP PAP compared unfavorably with the Nasal Pillows but I intend to keep experimenting. My mouth dropped open in the wee hours of the morning. If I cannot train myself to keep my mouth shut I thought I might try tape. What kind of tapes are used? What are some options and pointers that might help me as I experiment?
Tape has been used on this forum for stopping leaks. It's more about taping the lips closed. I cannot think of how you could use tape to stabilize the chin, though someone else may have ideas. The TAP PAP will likely demand some sort of strap to keep your mouth closed. You may even need to tape your lips too. Have you tried the PAP CAP?

Since you're a mouth leaker is there any reason why you don't want to try a full face mask?

avi123

Post by avi123 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:58 pm

DarrylM

Post by DarrylM » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:59 pm

I am doing fine with the nasal pillows and a chin strap. I just want to experiment with Tap Pap and tape.

DarrylM

Post by DarrylM » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:00 pm

Is PAP CAP a kind of tape?

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:19 pm

DarrylM wrote:Is PAP CAP a kind of tape?
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pursle ... otton.html

Avi, that chin strap doesn't look like a solution for full face masks - bummer - maybe a little overpriced too. Have you tried it?

DarrylM

Post by DarrylM » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:24 pm

Brands of tape? Types of tape? Advice, pointers about tape? Anybody?

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:37 pm

I am not very knowledgeable about taping but I have read that some use blue painters tape. Others will have to help you more. I have used the clear packing tape but I wouldn't recommend it. I was just experimenting a couple of nights.

jaybeem

Post by jaybeem » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:26 pm

There is a good thread on tape at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74563&st=0&sk=t&sd= ... moval+tape.

I have only taped my mouth once, with a paper tape. It felt like I tried to rip my lips off when I coughed in the night.

Tigerlily

Post by Tigerlily » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:40 am

I just recently started experimenting with this. I use a gentle, fabric 1st aid tape. Now, it is tricky to tape while using the Tap Pap because of the mouth piece coming out of the lips. You have to tape at an angle on the corners of your mouth.

Did it work for me? Nope! As a matter of fact, I think it made me drool more, which made for an uncomfortable, wet tape that kept waking me up.

I'm convinced now that Tap Pap is not for me. Too hard to keep my mouth closed and it gives me a canker sore on my bottom lip.

Never hurts to try it. I hope it works out for you!

Additional Comments: Pressure: 11 , OSCAR software
~ Tigerlily ~

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:20 am

DarrylM wrote:Brands of tape? Types of tape? Advice, pointers about tape? Anybody?
Being the ultimate tightwad back when I was first starting therapy and discovered that my mouth was not always closed, I decided to try taping and decided to use what I had at hand first. In my case it was the blue painter's tape. Not even the "delicate" line.
It worked fine. Horizontal strip to encompass lips. Snug enough to remind the lips to stay closed but not so snug that I couldn't open my mouth if I just HAD to for some reason. A big yawn is enough to break the seal.
Yeah, sometimes the seal was broken due to some drool but not always. For me there was no need to try anything else. It did a good enough job and was easily removed without taking any layers of skin.

Some people have more delicate skin than others...you will need to try to figure out where you skin happens to rate in that department.

I was happy with the left over from painting blue tape....no need to try anything else and no need to spend lots of money trying stuff.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:11 am

DreamDiver wrote:
DarrylM wrote:Is PAP CAP a kind of tape?
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pursle ... otton.html

Avi, that chin strap doesn't look like a solution for full face masks - bummer - maybe a little overpriced too. Have you tried it?

DD, how good is your full face ZZZ Mask by proBasics?

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/zzz-ma ... asics.html

Looking at its cushion I can't tell if it's made with double flaps like those cushions by Resmed.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:45 pm

avi123 wrote:DD, how good is your full face ZZZ Mask by proBasics?
Looking at its cushion I can't tell if it's made with double flaps like those cushions by Resmed.
I like it a lot. It's my go-to mask. Here's a closer look at the mask, but not really a review.
http://youtu.be/L4gYCoM6PlI
I have to use a couple wads of cotton cloth to keep the mask against my face, but it's a small sacrifice for a nearly flat leak line. It's hard to explain without a graphic, so I'll try to do a video about it soon. I also use a cotton liner between the mask and my face. Silicone and sweat in combination makes my face break out. The liner also keeps my nose bridge from getting maimed by the top plain of the mask. That may seem odd, but a lot of masks do that to me, not just the zzz.
It's very comfortable mask, made more comfortable by the cotton liner.

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:55 pm

I've been using 2" 3M Blue #2080 Painter's Tape for about the last 5-years. I have used it every night with great results.

Recently, 3M has changed their adhesive formula....and I suspect their paper composition. The tape is now better than ever for our purposes. You can tell if you have the latest version by checking the model number (#2080) and the width. They have changed the width to 1-7/8"....that's 1/8" less than the original 2" version.

Each night, I use a 10" long strip.....with each end folded down 1/2" (to form removal handles). The tape is applied nearly ear to ear, horizontally.

Tape removal is easy, quick, and painless....so long as I pull parallel to the surface of my face. If I pull the tape perpendicularly away from my face, it'll pull my skin uncomfortably.

I've never had a problem or a safety issue. A couple of times, I experienced a power failure and woke up immediately. There was never a chance of suffocation or difficulty. I've tried chin straps, panty hose, etc. Nothing works better than blue tape for me. It's very comfortable....very practical.

I strongly recommend taping. I wouldn't want to be without my 3M Painter's Tape. It's great stuff.....and it helps me achieve great therapy. My leaks are minimal.....thereby helping me achieve exceptionally low AHI scores. My therapy is a great success because of it.

DarrylM

Post by DarrylM » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:10 pm

Wonderful! I shall try the Painter's blue tape and see what happens. Thanks!