Tape AND/OR STRAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DarrylM

Re: Tape AND/OR STRAP

Post by DarrylM » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:14 pm

One more thing> Pugsy, do you use the Painter's Blue tape with the TAP PAP? Or have you? Any special pointers on that given the mouthpiece situation?

squid13

Post by squid13 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:17 pm

When I taped I used 3M Micropore tape 2 inch. Use chap stick on your lips so the tape won't stick to them.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

DarrylM

Post by DarrylM » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:05 pm

One more question. Pugsy, do you or have you used tape with TAP PAP? If so, any advice or pointers given the mouth piece situation?

DJL

Post by DJL » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:38 am

I tried paper tape but it gets wet during the night and then does not hold very well.
I ended up using Ace Sports Tape, one and a half inches wide. Cut it longer than your mouth width and allow some extra to fold a flap at one end, this will allow the tape to be pull off quickly if required. There are concerns about taping your mouth shut, so read up on the problems/dangers.
I also cut a strip of gauze, the length of my lips and about half an inch wide. I put the gauze in the middle of the tape and this protest my lips when I remove the tape in the morning. I found out when I first started this process that the sports tape was stronger that others, but the down side was that it made my lips sore. When I am applying the tape to my mouth, I open my lips slightly, otherwise I have found that I have tension on my lips and it feels uncomfortable.
Because my mouth can still get dry during the night I have a container of water with a straw in it, so I can use the flap on the tape to pull the corner off my mouth and stick the straw in the corner of my mouth to have a drink.

Dave

DarrylM

Post by DarrylM » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:08 pm

Thanks everyone. Tonight is the night.

Sia

Post by Sia » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:46 am

Tape AND/OR STRAP?
Staple !

(sorry, couldn't resist)

My mom went through a few masks, but in the end the best solution was the Mirage Quattro.

No more leaks, very good values, and best of all, she is really fresh and relaxed in the morning.

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:21 am

Darryl......

I forgot to mention "tongue position"...

When taping, you need to (over time) teach your tongue to park its tip just behind (and up against) your upper front teeth. This'll keep most of your tongue positioned against the roof of your mouth and help stop leaks.

DarrylM

Post by DarrylM » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:48 am

Well I am starting to learn from experience that there's a lot going on that the numbers do not explain. I stayed with the TAP PAP last night but gave up on the tape. My mouth came open too easily and too often so I resorted to my chin strap. I have been getting AHI readings below 2 over the last week. Last night? A whopping 4.6! And yet I felt and feel great!

My speculation: sometimes my low AHI numbers reflect that I have not been asleep as much during the night whereas sometimes a higher (but not too high) AHI reflects that I have fallen into deeper sleep which then triggers some events. ? Who knows. I am disappointed that so far I cannot seem to keep my mouth closed all night long. I relish the prospect of going with just the TAP PAP.