Sinus burning and possible infection??? Ideas?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Teacherman

Sinus burning and possible infection??? Ideas?

Post by Teacherman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:04 pm

I have been using a cpap machine for about 7 years on and off. A f we years back I got a horrible infection. I could smell it. So I went to the doc and he gave me an antibiotic. Since then I have had a few other instances like this one. I now have horrible sinuous and believe I might have some fungus or bacteria up there that the ENTs can't see now or may not know about. Any ideas or infections you about that are caused by cpap machines ??
Thanks for your help
Mike

kteague

Re: Sinus burning and possible infection??? Ideas?

Post by kteague » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:02 am

If you are prone to infections, you may need to be more diligent with cleaning the mask than some of us are. My sleep doctor reprimanded me about that. She asked why I would clean it regularly after I got sick instead of preventatively before something set in. You describe burning - do you also have a lot of foul mucus that could indicate an infection? If it is just dry burning, I'm wondering if your sinuses are just dry and cracked. That happened to me once when I wasn't using a humidifier and it was horribly painful to even breathe. I used a saline nasal spray to moisten up in there and increased my humidity until it healed. Dry sinuses can leave us vulnerable to bacteria that we'd generally fight off when tissues are normal. If you are having recurring infections, maybe your doctor could do a culture and see if something beyond the usual is harbored up in there.

Teacherman

Post by Teacherman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:06 am

I will ask for a culture when I see my ENT. Or do you ask your sleep doc?
Thanks for the idea?
Mike

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:58 am

Teacherman wrote:I will ask for a culture when I see my ENT. Or do you ask your sleep doc?
Thanks for the idea?
Mike
That depends on whether you sleep doctor is an ENT or not. Humidity and cleanliness is key for sinuses infections and so is rinsing the nasal passages.
But remember there are still the other 14-18 hours of the day when you are breathing all sorts of crud that can cause inflammation which can trigger infections.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Teacherman

Post by Teacherman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:10 pm

Anyone try alkalol rinse

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:17 pm

Teacherman, here's a possible way out of trouble.

Go to Amazon.com and purchase a Grossan power sinus irrigation machine. It works REALLY FINE.....you'll love it.

Make your own sinus wash solution with the following formula: 1-gallon distilled water, 3-Tablespoons of Kosher Salt, and 3-Teaspoons of Baking Soda.

I discard a 1/2 cup of water (to make room for the salt and soda) out of a full, fresh gallon...then use a funnel to quickly dump in the salt and baking soda. I can make up a couple of gallons of the stuff in 5-minutes or so. Shake it up and you're ready to go.

When you're ready to do a rinse, pour yourself a drinking glass about 3/4 full....then, microwave for about 40-seconds to bring it up to body temperature. Pour the warmed water/salt/soda solution in your Grossan and rinse away.

You'll rinse out a lot of the infection.....but, more importantly (my opinion), you'll leave behind a salty environment that the sinus nasties don't like to inhabit.

You can research this process by doing a Wiki search on "Neti Pots" and how they work. A Neti Pot is the old-fashioned way to do a sinus rinse and it's not fun. The Grossan is fun. You'll like it.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:23 pm

Looks like a WaterPik to me.
jeff

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:19 pm

Knowing my luck if I used the Grossan the water would come out my ears, or it would pierce my brain.

tuzacat

Post by tuzacat » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:58 pm

Mike, I have been having sinus issues for months now. Just had a CT scan which showed I still have an active infection. Became allergic to the antibiotic of choice on the 3rd time around so my GP is sending me to an ENT. (Appointment on Tuesday.) Since there is a gap between the allergic reaction and the appointment (and, hopefully,treatment )I have been a bit desperate to make myself comfortable. I am taking quite a few herbs to help with the infection and those have helped some so at least I am not getting worse. I read your question about Alkalol so I looked it up online and read a bunch of reviews. Generally, I don't do well with nasal rinses - they seem to aggravate symptoms - but after reading I decided to see if I could get it locally. Found it at one of the local Walgreens. It has definitely helped! I am not "cured" by any stretch of the imagination but I have less pain and am less clogged. I started it on Thursday so it is early days yet. Good luck on your sinus issues!