sleep apnea pillows

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sharon1225

sleep apnea pillows

Post by Sharon1225 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:03 pm

The company I get my CPAP supplies from has several CPAP pillows 2 or 3 are on sale. I was all set to order one, but I can't tell which is best.

* Contour CPAP pillow
It has a little slot on each side for the mask.
* Polar Foam Genesis SleePAP pillow
* Polar foam SleePAP pillow
* SleePAP Pillow

Is the polar foam better than non polar foam and what's the difference between Genesis and the regular polar foam? Which design is better?

I am so confused. I was about ready to flip a coin.

xenablue

Re: sleep apnea pillows

Post by xenablue » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:47 pm

It's almost impossible for someone to help you with this - such an individual thing.

I actually tried using a couple of tiny travel pillows on hand to find a configuration which worked, to then be able to buy a cpap pillow - didn't really help me at all.

I have one with the ends cut out in a "C", a side-sleeping pillow my DH used after shoulder surgery and a Regenesis buckwheat hull pillow. I use the "C" one in our camper, which is where it lives, the Regenesis I use nightly at home. The side-sleeper I haven't tried for a night yet, but it seemed to be OK for a 'test'. I will give this one a full night this weekend now that hubby's done with it.

A lot depends on your sleeping position - I'm a side/stomach sleeper - as well as any back issues or just what's comfortable for you.

It's a pity you can't try them all out first!

cheers,
xena

Sharon1225

Post by Sharon1225 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:40 pm

Yes, it would be nice to try them. I would settle for just knowing the difference between Genesis and non-genesis. What is Genesis when it comes to a pillow?

Maybe flippling a coin isn't a bad idea.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:09 pm

Do a Google search, I think I've seen them on Amazon.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:18 pm

I'm new to this forum, but have used CPAP since 2000 and my favorite pillow for use with CPAP is called a "Square D" pillow. They are hard to find, but are great if you are a side sleeper. As I said, these are a rare find, so you might try a chiropractor's office. I found mine online, but my insurance won't pay for it in conjunction with CPAP. I have found the pillows with a place for your head to sink in are the best, but the ones with a cutout for the mask don't seem to work as well are one would think they should. I'm not sure, but Polar Foam sounds like it would be cool during sleep, if so that sounds like a benefit, since no one wants to wake up sweaty. Let us know which one you get & how it helps.
Good luck,
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

Sharon1225

Post by Sharon1225 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:17 pm

I went ahead and ordered the polar foam. I think the Genesis polar foam is just a newer foam. It's probably better but the other one cost less and I thought it might be almost as good.