Oximeter questions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
junior49

Oximeter questions

Post by junior49 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:19 pm

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I have an appointment next week with my sleep doc and I just got an oximeter from my DME to get data for that appt. It is a nonin model 3012. They didn't show me how to use it so I'm not sure if the part with the wire coming out goes on the top of my index finger or on the bottom? I've been looking at pictures and they all seem to show the wire part on top. I'm a little confused because there is a small picture of a finger on the bottom side not the top.

Also, the DME said they only need data for one night so I can pick a night between now and tuesday. I want to use it every night and view my own data on resscan (I'm assuming I can see data from oximeter, I haven't checked yet). I figure the more data the better. I just want to make sure this won't mess up the DME or doctor in any way. I can't think of why using it more nights than one would be bad, but I wanted to ask to make sure.

greatunclebill

Re: Oximeter questions

Post by greatunclebill » Fri May 25, 2012 11:08 pm

the wire should be on top i think. you can go to nonin dot com and find a picture of it on a hand if you fish around a little bit. regarding the rest, don't get creative. do as you were instructed and no more. if you goof it up and they have to re-do the test it may be on your dime, not the insurance. i'm sure you didn't get a software disk to be able to read it.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

BasementDwellingGeek

Post by BasementDwellingGeek » Sat May 26, 2012 5:38 am

A quick Google search produced this http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/documen ... er_eng.pdf there is a picture labeled "G".

bdg
(PR System One REMstar Pro CPAP Machine with C-Flex Plus and related humidifier as backup)

There are two types of people in this world. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete data

-tim

Post by -tim » Sat May 26, 2012 7:24 am

The sensor is just two lights on one end and two sensors on the other. One light is red and one is infrared and it uses the differences between then to tell how much oxygen is bonded to your blood. All its doing is looking through your finger and it doesn't matter.

The wire on the bottom makes it easier to put on and you won't pull it as much. Also don't put the tape too tight. Extra tape along your hand and arm might keep the wire out of the way. The big problem is dealing the contraption if you have to get up at night. The connection between the sensor and xpod adapter seems to be easier to disconnect.

junior49

Post by junior49 » Sat May 26, 2012 7:39 am

Thanks, but that is not the oximeter I'm using. The model 3012 has a gray thing you stick your finger into, you don't have to fold anything over. Tim is right in that there are 2 red lights on top and bottom, so maybe it doesn't matter?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat May 26, 2012 7:57 am

ResScan is not compatible with the Nonin (any model) for oximetery data.
There is a ResMed oximeter that it is compatible with . High dollar unit.

SleepyHead is compatible with the CMS recording pulse oximeters. I have the CMS50Dplus and it does work.
I got it from the pulseoxstore. There are other sources available and other models that will work. Just have to make sure that it is a recording pulse ox for overnight use and not a spot check pulse ox.
Costs...depending on where you obtain it and which model. Mine was around $75 I think. I preferred to buy from pulseoxstore in case I needed support for the unit rather than cheaper priced same unit from China seller.
Kevin's instructions for use are much clearer than what comes supplied with the machine.

For models available...http://www.pulseoxstore.com/Downloadable-Pulse-Ox.html

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

-tim

Post by -tim » Sat May 26, 2012 8:00 am

So its a spring clip thing? Those don't matter as long as the light has to go through the finger nail. They don't work sideways... and are painful after a few minutes that way anyway. You still might want to tape up the cord to keep it out of the way.

The 3012 doesn't mean much. Its tends to be Nonin's model number for a series of adapters from their sensors (often a 7000 or 8000 type part number) and the resmed oximeter adapter that plugs in the back of the machine.

Some us are trying to find a cheaper way to get the data into the machine.... The resmed part is about $250 but you need an "3012 xpod" with resmed's own 3 pin connector on it.

Then you need a sensor to plug into that and nonin may have even another type of connector for the lower cost parts.

-tim

Post by -tim » Sat May 26, 2012 8:07 am

VikingGnome

Post by VikingGnome » Sat May 26, 2012 3:53 pm

Also, most oximeters record a single night only. If you try recording a second night, it erases the first night. So forget about trying to record multiple nights.

Also, no known software available to CPAP users can read the date on the device you have. Just use it one night and let them tell you about the results.

junior49

Post by junior49 » Sun May 27, 2012 1:47 am

VikingGnome wrote:Also, most oximeters record a single night only. If you try recording a second night, it erases the first night. So forget about trying to record multiple nights.

Also, no known software available to CPAP users can read the date on the device you have. Just use it one night and let them tell you about the results.
My software (resscan 3.16) reads it and has stored the data for multiple sessions.

-tim

Post by -tim » Sun May 27, 2012 5:23 am

VikingGnome wrote:Also, most oximeters record a single night only. If you try recording a second night, it erases the first night. So forget about trying to record multiple nights.

VikingGnome,
you left out the words "low cost" or "affordable" or "not insanely expensive"

Most vendors have an insanely expensive solution that works very day and records the time.

The question does the poster want to pay less than $100 and turn on the SpO2 thing at the same time as putting on the mask and download the data the next day or drop over a grand and not have to worry about that minor issue for up to a whole week?