new upgrade after 800+ nights - new machine, 1st night

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lebowski8

new upgrade after 800+ nights - new machine, 1st night

Post by lebowski8 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:35 pm

I finally got a new machine - i now have a Respironics PR System One REMstar Auto CPAP Machine with A-Flex. my old machine was also a Respironics, m series cpap.
i'm looking forward to trying it out. i decided i'd try the auto mode -- i'd been using straight cpap with a pressure of 10.5 or 11 for quite sometime, and my 30day ahi is around 0.7.

anybody long-time users made a similar move recently, from an old machine to new, with any feedback or reactions to share??
Hoser since April 2009.
Feb 2009: AHI 45.8 | BP 142/97 | SpO2: 78.9%
2016: AHI 0.9 | BP 122/81 | SpO2: 96.5%

Stranger: How things been goin'?
The Dude: Ahh, you know. Ups and downs, strikes and gutters.

idamtnboy

Re: new upgrade after 800+ nights - new machine, 1st night

Post by idamtnboy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:37 pm

Not from old machine to new machine but from CPAP to APAP. I've been on the hose for 16 months now. The doc started me out on CPAP at pressure of 9.0, after a couple of weeks on APAP for refined titration. After about 6 months I switched to APAP with a range from 8.0 to 14.0, I think it was. AHIs went up and the pressure fluctuated quite a bit. Just didn't seem to be working so I went back to CPAP at 9.0. About two months ago I decided to try APAP again for no particular reason. This time I set the range from 8.4 to 12.0. That seems to be working quite well. My AHIs are almost always under 1.0. One night I had only 1 event. Why the difference? I don't know, but I'm happy with it and it's quite comfortable. I'll leave it there until there's some good reason to change.

Last edited by idamtnboy on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:42 pm

I started out May 2009 with M Series APAP. I used it till April of this year when the lure of "latest and greatest" new PR S1 bit me. I have always used APAP mode. Just a few weeks ago I got a chance to try PR S1 BiPap in straight BiLevel mode and it won me over the first night.

Man my closet is full of machines....I have a backup for the backup's backup.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:11 am

I still have my original Remstar APAP with C-Flex I started with in 2008. I have no idea when I would qualify for a new machine, or if I should even be concerned. I have gotten regular replacements of masks, and the machine still blows air up my nose. That's pretty much it.

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:21 am

Most insurances, including Medicare, will authorize a new machine after 5 years of use. If you've been sleeping about 7 hrs a night with the machine..... that works out to about 13,000 hours on it.

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.