EYE BAGS--EEK!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Resister

EYE BAGS--EEK!

Post by Resister » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:10 pm

Last night I slept longer than I've ever with the C-Pap....9 hours! However, I woke up with puffy under eyes.

Coincidence? Anyone else experience bigger eye bags using the machine?
~Mama is happy when she sleeps with Pap-py~

Merryj

Re: EYE BAGS--EEK!

Post by Merryj » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:32 pm

It does seem like my eyes are much baggier underneath now. I don't feel tired - but it makes me look tired! is it related to CPAP use?

Resister

Post by Resister » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:40 pm

Ok, if it's both of us there must be more.

Not a good sign!

FeelingBetter

Post by FeelingBetter » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:02 pm

I have had terrible bags. I look like I've been bar hopping all night. My nasal mask leaks into my eyes occasionally but not every night. Maybe it's just part of it, I don't know.

Resister

Post by Resister » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:21 pm

Are we the first ones to discover this happens?

M.D.Hosehead

Post by M.D.Hosehead » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:38 am

It's a fairly common problem on this board. I hate it.

In my case, experimenting with different masks, I've learned that it relates to the tightness of the straps around my face and neck, and the pressure of the mask on and around my nose. A mask that puts no pressure on my nose or face, such as this one:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/innome ... e-kit.html

doesn't seem to cause eye bags. Unfortunately, after more than a year of XPAP, they baggage won't go away entirely.

Resister

Post by Resister » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:00 am

OK, maybe I will try that. Woke up with puffy eyes again today. This is a whole new thing

MsBea

Post by MsBea » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:48 pm

I wake up with baggy eyes too but it gets better after a while. I attribute it to the mask and sleeping on my sides.

ems

Post by ems » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:58 pm

Eye cream seems to help a little. I put it on first thing in the morning. Also, try using ice wrapped in a soft towel for about five minutes or so.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Resister

Post by Resister » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:36 pm

Now that I hit 40 AND started Pap, I do need to invest in good cream.

ariana

Post by ariana » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:51 pm

Grateful to see this thread. Eye bags have become like little balloons in the mornings for me, and by the end of the day I am barely into the "okay" range in terms of puffiness. I have developed dry eye, too, and recently had silicone plugs inserted into my tear ducts figuring they might help with both problems. The plugs have done wonders for my dry eye, but alas, nothing much to help the problem with the bags.

Question about nasal pillow masks: is there an advantage to using the Nasal Aire described a few posts up as compared to the Swift FX? In my case, I love the Swift FX, and it's supposed to be so light. But by the time I put on mouth tape AND the Ultimate Chin Strap--the only way I can make it work for me--it is a bit of a contraption. Add to that padding on the straps and a moisturizing eye mask... well, you get the picture.

With all this said, I would not trade for anything the feeling during, and after, a good night's sleep. Still, if there are more ways of coping with the problem, bring them on!

M.D.Hosehead

Post by M.D.Hosehead » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:04 pm

I didn't mean to imply that the Nasal aire is the best choice. There are others that don't appear to squeeze the nose or require an elastic band around the face. For example:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/purita ... rface.html

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... dgear.html

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/aeiome ... rface.html

I've only used the nasalaire and the Optilife, not the others. And I have leak problems with them. It's just my own experience that the eye swelling is less with that kind of interface. It's a pity one just has to keep trying different masks.

sleepysmurf

Post by sleepysmurf » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:47 am

Eye Bags. Strap marks. I look like a zombie when I wake up afer sleeping that long. But I feel good.

napstress

Post by napstress » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:39 pm

I've always had rings under my eyes, but this is over the top. My eyelids look wrinkly, too, like they used to in my 20s when I'd cry myself to sleep about some man who done me wrong. (One happy side-benefit to exhaustion is that I no longer have the energy to spend on men who make me cry).

Anyway, it's funny that you mention it b/c I just noticed it the same week you wrote about it.

I was attributing it to maybe air leaking into my eyes and my eyes tearing, leaving me with a waterlogged look in the morning.

I read that Lucy Liu uses hemorrhoid cream for under-eye circles. Not sure where she applies it, though!
Epworth Sleepiness Scale: 14
Diagnostic study: overall AHI: 0.2 events/hour; overall RDI: 45 events/hour
Titration study: AHI: 6.1; RDI: 27; CPAP pressures: 5-8cm

Not-tired behind my eyes and with a clear, cool head!

Resister

Post by Resister » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:42 pm

napstress wrote:I've always had rings under my eyes, but this is over the top. My eyelids look wrinkly, too, like they used to in my 20s when I'd cry myself to sleep about some man who done me wrong. (One happy side-benefit to exhaustion is that I no longer have the energy to spend on men who make me cry).

Anyway, it's funny that you mention it b/c I just noticed it the same week you wrote about it.

I was attributing it to maybe air leaking into my eyes and my eyes tearing, leaving me with a waterlogged look in the morning.

I read that Lucy Liu uses hemorrhoid cream for under-eye circles. Not sure where she applies it, though!
Hopefully to the eye bags

Might be worth a shot, and definitely cheaper than high-end cream.