what do you think of these results?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
snort12770

what do you think of these results?

Post by snort12770 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:35 pm

I am totally new to all this and have been reading alot of posts hoping to learn more, but I'm getting overwhelmed with all the info. So I just thought I would post my results. Does it look like I have a problem? I appreciate any thought and advice. Thanks.

Katt

Re: what do you think of these results?

Post by Katt » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:15 pm

Wish could help you ..... but I think this is something to approach your doctor with for analysis. Everyone's results are different based on extenuating factors ... so I would say there is no real "normal" but at best maybe a wide-range area for what might pass or fall into a "normal" category.

I am new here ... so please correct me if I am wrong.

Katt

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:56 pm

Hi. Your test results do say you were diagnosed with OSA, that your oxygen did drop (at least enough to meet criteria but not sure how low), and that it disrupts your sleep. I'm not sure what you are questioning unless it's because you have nearly all hypopneas rather than apneas. Hypopneas are not harmless, and do merit treatment or they wouldn't be considered in the diagnostic criteria that qualifies one for CPAP treatment. Have you scheduled a return visit for CPAP titration?

Katt is right that there are many variables from person to person. Shoot, I've had several sleep studies, and some looked so different I wondered if I'd been given the wrong results. Looks likes questions about your diagnosis are on your report, but the next step is where it does get confusing - like dealing with what machine to get and finding the right mask. As far as machines, I suggest you get the exact name of the machine you will be offered and check back here to be sure it is data capable. That would be of utmost importance to me.

Have you read the section at the top for new users? Let us know if you have specific questions as you go along, and welcome.

Titrator

Post by Titrator » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:29 am

You have moderate sleep apnea. You have more events in REM than NREM and you have quite a bit of hypopnia. You definitely could benefit from the use of a CPAP. Your next step. An overnight titration. It is good that they did not split the study and gathered a full night of data. They will now have a full night to get your prescribed pressure right. Welcome to the club. Actually, I have been on CPAP now for 11 years and I am a registered sleep tech. Once you get past the first month, your brain will accept wearing a mask and you will get the much needed rest that has been lacking in your life. You will feel much better as your body heals from sleep deprivation.

Best of luck and if you have any questions, post here... These folks are good.

Regards,

Titrator
Ted

snort12770

Post by snort12770 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:35 am

Thanks for the replies. I was questioning the hypopneas. I am just having trouble accepting that I really need a cpap. I am in the denial stage. I am fortunate that this is the first thing I have ever had wrong and need help with and I am grateful it is so easily treated. If this makes me feel better than it will be well worth it. I think I have been reading too many posts and have myself worked up. I go for my titration tonight. I was told I will be getting a Resmed S9, hope that's a good one. Thanks again for the replies.

Medic1

Post by Medic1 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:36 am

I have the ResMed S9 myself. Granted it is the only one I have used I can't say anything more other then I like mine. Only been one week. Just getting used to it now. Best of luck with everything

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:15 am

Make sure it is a Resmed S9 "Autoset". At the least an "Elite".
Do not accept an "Escape". They don't record any data.

Breathe Jimbo

Post by Breathe Jimbo » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:04 pm

You definitely need CPAP.

Make sure you get at least an S9 Elite; do not accept an S9 Escape. The Escape does not provide the detailed data that you need to monitor the effectiveness of your treatment. If anyone says you do not need full data capability, insist on it so that you, like a diabetic or someone with high blood pressure, can monitor your efficacy numbers on a daily basis. Do not accept No for an answer.

snort12770

Post by snort12770 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:23 pm

I think they said it was an S9 Autoset, is that a good one?