insurance

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sharon1225

insurance

Post by Sharon1225 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:06 am

My question doesn't seem to be posting. I'm wondering if it's possible to bypass insurance and just buy replacement parts on our own. Insurance slows things down.

GumbyCT

Re: insurance

Post by GumbyCT » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:50 am

Sharon1225 wrote:My question doesn't seem to be posting. I'm wondering if it's possible to bypass insurance and just buy replacement parts on our own. Insurance slows things down.
Certainly, as long as you have a prescription, yes.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:52 am

How do you think those of us without insurance get our equipment and supplies. We buy it out of pocket, either through the DME of better still at cpap.com.
N
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:29 am

I would shop prices with insurance and if you pay cash. In many cases you can get supplies cheaper if you pay cash than if you use your insurance.
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:00 pm

Remember to check online suppliers to see if you can get a better price. Local DME's charge a lot more usually (although some will give you a price break if paying out of pocket--it costs them a lot of time and money to bill insurance).
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:23 pm

Watch ebay auctions, too.... I scored a set of new pillows for my mask at less than half retail price! Machines and masks do require Rx's, but you are entitled to have the Rx in hand from your doctor. Parts such as pillows, filters, hose, etc. can be found fairly priced online.

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

jbn3boys

Post by jbn3boys » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:34 pm

The biggest reason for me to buy through my insurance is that it will apply toward my deductible and then toward my out of pocket maximum. If I have a particularly "medical" year, this could lead to free supplies at the end of the year.

If you are happy with your mask, and are just talking about replacing parts, such as pillows, you could just buy one out of pocket, and submit one to insurance. Then you would have an extra. Each time you use one, just submit another one to insurance. That way, the slowness won't be a problem.

aPAP for 4 months, Switched to BiPap, 2nd sleep study Feb 2011 Possible PLMD
to quote Madalot..."I'm an enigma"

Marvinvwinkle

Post by Marvinvwinkle » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:15 pm

Even though I have insurance, I just bought my new apap and mask from a dme. It cost me about a third of what the insurance would pay for the same equipment. The insurance only wanted to pay for repair of the old machine.