Should my mask be blowing air away from me all the time?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Zelman

Should my mask be blowing air away from me all the time?

Post by Zelman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:38 pm

I have a Resmed LT Swift nose mask, and I am wondering if it should be blowing air constantly through the little grid at the tip of my nose. It is blowing this air away from me, and it seems to me that this is making some audible noise in the room. Shouldn't that just be blowing whenever there is too much pressure? I thought it to be a pressure relief valve. Or does this mean my pressure is too high?

jdm2857

Re: Should my mask be blowing air away from me all the time?

Post by jdm2857 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:43 pm

The air is coming from the vent designed into the mask. It is there to flush exhaled carbon dioxide out of the system. Without the vent, exhaled CO2 would build up inside the mask and cause big problems. The vent is not there to relieve excess pressure. The CPAP machine takes care of pressure regulation.

Sometimes the vent flow causes noise problem. This varies from mask to mask, and also on your positioning. If the vent flow hits something close (like your pillow) it tends to be louder.
jeff

Physician

Post by Physician » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:05 am

Zelman wrote:I have a Resmed LT Swift nose mask, and I am wondering if it should be blowing air constantly through the little grid at the tip of my nose. It is blowing this air away from me, and it seems to me that this is making some audible noise in the room. Shouldn't that just be blowing whenever there is too much pressure? I thought it to be a pressure relief valve. Or does this mean my pressure is too high?

And in a related matter.... I'm annoyed by the Activa mask blowing air on my hands when I sleep on my left side. I made a plastic attachment to direct the flow upwards only.

sheepdog

Post by sheepdog » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:48 am

I know your problem. I sometimes think the developers of these masks and paps are not OSA patients and don't even know any.

Vents blow on you not away. The expensive mask to avoid leaks actually leaks more than the cheap one. "Just adjust the straps properly"

There IS no properly for my face! And who made the rule that sleep studies should cost $5000 ? You dont even get to sleep at one of those!!

I think thats why in a recent poll on this site we see that the second highest score was for " I rest better but still am tired".

Pap is better than no pap but it aint all that impressive yet. Welcome to our world.
Respironics model 510 Auto Cpap w/ respironics heated humid. 14000 hrs as of Oct 23 2013
Swift LT / Comfort Gel Masks
Set to auto 10-20 cm/H2o setting.

guest guest

Post by guest guest » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:45 am

Physician, Can you post a picture or more info on your design to redirect the exhaust flow?

djr1215

Post by djr1215 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:06 am

Zelman wrote:I have a Resmed LT Swift nose mask, and I am wondering if it should be blowing air constantly through the little grid at the tip of my nose. It is blowing this air away from me, and it seems to me that this is making some audible noise in the room. Shouldn't that just be blowing whenever there is too much pressure? I thought it to be a pressure relief valve. Or does this mean my pressure is too high?

I'm not prone to panic attacks, but this caused one during my titration at the sleep center. I was having to work at breathing because they had me with a nasal mask despite the fact that I have a deviated septum and don't breathe well through my nose. I did not feel that blowing air until about 1/2 way through the night and when I did I thought all my air was escaping, I panicked! Started calling for the tech, which caused more problems because every time I opened my mouth it felt like a bolus of air was blocking my airway. Finally ripped off the mask.
Now I'm more used to it and just have to remember to keep my arms and bedsheets out of the way so it doesn't make too much noise.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:23 am

Welcome, Zelmen,

As jdm explained, that outflow is normal. Annoying, but normal. The noise is worse with some masks compared to others. The Swift LT is actually relatively quiet, but it takes some getting used to anyway.

If it's too loud chances are the airflow is hitting something solid like your pillow or the bedclothes. Shift your head a little bit or rearrange the covers, your pillow, or your body. During the summer, you can pretend it's a "personal air conditioning device". During the winter, it's just cold
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

kempo

Post by kempo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:04 pm

My Swift FX blows air out the front all the time in a downward direction. I really don't notice it unless I put my hand in front of it. I have a floor fan blowing in my bedroom the year round, white noise, so I can't hear the mask or the s9 running.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:30 pm

I try to pull up a corner of the bedding onto my husband's shoulder when I sleep on that side. He complains about the cold air.

cpap'er

Post by cpap'er » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:04 pm

I wish they would design the air vent to blow back on my face to keep me cool thru the night...lol

Like Janknitz mentioned i only notice a noise when i have something blocking the vent like a pillow or my arm....im using the ResMed Swift FX..a nasal mask is the only thing i could find to hold in my kinda pressure properly despite my deviated septum problem and difficulty breathing thru my nose too as Djr1215 mentioned.

Physician

Post by Physician » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:24 pm

guest guest wrote:Physician, Can you post a picture or more info on your design to redirect the exhaust flow?

I actually did THREE redirects since the damn air flow on my hands prevented me from falling asleep in my usual 30 seconds.

1. Small pieces of black electrical tape to occlude four holes

2. Epoxy to occlude those same holes

3. A molded "U" shaped piece of plastic re-directing all the flow upward/superiorly.

Are any of you annoyed also by the air flow on your hands or a nearby person ?

echo

Post by echo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:22 pm

Physician wrote:Are any of you annoyed also by the air flow on your hands or a nearby person ?
Yes! What's worse is that sometimes you find the *perfect* mask and all that's wrong is the vent. I'm really enjoying the comfortgel full by WHY OH WHY does it have to vent straight out at my partner?! I cannot sleep on my right side anymore. All masks should come with an optional gasket so redirect the vent in any direction we want! The activa blowing on my arms also annoyed me sometimes but routing it up over my head helps. While I'm ranting why can't they all use quick disconnect straps? The activa's straps are GREAT, but the stupid Respironics masks use this crazy clip system, while prone to breaking, are also VERY inconvenient to undo. rant rant rant.
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:22 pm

I actually did THREE redirects since the damn air flow on my hands prevented me from falling asleep in my usual 30 seconds.

3. A molded "U" shaped piece of plastic re-directing all the flow upward/superiorly.

Oh Yeah! I love the Swift FX, but the vent drives me nuts. Because of that 45 degree angle, the cold blast of air is almost inescapable. At least the Swift LT vents straight out--it's easier to escape.

Physician, do your tweaks cause the vent to be more noisy???
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Physician

Post by Physician » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:28 am

Janknitz wrote:

Oh Yeah! I love the Swift FX, but the vent drives me nuts. Because of that 45 degree angle, the cold blast of air is almost inescapable. At least the Swift LT vents straight out--it's easier to escape.

Physician, do your tweaks cause the vent to be more noisy???

Hole plugging -----> slight increase in noise. Diversion superior ----> quieter.

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:02 am

I am not sure I would be closing up any holes. The holes are designed for one purpose -- to rid the mask of co2. If you close off part of the vents -- you are defeating the purpose of which they were intended. Even if you feel that there is enough air escaping you may find that might not be the case.

Just my 2 cents -- but I would NOT close up any of the vent holes in my mask as I want to be sure to wake up in the morning.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.