Water chamber for resmed s9

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kempo

Water chamber for resmed s9

Post by kempo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:58 pm

For those who have recently received their s9, do they still come with the throw away water chamber or do they come with the new dishwasher safe water chamber? I have an s9 on order, just curious.

KMT

Re: Water chamber for resmed s9

Post by KMT » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:02 pm

Yes it is a dishwasher safe chamber

kempo

Post by kempo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:08 pm

That's great, thanks.

Mbarb

Post by Mbarb » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:29 pm

KMT wrote:Yes it is a dishwasher safe chamber

How can you tell?? Mine says it is disposable, the Dishwasher save container was an option....

kempo

Post by kempo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:31 pm

The dish washer model is suppose to come apart so it can be cleaned.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:46 pm

In north america the H5i for the S9 ships with the 6 month disposable water chamber

The dishwasher safe one that you can take apart you will have to buy.

kempo

Post by kempo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:50 pm

Well crap.

roncron

Post by roncron » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:08 pm

Here's the link for the dishwasher-safe water chamber. This page also explains the difference between the dishwasher-safe one and the disposable one that comes with the H5i humidifier.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... amber.html

The standard, included, cheaper one seems like it would be hard to clean. It's a bit hard to get all the water out to let it dry. There's just not a lot of holes where air can flow through to dry the inside.

Too bad I didn't notice this when I ordered my S9/H5i. Could've gotten one with free shipping. Now I'll have to wait until the next time I place an order. Dang!

Ron

Mycopsycho

Post by Mycopsycho » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:29 pm

First thing I did when I got my S9 was to buy one of the cleanable water chambers. It's great. Every couple of days I take it apart and give it a thorough cleaning with my mask and hose. It's very convenient.

Bernie
Denver, CO

kempo

Post by kempo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:45 pm

I'm using a PR System One auto, which is a loner from my DME until I get my S9, and the PR's water chamber's top pops off and it's very easy to clean. I'll bet Resmed gets a lot of complaints about this.

WilsonVilleUSA

Post by WilsonVilleUSA » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:42 pm

Let me put my tin foil hat on....

Here is why they do it this way. In the US, manufacturers and DMEs have convinced people and insurance of supposed Heath risks of not regularly replacing chambers and hoses. Couple this with general laziness and germophobia, and you just increased sales and profits.

Seriously, why even have two different chambers and associated tooling costs? Because there are bundles of money to made on each and every item that can termed "consumable" and put on a replacement schedule. Who really needs a new hose every month? I've had hoses last over a year. Chambers don't wear out, they don't come in contact with facial oil, etc. But since they are "covered" to be replaced on a schedule, then they is what they will do whether needed or not.

I bought a washable one, but have successfully opened the disposable one. If you carefully exert light pressure on the tabs and plastic top and work your way around once or twice, it will open pretty easily. Parts come out for cleaning by hand instead of dishwasher and then snap back together. Heck you could even snap the tabs off and then use duct tape to hold it together between cleanings with no I'll effect.

Last edited by WilsonVilleUSA on Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diagnosed with an AHI of 114! AHI now holding at <2 for over 4 years!

STL Mark

Post by STL Mark » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:53 pm

The H5i is available a variety of ways. Check the part number to confirm how yours will ship.

Product Code/s
36900 H5i w/ standard tub
36901 H5i w/ cleanable tub
36802 H5i water tub (standard)
36800 H5i water tub (cleanable)

Mode: ASVAuto, Min EPAP: 4, Max EPAP: 15, Min PS: 3, Max PS: 15, Ramp: Off - Original Titration: 18

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:01 pm

Many people have used "disposable" ResMed water chambers for years. I've been using my H4i chamber for over a year now with no problems. And I use tap water. I haven't had scale problems but if I did, vinegar will dissolve any deposits. And vinegar will kill microorganisms, too. All without opening the thing.

The one and only time I noticed that the chamber looked a bit cloudy (and therfore something was starting to grow inside) I used a diluted bleach solution to eradicate whatever it was. Sparkling clean afterwards. And now people will shriek in horror about the bleach. What they fail to realize is that bleach is extremely water soluble, so rinsing it four or five times gets rid of all the bleach. If you are paranoid, rinse it 10 times. As for the instructions that state not to use bleach, that's a liability issue. Someone might use full strength bleach, dump it out, fill it, and then use it. That would not be good. So to avoid that possibility, they say no bleach. The H4i chamber is made from plastic, stainless steel, and silicone (the seal between the two). None of these will be harmed by the occasional use of diluted bleach.
jeff

nosenabook

Post by nosenabook » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:22 pm

For those who have recently received their s9, do they still come with the throw away water chamber or do they come with the new dishwasher safe water chamber? I have an s9 on order, just curious.
Mine arrived nine days ago, with a "disposable" water chamber. It does not come apart for cleaning, and I understand it should be replaced every 6 months. I don't see how it can dry out every day, let alone be cleaned.

How often do you replace the dishwasher safe water chamber?

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:38 pm

The disposable humidifier is also not good for traveling with because it never completely dries. I put liquid soap in it once a week and shake it, and then it takes me about 30 times rinsing to feel I've gotten all the soap out. If I didn't use it for 2-3 days, it might dry out, but for daily use, it does not completely dry. I don't like it and would prefer the cleanable one.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly