OT. This is how BP is making efforts to stop the oil spill

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fidelfs

OT. This is how BP is making efforts to stop the oil spill

Post by fidelfs » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:26 am

DreamStalker

Re: OT. This is how BP is making efforts to stop the oil spill

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:32 am

Uh ... you really don't want to get me started on this.

Seriously.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Joe50

Post by Joe50 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:37 am

One of those guys in the video looked like he might have OSA. See how easy that was, now it is not political because I inserted a sleep apnea refference. It's all good Carry on

Totally funny video.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:19 pm

Just plug the damn hole !
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

IsrvChrist

OT. This is how Obama is making efforts to stop the oil spil

Post by IsrvChrist » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:02 pm

This is how Obama is making efforts to stop the oil spill (and clean up)

http://www.republikid.com/2010/06/13-co ... ys-no.html

I think we need to get the oil stopped whichever way, get it cleaned up, then and only then asses the blame and restitution. I think that Halliburton, and Transocean need to be look at as well, but after it is over.

I just cant understand why we as a country would turn away help for a really big environmental mess. Make it a national disasters bring relief to people who needs the help, then make whoever is responsible make them pay it back. IMHO Obama wants to see BP fail as bad as possible, I even think he is enjoying to ecosystems destroyer, because it makes off shore drilling look bad, and they win votes. CLEAN IT UP. 13 countries, with 13 ideas should be able to cap the well and also contain the oil with in days if not weeks. Then clean up will be fast with that much help.

Don't get me wrong I think BP should pay, and pay big, but I think they are the escape goat so people think Obama is doing something. Well he is sitting by rejecting help and watching BP struggling try to find a solution on their own.

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:31 pm

IsrvChrist, I heard something on a local radio station program today about the Jones Act being the reason Obama refused foreign help, that although it could be waived, he didn't think it was necessary. (I disagree.) It's apparently been waived before, but for some reason, Obama has chosen not to waive it here. I really don't understand why he won't waive this Act and take almost any help that's offered. Here's one article I found that's mostly about the Jones Act.

http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/54599

Last edited by WearyOne on Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsrvChrist

Post by IsrvChrist » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:38 pm

WearyOne wrote:IsrvChrist, I heard something on a local radio station program today about the Jones Act being the reason Obama refused foreign help, that although it could be waived, he didn't think it was necessary.

This is one persons opinion taken from Yahoo Answers

The Obama administration is FULL of global warming-sycophants! All he's doing is pushing his 'green jobs' agenda by blaming "messy oil" and dirty coal for this accident. He'll "milk" this oil spill and how "harmful to the environment" it's doing. Just to prove to people how "wrong oil and gas is". And thinking the people would just UP AND SWITCH to wind famrs overnight!

Source: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... an-answers

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:05 am

Great ... why not just deregulate all business now and bring the planet to a fiery end so y'all can have your stupid rapture.

Look. First of all, the oil has to be on the surface to be skimmed. Because BP used disperant chemicals (poisons in and of themselves) to break up the oil at the well head and prevent the oil from being easily seen when and if it reached the surface, the use of skimmers is basically useless (yes, the dispersants were used as a cover-up strategy to make the spill appear less than it actually was/is). In addition the well is spewing millions of cubic feet of natural gas which further emulsifies the oil into the water making much of it also impossilble to skim.

Furthermore, Shell would have to have sent over several thousand skimmers to make any significant difference with collecting the oil that has made it to the surface since it is so widespread (they offered to send 4 ... yes, 4 skimmers). Much of the oil is migrating below the Gulf water surface and there is no way to determine when or where those underwater plumes will surface within the Gulf.

I'm willing to bet that it was BP who asked Obama that the Shell skimmers be refused. There is professional and competative animosity between the big oil companies ... I know this from my own experience having worked for Pecten International (the international subsidiary of the very Dutch Shell Oil) as a petroleum exploration geologist back in the early 80's. I can assure you that they don't give a crap about the “little” people and much less so for the environement and marine life.

I agree that Obama has totally failed to lead in this disaster ... from taking responsibility for the spill and clean up (no way he could have done anything to prevent it with all the other priotity collateral damage from the previous administration to deal with and no way he or anyone else can ever clean this mess up, just not possible ... it is already a done deal ... there is no undo on this terrible mojo inflicted upon the Gulf) -- to not taking action much sooner and declaring a national emergency and taking control of the blown out well (the US government does have scientists capable of dealing with shutting this well down and could easily contract out from industry to get the tools to shut the damn hole down). The ONLY solution to shutting down the well is to drill one or more relief well(s) ... all the other solutions were/are just media distractions and side shows to prevent the public from listening to the independent professional and academic scientists who were/are trying to disclose the real severity of this really bad mojo.

In other words, the damage is DONE. The damage will continue to unfold over the next several months and the effects will be ongoing for serval decades. To try and say that this tragic mess could have been less severe if only Obama had allowed Shell to send 4 skimmers is as stupid as the people making those claims. Only nature can clean this mess up and it will take a long long time.

As for making BP pay ... they would need to go bankrupt many times over before they could compensate the cost just for the economic damage alone ... the environmental damage simply cannot be compensated for ... it is priceless.

Deep sea oil drilling looks bad because it IS BAD.

And you don't want to get me started on the conservative hypocrisy related to the deep sea oil drilling moritroium or the “global warming” psycho statement.

WilsonVilleUSA

Post by WilsonVilleUSA » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:23 am

The Jones act "protects" American union workers. The Resident in is bed with the union bosses and therefore is not about to do anything that could be touted as anti-union. The fact that not waiving it prolongs the disaster and can be his bully-pulpit to force his cap and tax agenda is just a side "benefit".

Remember, "Don't let a good crisis go to waste!", use it to advance things you couldn't do otherwise...

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:35 am

WilsonVilleUSA wrote:The Jones act "protects" American union workers. The Resident in is bed with the union bosses and therefore is not about to do anything that could be touted as anti-union. The fact that not waiving it prolongs the disaster and can be his bully-pulpit to force his cap and tax agenda is just a side "benefit".

Remember, "Don't let a good crisis go to waste!", use it to advance things you couldn't do otherwise...
Again. Four skimmers, a thousand skimmers ... it ain't gonna make a squat of difference. The damage is done.

That this catastrophe is being politicized by both sides of the isle goes without saying but it is NOT a FACT that waiving the Jones Act or any other act prolongs anything with this spill.

WilsonVilleUSA

Post by WilsonVilleUSA » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:43 am

Yes damage has been done, but the longer the oil drifts and sits the MORE damage is done. The faster it gets cleaned up, the less total damage.

If the hole can't be plugged (for whatever reason) the fact remainas that the sooner the oil gets cleaned up and the more of it that gets collected will lessen the impact. Absolutely not going to "fix" the damage that has been done, but it can avoid additional damage.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:56 am

WilsonVilleUSA wrote:Yes damage has been done, but the longer the oil drifts and sits the MORE damage is done. The faster it gets cleaned up, the less total damage.

If the hole can't be plugged (for whatever reason) the fact remainas that the sooner the oil gets cleaned up and the more of it that gets collected will lessen the impact. Absolutely not going to "fix" the damage that has been done, but it can avoid additional damage.
You just don't get it. It can't be cleaned up.

The damage will continue to unfold over months and the clean up will take decades (by nature, not man). The only thing that can stop further damage is one or more relief wells.

The side shows you see on TV of clean up crews is like watching a single colony of ants eat a heard of moving elephants ... the media cycle will move onto something different decades before anyone can say the damage has been cleaned up.

The Exxon disaster of 20 years ago was chump change compared to this one and Prince William Sound still has not been cleaned up or recovered.

WilsonVilleUSA

Post by WilsonVilleUSA » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:34 pm

DreamStalker wrote:
WilsonVilleUSA wrote:Yes damage has been done, but the longer the oil drifts and sits the MORE damage is done. The faster it gets cleaned up, the less total damage.

The damage will continue to unfold over months and the clean up will take decades (by nature, not man). The only thing that can stop further damage is one or more relief wells.

The side shows you see on TV of clean up crews is like watching a single colony of ants eat a heard of moving elephants ... the media cycle will move onto something different decades before anyone can say the damage has been cleaned up.

The Exxon disaster of 20 years ago was chump change compared to this one and Prince William Sound still has not been cleaned up or recovered.
Well, with all due respect- I am afraid you are the one that doesn't "get it". I agree, once the oil hits the ground there is little that can be done other than to make it look a little better on the surface. However skimmer ships and other resources have the ability of getting some of the oil out of the water before it comes ashore. This WILL reduce the degree of damage, but the longer the oil is out there the more of it will strike land.

While the oil certainly does damage while in the water column as well, every barrel removed while still in the water is one barrel that doesn't reach land and do even more damage. he more ships, barges, boom, etc. that keeps it from reaching shore the less damage than if it does reach shore.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:57 pm

WilsonVilleUSA wrote:
DreamStalker wrote:

Well, with all due respect- I am afraid you are the one that doesn't "get it". I agree, once the oil hits the ground there is little that can be done other than to make it look a little better on the surface. However skimmer ships and other resources have the ability of getting some of the oil out of the water before it comes ashore. This WILL reduce the degree of damage, but the longer the oil is out there the more of it will strike land.

While the oil certainly does damage while in the water column as well, every barrel removed while still in the water is one barrel that doesn't reach land and do even more damage. he more ships, barges, boom, etc. that keeps it from reaching shore the less damage than if it does reach shore.
You are obviously clueless and incapable of understanding the relative scale of the issue, much less the technical aspects of the issue.

Forget the elephant analogy for now then ... perhaps you found that symbolism offensive.

Skimming the BP oil out of the Gulf is like removing the water out of an olympic pool with paper towels.

Or better yet, here is an analogy that you conservatives are more likely to understand ... skimming the BP oil out of the Gulf is like paying off the current US national debt by taxing every US citizen (and the millions of illegal aliens to) an extra dollar a year -- it won't make a squat of difference.

WilsonVilleUSA

Post by WilsonVilleUSA » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:19 pm

DreamStalker wrote:
You are obviously clueless and incapable of understanding the relative scale of the issue, much less the technical aspects of the issue.

Forget the elephant analogy for now then ... perhaps you found that symbolism offensive.

Skimming the BP oil out of the Gulf is like removing the water out of an olympic pool with paper towels.

Or better yet, here is an analogy that you conservatives are more likely to understand ... skimming the BP oil out of the Gulf is like paying off the current US national debt by taxing every US citizen (and the millions of illegal aliens to) an extra dollar a year -- it won't make a squat of difference.
Can always tell when someone doesn't have a logical or compelling argument, the personal insults begin.

So with your theory, why do anything? Why not just say "My bad" and be done with it?

Maybe the money being wasted on the worthless clean up efforts would be better spent on the debt (which I am sure you believe is all Bush's fault...)

Last edited by WilsonVilleUSA on Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diagnosed with an AHI of 114! AHI now holding at <2 for over 4 years!