is my swollen eye because of cpap?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Junaid

is my swollen eye because of cpap?

Post by Junaid » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:15 am

this is a recent occurence where I wake up in the morning with a swollen eyelid. at first I thought it was because air was being blown into my eye but its not. my mask doesnt leak at all. could it be that my mask is too tight arround the eye area?

turbosnore

Re: is my swollen eye because of cpap?

Post by turbosnore » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:46 am

I'm not a doctor, but I doubt that the tightness of the mask would affect that way to your eye lids.
The wind could - wouldn't be exactly unique. Well... if you mean the lower lid, then the mask could have
"rubbed" it? Your mask doesn't even reach your upper lids?

I keep my straps somewhat tight, because during the night the mask often touches my pillow, and my
max. pressure is 17 - I get close to it once in a while. I never experienced anything like that.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:24 am

I use nasal pillows and sleep on my right side. I often wake with my right eye swollen and weepy--I think it's because it IS leaking and the cold air travels up the side of my nose or up the headgear and into my eye. When I was wearing FF and nasal masks it was happening to both eyes, and when I checked carefully, there were leaks around the top of the nose and into my eyes that I just couldn't stop. I never had a problem like this before CPAP.

These don't have to be large leaks at all (remember some leakage is within the tolerance of the mask, so I doubt you are so hermitically sealed into the mask that there is absolutely NO leaking). Sometimes I can feel just the slightest trickle of cold air, bumping into my eyebrow ridge and then probably down into my eye.

It's an annoying problem and I do worry about corneal damage over time, but not sure how to completely stop it. In a FF or nasal mask, you can try sealing the area around the top of your nose with some Mack's silicone ear plug putty--my last week or so in a nasal mask I built a rather elaborate structure out of the silicone putty to deflect the leaks from my eyes. It worked, but made the mask heavier and more uncomfortable.

Some people wear swim goggles or an eye shade mask--I feel way too sensory deprived already to add more stuff to my face.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:36 pm

I'm not a doctor either, but I wonder if air is going into the sphenoid sinuses (near the eye) and causing some sort of edema? Is it just swollen (inflamed) or does it feel like there may be fluid in there?
Sleep well and live better!

sepool

Post by sepool » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:08 pm

I believe that if the mask is tight and too close to your lower eyelids, it stops the natural drainage and will result in swollen eyelids. My eyes are very close together and the bridge of my nose is low right between my eyes, and any full-face mask I tried would eventually ride up during the night and be pressing on my lower eyelids, or very close.

I ended up going to nasal pillows most of the time, and a hybrid-style mask when I need one.

twasbrillig

Post by twasbrillig » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:40 pm

When you use CPAP, air can be forced backwards up the duct that drains tears from your eyes into your nose. It's called the nasolacrimal duct or something like that.

I had the same problem. I had nasal pillows, and NEVER detected any leaks - ever. But my eyes were both sore a lot. And the right eye was more irritated, because the left (opposite) nostril was frequently congested and blocked up (which lowered the pressure on that side)
Why does everyone else post cutesy avatars, and I'm the only one who posts a picture of myself?

pdxgram

Post by pdxgram » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:11 pm

I had very swollen eyelids when I first started using a full mask. Went to Walgreens and bought a light sleep mask for my eyes and that's helped immensely.