Everyone should read this!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
wading thru the muck!

Everyone should read this!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:58 pm

Take a look at this article if you haven't already. It's one linked in the "News" at the top of the page. I've also included a link here.

We may all think our bad health habits have caused our apnea. It may be our apnea has caused all our health problems. If so, consistant treatment and early detection are a must!

Take a look!

http://www.newsday.com/news/health/colu ... columnists
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:29 pm

Wow!
Interesting article. Even now, with my newfound sleep apnea treatment, I see from this article that I should stop doing the midnite to 4:30am thing, and GET TO BED EARLIER!

WillSucceed

Interesting article

Post by WillSucceed » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:56 pm

I found the article really interesting. I started treatment with CPAP almost 2 months ago (pressure of 15, using RemStar Plus with C-FLEX) and I have lost 26 lbs. as of today. I have not changed my diet, except that I seem to have less appetite and am not eating as much quantity of food.

I have steadily gained weight over the years despite diets, exercise, blah, blah, blah. I suspect that I have been suffering from the OSA (39 episodes per hour during the study) for years. I can't remember feeling as good as I now do -I think that getting treatment has saved my life. The weight is falling off me and I am awake all day and evening with no more falling asleep at my desk.

I hate the pressure of 15, and am planning to buy a autoset machine fairly soon so that I don't have to have the 15 BLASTING me open all night. Even if I have to pay for it out of my own pocket, I think it will be $ well spent.

As to the article, I believe that the CPAP treatment does correct lots of the other ills that afflict us and, I'm convinced that sticking with it, even though I hate the pressure, is the answer.

airhead

Thanks for the link...

Post by airhead » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:12 pm

Its not anything that I didnt know already, but it may help some here to refer their friends and family for tests etc. Playing on different computers for about 9 years. Do I know how to post a link? NO...Do I know how to cut / copy and paste? NO . Always blame the APNEA.
feeling stronger everyday...."Chicago"

Edie

Post by Edie » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:06 pm

After one month of CPAP therapy my PCP took me off my blood pressure medication. I have perfect blood pressure now.

What else is working better since starting therapy? Seemingly most everything. I can't wait until I've been on CPAP for a year and can map all the changes.
I got used to wearing contacts & braces, and now I'm used to CPAP, too.

Nenetx2004

Post by Nenetx2004 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:17 am

Yay Edie! I'm hoping that with the CPAP therapy I can go off blood pressure meds. I had always had low blood pressure, had no family history, wasn't overweight, exercised regularly so my PCP was puzzled. Hopefully this will shed some light!

Jeanne