a little discouraged

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chellesings

a little discouraged

Post by chellesings » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:50 pm

I haven't used my cpap machine in a while, as I think I've explained in some of my other posts. I had some issues come up that kind of scared me, so I resolved to begin using my machine like I'm supposed to. Since I've been using the machine, however, I haven't really slept well. I purchased a new mask and headgear because I couldn't remember how long I'd had my previous one. I have found that I'm having a hard time keeping a seal with the mask. My face has been sore, and to be honest, last night I felt like I fought with the darned thing more than I slept, although I slept around 6 hours straight through without getting up to go to the bathroom, which is a record for me! I'm a little discouraged because it seems like all the little "tricks" I remember about getting the mask to "seal" aren't working this time. I use an UltraMirage FFM...does anyone who also uses this mask have any suggestions for me? I'm not sure that anything I'm doing right now is the right thing to do!

Thanks!

lordvader

Re: a little discouraged

Post by lordvader » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:08 pm

Hang in there. I'm CPAP newbie so I don't have all the answers, but I use Mirage Swift LT nasal pillow and I had no problems with it.

Ray
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Zest Q

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:15 pm

Has your face shape changed, due to losing or gaining weight? Also, I find the the face shifts, depending on whether you're on your back or side, so put on the mask, lie down, turn on the cpap, then adjust for leaks. Then I turn onto my side, and fine tune.

Sleeping 6 hours is a good sign. But I know leaks can disturb your sleep, even though it may not greatly affect the therapy per se.

I have a Ultra Mirage FF, but only as a backup. I did find that having the forehead adjustment just right, and the bottom straps pretty loose gave me the lowest leaks.

Did your new mask come with a User Guide, if not, here is a link. During the day, when you're not rushed or tired, review the mask fitting instructions in front of a mirror. Then try it with your cpap on.

https://5faacd0c97cf0d23c6dc-064f3cd61b ... -guide.pdf

Also, try doing a search on the forum, for mask fitting tips from others who use this mask.

chellesings

Post by chellesings » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:24 pm

Thanks!

srwesely

Post by srwesely » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:49 pm

Thanks for the link, Katiew...I didn't even know I had a forehead adjustment thing on there! Anxious to get home and try fitting with the instructions. Hope it works better. This site is awesome!

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:46 pm

Hi,

Not all masks work for all people. I was told early on that I was a "mouth breather", so I would need a full face mask. I struggled through using a number of them. I was able to get decent sleep, but I had issues with leaks, being too tight, leaving marks, and getting air in my eyes. I had a little better luck with a hybrid, but that started to make my jaw sore. Another member here suggested that I try a Swift LT, and life has been good since that time. That is "the" mask for me.

-john-

kevincoop

Post by kevincoop » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:54 pm

How long have you had the mask? If you keep having issues and it is within 30 days, you may want to try a Quattro. It is similar but has a few more bells and whistles. It doesnt put as much pressure at the bridge of the nose or chin and the adjuster has 24 (i think) adjustments instead of the 5 or 6 the Ultra has.
Kevin