Newbie here.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lordvader

Newbie here.

Post by lordvader » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:48 am

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Ray (forum name is "lordvader"; this is what my son called me when I first put on the mask) Anyways I wore the mask for the first time last night and though I will need to get use to having the head gear on and the sound from the air entering my nose along with the hose, I feel pretty good this morning. I don't feel like I slept all night, but I did breath all night. As I'm sitting in my office this morning, I still feel like air is being pushed down my nose, is this normal? I think this is going to work for me and I'm willing to take the time to get use to it. Talk to you all later.

Ray
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Zest Q

JohnBFisher

Re: Newbie here.

Post by JohnBFisher » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:13 am

Welcome to the forum! LordVader, sir!

By the way, a good sense of humor helps a LOT as you adjust to using xPAP therapy.

Yup. It takes a while for your body to adjust to use of CPAP. Think of it just like the first day of the year when you stick your arm out the window while driving. It feels wonderful. And if it was a long enough ride, then your arm tingles for hours after the ride. Your skin and brain are not accustomed to that new sensation. They keep repeating it, even when the stimulus is not there anymore.

Hope that helps.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:19 am

Welcome, lordvader. Your perspective of seeing the positives will help you stay encouraged as you go thru the adjustment phase. ("I don't feel like I slept all night, but I did breath all night.") Plenty of unusual sensations and sounds when starting this treatment, but you'll likely be pleasantly surprised at how quickly they become "usual". Welcome to the board.

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:29 am

Thanks for the positive responses. I've been telling myself that I will need to get use to it, but its nice to hear it from others. When my son called me lord vader I repeated back: Luke, I am your father. We both had a good laugh.

Thanks.
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Zest Q

rosiefrosie

Post by rosiefrosie » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:12 pm

Welcome Lordvader to the forum. Glad to hear your 1st night went fairly well. You will get use to it all and wonder how you ever got along without it. You have a great attitude and that is half the battle. Good luck on your cpap journey.

rosie