Advice on a Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ins Man

Advice on a Mask

Post by Ins Man » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:10 pm

I am new to this forum and have really learned a lot over the past couple of weeks on it. Thank-you everyone for the information that you post. I have had my machine for 15 days now and up until last night have been using the Mirage Softgel as indicated below. The Healthcare rep. let me borrow a Swift LT Nasal Pillow to try for a few days. I have been getting along just fine with the Nasal mask but have had some leaks while sleeping on my side thus trying the Swift LT. My last readings using the Mirage Softgel were Leaks 0.006, AHI 8.4, AI 1.1, HI 7.3, with my mouth taped and sleeping mostly on my side. Last night wit the Swift LT my reading was Leaks 0.08, AHI 7.9, AI 1.8, HI 6.1. My nose was a little sore this morning as I may have had the Swift LT too tight but I will try it for a few more nights.
With all of that being said, do you know of any reasons to choose one mask over the other for long term use(I can only pick one)?

Papillon2

Re: Advice on a Mask

Post by Papillon2 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:16 pm

I think you should choose whichever mask is the most comfortable for you. Your compliance depends on it. Personally, I have the Swift LT and I just love it.

KatieW

Re: Advice on a Mask

Post by KatieW » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:23 pm

Many of us have a drawer (or closet) full of mask. I was telling a friend today, it's like searching for that perfect pair of shoes that fit like they were made just for you. With a xpap mask, it's finding the comfortable fit, plus one that's doesn't leak at whatever pressure you need.

Here's a great article on masks:

http://smart-sleep-apnea.blogspot.com/2 ... oices.html

If you have a good DME that lets you try on a bunch, that's great. I have bought mine on-line. If you have the SoftGel, you might try the Activa LT which uses the same frame, and for me, leaks less. Both are very comfortable though.