burning inside nose with pillows

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
unclematt

burning inside nose with pillows

Post by unclematt » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:32 pm

I finally got my nasal pillows to stay in for an entire night. When I woke up the inside of my nose was on fire (not literally). Is this something to be expected or will I get used to it? The burning quickly went away after taking off the mask but this is the kind of thing that could cause me to wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to get back to sleep.

By the way, I really appreciate this board. It has helped me immensely.

GumbyCT

Re: burning inside nose with pillows

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:38 pm

do a search for Lansinoh + pillow - see if its something you'd like to try.

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&keywords=%2BLansinoh++

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

kteague

Post by kteague » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:50 pm

I'll be watching this thread looking for clues. I've been a successful nasal pillows user for over 3 years. Just the last 3 nights I've been awakened by a burning stinging sensation in my nose - way deeper up inside than where the pillows touch. If I manage to hang in there I will drop back off to sleep and it's gone when I wake again. Mystery to me.

pagebypage

Post by pagebypage » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:01 pm

Uncle Matt, I didn't see a humidifier listed for you. I am guessing the lack of humidifier is the problem. I can't use nasal pillows without one, as I think is the case for most of us. In fact, I need the humidifier on a high setting for nasal pillows, but don't need a humidifier at all for a full face mask.
You might also try Ayr gel. That has helped me in the past.

BigNortherner

Post by BigNortherner » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:06 pm

What type of pillows are you using?

IMJ the only pillows worth even trying are the ADAMS/Breeze and they must be the largest whose tapered end will still fit into your nostril.

All others I've seen will collapse into your nostril.

I second the recommendation for Humidification - highly recommended.

...Keith Sketchley
Integrated Product Developer

momof2inmn

Post by momof2inmn » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:52 pm

I have that same burning, and it's worse with the Ayr gel because it feels so cold in my nose. I can't use a humidifier because I keep my room cold and get too much rainout. My solution, which has helped most of the time, is to use Neill Med sinus rinse. This company is the same one that makes the Neti Pot and the rinse is essentially the same, it just goes into a squirt bottle to do the rinse instead of the Neti Pot. You can find it at Walmart and the refills are really cheap.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:00 pm

I only have that burning, followed up in my case by congestion, when I forget (rarely now) to spray vinegar all over my pillows to remove soap residues. With a pillow-only mask, I had to set my humidifier at least halfway to max. I, too, will be watching this thread for suggestions.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

unclematt

Post by unclematt » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:12 pm

I do use a humidifier but it's on the lowest setting. I'll try cranking it up a few notches.

timbalionguy

Post by timbalionguy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:16 pm

momof2inmn wrote:I have that same burning, and it's worse with the Ayr gel because it feels so cold in my nose. I can't use a humidifier because I keep my room cold and get too much rainout. My solution, which has helped most of the time, is to use Neill Med sinus rinse. This company is the same one that makes the Neti Pot and the rinse is essentially the same, it just goes into a squirt bottle to do the rinse instead of the Neti Pot. You can find it at Walmart and the refills are really cheap.
You might want to consider one of those heated hoses. That will both prevent rainout and warm up the air going to your nose. If you haven't already, you should at least try an insulating cover on your hose. I use such a cover, and I keep my house 58 at night. So far, just a trace of moisture in the hose with the heater set at 4 out of 9.

I can't imagine how anyone can do this without a humidifier unless they live in a warm, very humid place

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:22 pm

Muse-Inc wrote:I only have that burning, followed up in my case by congestion, when I forget (rarely now) to spray vinegar all over my pillows to remove soap residues. With a pillow-only mask, I had to set my humidifier at least halfway to max. I, too, will be watching this thread for suggestions.
I didn't know about vinegar to remove soap residues. Do you dilute the vinegar? Thanks.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:05 pm

KatieW wrote:I didn't know about vinegar to remove soap residues. Do you dilute the vinegar?
With my allergies-sinus-congestion issues, I wash & soak in Dawn, rinse, wash in 7th Generation (eco friendly to get rid of the Dawn), rinse, spray with undiluted white vinegar (parts will still have some water from rinsing), let sit 1-3 mins, then rinse very well and let air dry. If I forget the vinegar, I get congestion (occasionally that nasal-sinus burning sensation which I also get from dehydration) and with the Hybrid blisters around the oral cushion if it slides around at night -- I seldom forget anymore .

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:00 pm

Thanks Muse-Inc!

taberge

Post by taberge » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:25 pm

I had the same problem and had to switch to a nasal mask. Evidently for some reason some peoples nasal lining can't handle the contact up their nose. For me It felt like an allergic reaction the way it was burning. Some of the nurses said that I would get use to the nasal pilllows as my nasal linings would get desensitized to them. Bullshit, let them put some red pepper up their noses and tell me if they can eventually get used to it.

BigNortherner

Post by BigNortherner » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:35 pm

I can say that cold air through the nose all night is not good (I made the mistake of using CPAP one night in an unheated RV).

I wonder if leaks, as are common with poorly designed pillows or the wrong size, increase congestion. Mouth breathing may do a well.
I do sometimes get congestion but have not tried to correlate as it is not severe, most nights I have good sealing with my design of pillows.

As for pillows design, ..
- there are at least two nasal interface designs that make no sense, they try to seal inside the nostril. Look in a mirror and/or feel and you'll see why.
- regarding the Adams/Breeze pillows, I should say that it is necessary to use better headgear like the CONJO from CPAPMan. (I suggest ordering the standard adjustable as measuring for custom fit is too tricky.)

Insulated and better heated hose sounds useful, it it gets cool in the room or in wet weather I have to turn the humidifer down.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:53 pm

unclematt wrote:I finally got my nasal pillows to stay in for an entire night. When I woke up the inside of my nose was on fire (not literally). Is this something to be expected or will I get used to it? The burning quickly went away after taking off the mask but this is the kind of thing that could cause me to wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to get back to sleep.
I had some leaking of my nasal seals last nite and wondered if this was the sensation you described as burning? I use Lansinoh on mine to help the seal and to reduce any friction to the nares. However, Lansinoh will do nothing if you use the wrong size.

When it comes to nasal pillows - start BIG and work your way down to the leaks. That way you'll know the difference.

What size are you using? Can you try a larger size to see if there is a difference?

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!