Mirage Liberty - Leaks & ladies tights

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fsmitty

Mirage Liberty - Leaks & ladies tights

Post by fsmitty » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:56 am

A few weeks back, some of you suggested that I try either shoe laces or ladies tights to help stop the leaks from the nasal plugs on the Mirage Liberty. Well, I couldn't get up the nerve to wander into the tights section of the store. However, I did remember that when I had hernia surgery that I had a saved a pair of "Teds". Ted's are those stockings that they make you wear to help prevent blood clots. I managed to find them and decided to cut them up into small straps. Managed to make a strap that will fit underneath my nose and under the plugs and then ties around my head.

After about a week, I can tell you that this has helped stop the leaks from the nasal plugs. Thanks for all your suggestions on what to do.

the only other problem left is with an occasional leak from the mouth piece section. This can occur when my mouth relaxes and when laying on my back. The seal around the mask won't leak when on my side which is the usual position that I sleep in. do other people notice mask seals leaking when their lower jaw relaxes when getting close to sleep?

In about 3 weeks, I will get my septoplasty/turbine reduction surgery. Can't wait to see if that helps my breathing/nasal congestion. Will be on a cruise next week which should help get my mind of this upcoming surgery. Another thing that is helping me is that I have recently switched my allergy pills. For years I have been taking Clariten and have believed that it has stopped working maybe due to my body getting used to it. Anyhow, someone on this board suggested that I try Zrytec. What a difference that makes as I seem to have a better sense of smell. Due to it saying that it can cause drowsiness, I have decided to take it at night which helps.

What to say thanks for all you help on this board. This is a really good website.

pagebypage

Re: Mirage Liberty - Leaks & ladies tights

Post by pagebypage » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:25 pm

I use the Liberty and had the same trouble with leaks around the nasal pillows. Ever notice that the designer forgot to put velcro on the strap that goes across the top of your head? Pretty dumb, I would say. My solution was to tighten up that strap with a safety pin. Works like a charm. The Liberty is now my main mask.