When the Electricity Goes Out

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
brians34

When the Electricity Goes Out

Post by brians34 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:44 am

We just had storms roll through lastnight and I was wondering what happens when the electricity goes out? Has anyone been hosed up and asleep when there has been a power loss? I've been on CPAP 2 months and no experience with it yet.

BleepingBeauty

Re: When the Electricity Goes Out

Post by BleepingBeauty » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:12 am

brians34 wrote:We just had storms roll through lastnight and I was wondering what happens when the electricity goes out? Has anyone been hosed up and asleep when there has been a power loss? I've been on CPAP 2 months and no experience with it yet.
Yep. I'm sure many of us have. It's happened to me a couple of times, and I've woken up shortly after the machine stopped blowing air. (And no, you won't die if the machine shuts off in the middle of the night; there's an anti-asphyxia valve on most masks so you can breathe room air when that happens. If you have a nasal or pillows mask, you'll just open your mouth to breathe.)

After my first power outage on CPAP (which lasted four hours and made me insane, being unable to sleep without la machine), I bought myself a backup battery. It now sits on my nightstand, next to the machine, at the ready for the next time. I've used the battery a few times (just to test it), and it works like a charm all night long.

There are several backup power options for use with CPAP. Search the forum for many threads on the subject. HTH
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:30 am

Get a power outage alarm! They work like a charm, mine's gone off several times since I bought it. It also works like a flashlight so I don't fall over something on my way to the kitchen to call the power company and make some hot cocoa while I sit up waiting for the power to be restored. When I am back working, I will investigate a backup battery.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/relian ... light.html

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

ricochetv1

Post by ricochetv1 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:36 am

Muse-Inc wrote:Get a power outage alarm! They work like a charm, mine's gone off several times since I bought it. It also works like a flashlight so I don't fall over something on my way to the kitchen to call the power company and make some hot cocoa while I sit up waiting for the power to be restored. When I am back working, I will investigate a backup battery.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/relian ... light.html
Just curious... how do you make hot cocoa without power?

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:43 am

ricochetv1 wrote:...Just curious... how do you make hot cocoa without power?
Gas stove...I just gotta hunt for matches or the grill lighter

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

millich

Post by millich » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:50 am

I'm glad you asked this question because I have one of my own about backup batteries:
Do the backup batteries from CPAP.com have to be recharged using grid electricity or can they be recharged from a car battery?
I'm very interested in having one but, in the event of extended power outages, I would need another way to recharge the backup battery. Otherwise, they are pretty pricey for just 1 or 2 nights of sleep.

bearded_two

Post by bearded_two » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:22 pm

I have a Li-ion battery that I plug into the 12 volt power jack on my IntelliPAP. When the power goes out, my IntelliPAP automatically switches to battery power.

I don't drink hot cocoa, but if I did, I would have to get out my Korean butane hotplate.

ricochetv1

Post by ricochetv1 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:54 pm

bearded_two wrote:I don't drink hot cocoa, but if I did, I would have to get out my Korean butane hotplate.
"I'm not a doctor, but if I was, I'd recommend Colon Blow..."

danw61

Post by danw61 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:26 pm

I wake up real quick when the air stops blowing & I can't breath.

Lou Cypher

Post by Lou Cypher » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:42 pm

Like the rest I wake up real quick...

I am getting a bit tired of this though and am researching battery backups..

I want something small that will work for a night or two....

I like the looks of the one bearded two has...

I am in the midst of trying to get a new machine, so I have to wait and see what I wind up with and will get a battery backup when I know exactly what I can use...

Pineapple

Post by Pineapple » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:52 pm

Last power outage my 11 year old came screaming down the hall "Mommy the power went out!" before I woke up enough to realize my CPAP had stopped blowing. Wonderful power out alarm.

I do own both a Battery Geek and a Black & Decker 400. I have had good expirences with both, but if size is not a concern, the Black & Decker is much more cost effective.

artpenjr

Post by artpenjr » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:07 pm

After this happened to me once I "borrowed" a battery backup from my computer system. There are a lot of them available, by APC and other manufacturers. Most have some type of beeping alarm when the power fails.

Any of these computer battery backup's should work just fine for home CPAP gear use.

SleepyNoMore

Post by SleepyNoMore » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:19 pm

brians34 wrote:We just had storms roll through lastnight and I was wondering what happens when the electricity goes out? Has anyone been hosed up and asleep when there has been a power loss? I've been on CPAP 2 months and no experience with it yet.
Well, thankfully, I haven't had to experience an outage yet (been on cpap for 2 years now) and I do not have a back up battery, I no I need to get one but they are so expensive and I don't really have room for a marine battery in my room like alot of our forum members have!

Thank You "SNOREDOG" will live in our Hearts forever...

May you always have
Love to Share,
Health to Spare,
and Friends that Care. :)

ricochetv1

Post by ricochetv1 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:55 am

I think I'd rather have a battery that doesn't beep... Seems counterintuitive to keep the unit running if the beeping wakes you up... xPAPs are for sleeping, not being awake.