Hee Hee. I feel like I got away with something!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
provider

Re: Hee Hee. I feel like I got away with something!

Post by provider » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:24 am

I'm so happy to hear when PAP patients take control. The next big step will be to make your physician a partner in this. Truth be told most physicians (unless they are pulmonologists or specialize in sleep medicine) hardly know anything about sleep therapy. Typically they don't even receive a full credit hour being educated on this. But, if your physician is helping you manage your OSA be honest and tell them about all of your resources and your experimentations. He or she will be better able to treat you AND may possibly learn something to teach all the schmucks out there who worship their physicians like gods and don't ask questions. Congratulations on taking control of your therapy! Wish you were one of our patients.
~ Your friendly skulking DME provider hoping to offer some clues to the mysteries for patients.

millich

Post by millich » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:05 pm

Thanks for the positive input to those I haven't already thanked - Brenda, Ricochet, slinky, and provider. You guys are great.

Provider, I agree wholeheartedly that the next step would be to confidently inform the doctor about what I've done and why & to then enlist his help. But, at this point in my life, to have the attitude of "thanks, but I'll take it from here" is progress. I am grateful to cpaptalk.com for getting me this far!

My goal for my next appointment will be to interact with my doc as you suggest.

ricochetv1

Post by ricochetv1 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:38 pm

millich wrote:Thanks for the positive input to those I haven't already thanked - Brenda, Ricochet, slinky, and provider. You guys are great.

Provider, I agree wholeheartedly that the next step would be to confidently inform the doctor about what I've done and why & to then enlist his help. But, at this point in my life, to have the attitude of "thanks, but I'll take it from here" is progress. I am grateful to cpaptalk.com for getting me this far!

My goal for my next appointment will be to interact with my doc as you suggest.
Yeah, and don't forget, if he starts protesting, to mention that YOU are the one who's having to live with the machine and the therapy, not him. He only has to see you every few months or so, and otherwise, you're on your own. Tell him you can read the efficacy numbers enough to tell whether you're doing well or not, and that you WILL tweak your settings to find the best combination. Ensure him that you'll ask them about any major changes, but otherwise, it's your machine, your condition, and your therapy, and they are just a tool to help you get what you need.