auto-pap machines

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tjs

auto-pap machines

Post by tjs » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:19 pm

The doctor is prescribing an auto-pap for my ongoing therapy. I am looking for suggestions. I use an Activa mask.

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:27 pm

What suggestions are you looking for?

If your getting an Auto-pap and the Activa mask you're a long way down the right road.

Does the apap you're getting have software to monitor your progress? If so I suggest you use it to see how things are going day to day.

One other thing is you may want to have them set the minimum pressure to at least 6cm, below that sometimes can give you a feeling of suffocation.

Any other questions or for specific suggestions please post again.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

tjs

Post by tjs » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:40 pm

Sorry I wasn't more specific I am wondering what brand and model would be best. The DME stocks the Respironics Auto, but said they could order a Resmed Auto spirit.

I have been on CPAP for 3 months at a pressure of 8. Had problems with frequent awakenings. My first doctor blew me off, so I went to another. He immediately ordered an autopap titration. The study showed my awakenings dropped and my sleep was less fragmented, which confirmed my impressions that I had slept better with the autopap. the activa works pretty well, but I wonder if there will be any compatibility issues if I go with the Respironocs Auto.

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:55 pm

I use the Puritan Bennett 420E auto-pap and would definately recommend it. Otherwise I would also recommend the Respironics Remstar auto.

Respironics has just updated the Remstar auto, so make sure you get the one with c-flex. It is a feature that makes exhalation much easier.

I know rested gal uses the Activa with her Remstar auto without any compatability problems.
Sincerely,

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:03 pm

I use a 420E & a Resmed Spirit. I prefer the Spirit for daily use but it is larger. It has a built in humidifier. Rumor has it that Resmed is building a new model that has all the features of the Spirit but is smaller and has 12V capability.. I don't know if this is true. I would wait if I could to see what is offered in early 2005.

Good Luck,
Chris

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:15 pm

Chris,

What about the spirit do you prefer over the PB420E for daily use. I think my PB is perfect for daily use and takes up a very small amount of the limited space next to my bed.

I love ResMeds masks and would love to hear about the benefits of their cpaps over others.
Sincerely,

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:41 pm

Question: What about the Spirit do I prefer?

Answer: My Spirit seems to be quiter with the Resmed mask. The 420E seem to telegraph the machine noise down the hose.. I have had a Spirit for over 2 years. I have traveled extensively in the USA and Europe. It has over 5000hrs. The humidifier docks to the front making it 1 unit.

I now have a 420 E also. I like it because it is small and givesme the option of using a 12V battery if the power fails. With the resmed I needed an inverter.

The Resmed has the autostart and shutoff feature. Just put it on and breathe and it switches on. Take the mask off and it switches off.

The buttons are easier to press on the Spirit.

The large transformer plug of the 420E can be a tight fit especially if you use a surge suppressor as you should be. might break if dropped..Then what.

The Spirit has a built in handle. Convienent to pick up t pack, dust ,etc.

At home size isn't an issue. Well not as much.

Don't get me wrong, They are both excellent . I wish Resmed would make them smaller and capable of 12V operation that is where the 420E shines.

If I had to choose between them I'd choose ........420E , size and 12v .

But my Spirit has been my buddy for over 2 years so I have some loyalty.

I do like the ultra mirage mask.

I don't really like the hose of the 420E. You have to plug the little pressure sensing hose inside when you wash it. It is subject to kinking if you ask me.

There is my answer..Everyone has there own reason for liking 1 over the other.

Comments........

Cheers,

Chris

AirHog

Post by AirHog » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:46 pm

How about the software for each of those, which is more comprehensive or user friendly?

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:07 pm

Chris,

Thanks for the indepth comparison. It's very valuable to forum browsers to see such comparisons with users like yourself. I must be immune to the "noise" issues. I hear the "noisy" machine and the "noisy" masks but they don't seem to bother me.

I would also like to hear your comparison of the software for these two machines.

Some of the spirit features you list (auto on/off) seem like nice features.
Sincerely,

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:23 pm

I dont have any software. I feel that if feel rested in the morning the unit is working fine. If I don't something is wrong. Its a auto unit and you shouldn't be having any apneas ! I had a long answer to this but it dropped out twice now. Email me if you would like to chat about this.

Cheers

Miko

Post by Miko » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:20 pm

wading thru the muck! wrote:
One other thing is you may want to have them set the minimum pressure to at least 6cm, below that sometimes can give you a feeling of suffocation.
Remember, if the pressure is too low, then it will take the machine longer to respond to your apnea.
AirHog wrote:How about the software for each of those, which is more comprehensive or user friendly?
Oh, wow, the s/w on the Resmed is great. You dont even need to download it. Just review the s/w the next morning before noon (it auto deletes after) and you see your AHI, AI, and HI index. It's all at your fingertips.

I also agree, the PB is way toooooo noisy. Then again, so is the Resmed but at least the noise doesnt resonate through the hose like the PB.

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:30 pm

Topping