Qualifacations for autopap?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
AirHog

Qualifacations for autopap?

Post by AirHog » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:55 pm

What conditions have to be met to get your doctor to prescribe an autopap? I spoke to my dme and he said its up to the doctor. I really would rather have one of these machines so I can track my progress. Do I have to establish a condition other than my own piece of mind to get one of these? Thanks.

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:17 pm

Some things I discussed with my doc to get him to prescribe an auto-pap.

- I snore only when I sleep on my back so I assume my apnea is worse on my back than on my side - the auto-pap will adjust for this.

- A goal of using cpap was to get my enegy level up so that I could lose weight. Since my Docs first suggestion to improve my sleep was to lose weight I reversed that logic and suggested that if I lose weight my cpap pressure requirements would lessen. The auto-pap would take care of this.

- Another one you could use is if you have a higher pressure and fairly infrequent events the auto-pap would increase compliance (the amount you use it) by raising the pressure to the prescribed level only when you need it thus keeping the interim pressure at a more tolerable level.

- Also a generic arguement for auto-pap is that everybody's needs vary day to day depending if they have a cold, allergies, alchohol consumption etc... The auto-pap will make sure you get the pressure you need if your need increases or decreases.

I hope you have good luck!
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

BigE

Post by BigE » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:02 pm

I agree with 'Wading thru the Muck'...I am into week 5 using my PB 420E autoCPAP...SilverLining 3 software. Analyzing the sleep/pressure data over the last 4 weeks shows that my pressures do vary every night!!

The range is between 6-13.8cm with an average pressure of 7.6 cm. My AHI is at roughly 1.1 which is down from over 65 without CPAP therapy!!

I usually sleep on my side...so the variance is not related to sleeping on my back...however, my pressures do increase with cold/flu symptoms and increased nasal congestion. The PB 420E autoCPAP adjusts nicely to all changes...I am very compliant...love the way that this 'baby' works!! I can't imagine using a machine which blows a 'constant' pressure....I am convinced that there is no ONE/MAGIC airway/CPAP pressure...everyones airway "compliance" changes and varies throughout the night.

Go for the AutoCPAP.

BigE

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:16 pm

After 2 1/2 years there is no way I would ever use a standard CPAP . Don't even know why they make them when APAP is so much better . I would insist on APAP ! If you buy it at cpap.com it is cheaper than going to any DME for a CPAP. The DMEs have 2 prices . With insurance and without. Your cost is the same and much more than buying online at cpap.com. What if you have a cold? What if you have allergies? APAP takes care of this . CPAP either overinflates you and you fart all day or you don't get the therapy you need and you suffer... Chers, Chris

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:23 pm

Here Here!

Long live the Auto-pap
Sincerely,

53now

But ...what about bipap users ??

Post by 53now » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:55 pm

What about us Bipap users ??? Would the Apap system be more beneficial than a Bilevel machine ? I've gotten use to it (Bipap) so I'm not too sure if switching would be a plus or a minus. How does it work ?? Is it a constant pressure that changes with the needs of the user ?

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:27 pm

Yes, autopap could be described as a constant pressure that varies according to your needs during the night. "Reading" your breathing and adjusting the pressure itself - doing two things...trying to ward off events before they can happen if it senses your breathing air flow is beginning to change, and taking action to clear any events that sneak by.

There's a new hybrid machine that Respironics has just now released that sounds very promising. It's a Remstar autopap with C-flex. It's the first autopap I'm aware of that works as an autopap (varying the "constant" pressure) yet the C-Flex allows it to also reduce the pressure during each exhalation. That new machine might very well be the best of both worlds for people who have trouble exhaling against pressure but would like to use an autopap.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:41 pm

Hi,
Let me get this right. Does this mean that with an APAP, you can do your own sleep study and find out what is happening with your apnea?
If so, why go to a sleep clinic?

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:56 pm

Well if the APAP is doing its job you won't have apneas. A sleep study would say you are having apneas and how often and what type. During the titration they would determine your settings. An auto unit does this as part of its normal function, Constantly, breath by breath, all night long, every night. So tell me what is more accurate. Trying to sleep in a strange room with all kinds of wires and machines hooked to you 2 weeks ago or your Auto unit at YOUR bedside tonight working constantly to give you your best therapy NOW. Or a CPAP set for the worst case during your study. And more pressure isn't what is needed if you suffer from central apneas.

AirHog

Post by AirHog » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:31 pm

My main interest in the autopap is the much more detailed info that can be downloaded to your computer. I personally have no problem breathing against my remstar pro c-flex cpap set at 10cm but its the information age and I want to know. I spoke with my doc today concerning the auto and she said no problem.

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:15 pm

Airhog,

I also require a low titrated pressure. Don't discount the value of the auto-adusting features of the apap. Chris' point is correct, pressure requirements change and it's better to be sure you are getting the right pressure and not have to rely on your treatment slowly becoming ineffective to get the fixed pressure adjusted for your current requirements. Maybe in the near future we all will have the benefit of a pocket size auto-adjusting Bi-pap that wirelessly sends data to our computer and our doctor. We can wish can't we?
Sincerely,

AirHog

Post by AirHog » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:19 pm

Don't forget self-cleaning also. hehehe

How about wi-fi apap I want it on my wireless home network, while we're at it.

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:48 pm

Yeh! all that too!
Sincerely,

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:56 pm

QUALIFICATIONS ? CAN YOU PAY FOR IT ? Autopaps rule. Fixed CPAPS should be ILLegal.... Get a AUTO !!!.......LOL

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:05 pm

Chris,

Here! Here! to my comrad in auto-pap evangelism.
Sincerely,