Upper respiratory infection...1st cold on CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
graygables

Upper respiratory infection...1st cold on CPAP

Post by graygables » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:11 am

I'm getting a chest cough. My nose isn't stuffy. Other than carefully cleaning my mask/hose, is there anything else I should know? Should I use the CPAP anyway?

Thanks!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:15 pm

I always use my XPAP, I thing being able to breath at night is important. The O2 help the body kill the bugs. Keeping the imune system working is important, mine's a little sluggish, so I take VIT "C", 2,000 to 3,000 units daily, and a whole lot of other vit's too. Overkill is the game I play. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

gasp

Post by gasp » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:33 pm

I haven't experienced this yet and dread the day - so I'm watching your thread : ) You may consider using the Neti Pot early on when you aren't stuffy to help reduce the possibility of getting nasal congestion.

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:54 pm

Do you live in California where all the fires are?

Just wondering if you do if that might be a contributing factor as to what's going on with you!

I hope you feel better soon!

Like Goofproof said, keep using your cpap and mask, it will definately help you breathe better and control the apneas...

SleepyNoMore

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:59 pm

BTW, I live in Smoky CA and I feel like I have bricks in my lungs! It's hard to walk outside, I just can't breathe out there, it is really overcast today with all that smoke and no wind to blow it out of here, we also have flash flood warnings all day!

My shopping, groceries, etc. are on hold until things get better out there, I hope it isn't long as we are running low on our food supply,

Get Well Soon,

SleepyNoMore again!

graygables

Post by graygables » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:14 pm

Thank heavens, no. I've got all you CA folks in my prayers...I can't even imagine.

Something I realized that I have never mentioned to my PCP or to the sleep study folks is the histoplasmosis in my lungs I went through as a kid. That was before the days of a cure and you either lived or didn't and maybe got to keep a lung or two... I did get to keep both of mine, but if I get a chest cold, I have to resort to very shallow breathing. I'm having a headsmack moment...

I'll be sure to clean everything daily while I'm feeling ill to keep from spreading it more than I already have it. I'm allergic to ragweed, so echinacea is out for me. I've ramped up the C and the zinc, too.

gasp

Post by gasp » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:32 pm

Anonymous wrote:BTW, I live in Smoky CA and I feel like I have bricks in my lungs! It's hard to walk outside, I just can't breathe out there, it is really overcast today with all that smoke and no wind to blow it out of here, we also have flash flood warnings all day!

My shopping, groceries, etc. are on hold until things get better out there, I hope it isn't long as we are running low on our food supply,

Get Well Soon,

SleepyNoMore again!
Perhaps you may want to buy masks at the drugstore meant to filter out particulates - I wear mine when in someone's car that doesn't have a cabin filter to reduce or eliminate any stuffiness I would have gotten from city traffic particulates.

I figure it's better to weather the stares from curious people and save my lungs : ) People in some Asian cities wear them all the time to avoid airborne pollution.

tangents

Post by tangents » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:34 pm

Hi GrayGables,

I am just getting over a nasty cold. My magic bullet was to take Mucinex with cough suppression along with DRIXORAL at night. My nose wasn't very stuffy, and I use Nasacort anyway, so I didn't have a problem with that. Anyway, I slept pretty good most nights with that combination.

Hope you feel better soon,
Cathy

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:15 pm

Tangents-
does Mucinex make you sleepy? I've got a cold and my doctor told me to take it.
I have to get on a plane tomorrow (ugh) and I thought it would take it then. But I don't want to take it if it's going to knock me out.

Maryb

Maryb

Post by Maryb » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:16 pm

oops, sorry. I thought I was logged in.
that last "guest" was me.

Maryb

tangents

Post by tangents » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:44 am

Mary,

Sorry if I missed you. Mucinex won't make you sleepy. It has a mucus thinning ingredient along with cough suppressant. The antihistamine in Drixoral will make you sleepy - but for me it also quieted the tickle in my throat. Make sure to take antibacterial hand cleaning gel or wipes with you on the airplane. Planes are filthy - even the water in the lavatory is not drinkable. When I fly, I always do a "shot" of ZICAM in each nostril. Before discovering this, I would get sick every single time I flew. After I started using it, I haven't gotten sick once. ZICAM boosts your immune system, similar to AIRBORNE, but ZICAM works better for me.

Have a safe trip,
Cathy