Report on saline spray vs saline irrigation

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kteague

Report on saline spray vs saline irrigation

Post by kteague » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:58 pm

For those who are interested, from the University of Michigan Health System as published in current issue of the journal Archives of Otolarngology-Head&Neck Surgery. (Yes, and funded by NeilMed Pharmaceuticals, which makes a saline sinus rinse.)

http://tinyurl.com/2zlqt5

snork1

Post by snork1 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:07 pm

yup, pretty much confirms my experience after a couple years of nasal saline irrigation.
A dainty spritz was pretty much worthless.
Serious but easy IRRIGATION....its a flippin' miracle.

BUT, most people WILL NOT EVEN TRY nasal irrigation. Just freaks them out or grosses them out too much.

My wife and one daughter could definitely benefit by irrigation, but won't even try it. Just keeps pumping the mist in there and is unimpressed by how it works, as if there is a correlation.

Thanks for the article! I will forward it....
Remember:
What you read above is only one data point based on one person's opinion.
I am not a doctor, nor do I even play one on TV.
Your mileage may vary.
Follow ANY advice or opinions at your own risk.
Not everything you read is true.

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:49 pm

I love it when Science proves my own theories.

I have been fighting off a head cold with my neti pot rather successfully. I hardly feel sick, yet every few days the neti gets rid of insane amounts of goo out of my head. My son, 4, who I can't even get to try the neti pot (well, surprise, he is 4!) suffered with the cold and an accompanying hacking cough for two weeks.

It works wonders for allergies as well.

Here's to breathing without congestion!

jen

Treesap

Post by Treesap » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:18 pm

I use a neti pot nightly. I haven't gotten any of those nasty colds going around the last 3 months or so. I work in a very busy area. I wash my hands a lot too because of the amount of people in and out of our work building. I work for County government. I get wigged out over the amount of people touching the door handles. I always try to open door in an inconventional manner. I push elevator buttons with my elbow. Yes, I am a freak, a freak who doesn't like to be sick.
Work like you don't need the money;
Love like you've never been hurt;
Dance like nobody's watching.

SleepyNoMore

Post by SleepyNoMore » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:57 pm

Treesap wrote:I use a neti pot nightly. I haven't gotten any of those nasty colds going around the last 3 months or so. I work in a very busy area. I wash my hands a lot too because of the amount of people in and out of our work building. I work for County government. I get wigged out over the amount of people touching the door handles. I always try to open door in an inconventional manner. I push elevator buttons with my elbow. Yes, I am a freak, a freak who doesn't like to be sick.
I always use clean folded paper towels to open the doors with as I am leaving a public restroom and I use my foot to flush the toilet, unless it's an automatic one ... Working in a County Building like that, you really should keep paper towels in your pocket or purse to open & close the doors with and to pull out to hit the elevator buttons with, I WOULD!

Thank You "SNOREDOG" will live in our Hearts forever...

May you always have
Love to Share,
Health to Spare,
and Friends that Care. :)

SleepyNoMore

Post by SleepyNoMore » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:05 pm

Sorry , I forgot to add that I have used both the spray and the neidmed saline rinse and the SPRAYS do nothing for me, as a matter of gact, I seem to become more stuffy after using them. When I use the saline rinse, I can blow anything out that is in there afer using a couple ounces of water. I was freaked out the first couple of times I used it to but got used to it, it still kinda feels like i'm gonna drown even when I go slow but well worth it!

Thank You "SNOREDOG" will live in our Hearts forever...

May you always have
Love to Share,
Health to Spare,
and Friends that Care. :)