Off Topic - New Car Purchase

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
roster

Off Topic - New Car Purchase

Post by roster » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:30 am

You guys can answer anything.

I want to buy a new car before the end of the year. Where is a good place to get info to use for price negotiation? Things like the dealers' costs?

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Roadie

Post by Roadie » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:28 am

If you are a AAA member they offer pre-negotiated pricing. Perhaps not the very best deal you might be able to get, but still a very good price without the hassle.

Roadie
Traveling sucks... Traveling with CPAP blows.

I'd rather be diving, then it is a good thing to breathe through your mouth.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:31 am

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

roster

Post by roster » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:47 am

Roadie wrote:If you are a AAA member they offer pre-negotiated pricing. Perhaps not the very best deal you might be able to get, but still a very good price without the hassle.

Roadie
Thanks Roadie, I need to call them.

I still want to find out the dealer's cost and try a little negotiating on my own.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

lvwildcat

Post by lvwildcat » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:09 am

What kind are you looking at, rooster??? I love new cars but hate the whole dealer thing.

SleepGuy

Post by SleepGuy » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:47 am

If you're looking for a brand ne car, dealers are much more likely to cut you a deal on a model that's been on their lot for a month or longer as opposed to special ordering a certain combo from the dealer. Autotrader.com has a lot of dealer listed models. They tend to list them after a while.

It would be good to check consumer reports (at the library or online--you'll have to pay) as a resource to make sure your car gets good marks for long-term reliability, resale, etc.

Good Luck!

Breeze

new cars

Post by Breeze » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:29 am

I have always had the best luck with Saturn. they aren't pushy, prices fairly and I love the cars they have.

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:13 pm

Whenever I buy a new car my standard offer is dealer cost plus $500. If the dealer says no I immediately leave. I don't negotiate beyond that. Bought a new one again earlier this year and I told the sales rep. what I wanted and what I would pay, as I knew what I wanted. As already been suggested check edmonds.com, but I also prefer manheim. Also require that the dealer bring you the invoice (not a copy). Most will allow a purchase in this manner but you need to be prepared to buy immediately and walk out if they say no. Kind of funny this year when I bought - I picked out the color, etc., then the sales rep said we needed to discuss price - I immediately told him we had already done that - He immediately got the manager and it was a done deal.

racefan

Post by racefan » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:44 pm

kbb.com
kelley blue book site.

marymoon

Post by marymoon » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:44 pm

Anonymous wrote:Whenever I buy a new car my standard offer is dealer cost plus $500. If the dealer says no I immediately leave. I don't negotiate beyond that. Bought a new one again earlier this year and I told the sales rep. what I wanted and what I would pay, as I knew what I wanted. As already been suggested check edmonds.com, but I also prefer manheim. Also require that the dealer bring you the invoice (not a copy). Most will allow a purchase in this manner but you need to be prepared to buy immediately and walk out if they say no. Kind of funny this year when I bought - I picked out the color, etc., then the sales rep said we needed to discuss price - I immediately told him we had already done that - He immediately got the manager and it was a done deal.
Ditto. DH and I have purchased our last 3 cars this way and we've yet to compromise on make/model/color, etc. Either the dealer wants to move a car off his lot or he doesn't. Like it was said above, be prepared to walk or buy immediately and watch for hidden/extra charges while completing the paperwork.

bearcatx16

Post by bearcatx16 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:05 pm

What DreamStalker and racefan said. They are 2 of the best places to start. Cars are just like masks, everyone, has their favorites and what one likes the other doesn't. Go to the dealers find what make and model meets your needs and or wants, then go to the web site of the vehicle choosen, look for dealer incentives and and rebates that are being offered. Look for an invoice for the model you have selected. Then it's time to go to the dealership. Deal with them like you would with your DME/sleeplab/sleep dr. Don't be afraid to go to another dealer and or another town. If you go to another dealership let them know you have a quote and see if they will beat it.

Good luck!

Blessings,

Fred

In the game of Life there is no two minute warning, just sudden death then judgment............Paraphrase Heb. 9:27 NIV
Not sure you believe in God.....just don't die.

roster

Post by roster » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:11 pm

lvwildcat wrote:What kind are you looking at, rooster??? I love new cars but hate the whole dealer thing.
Here is what I want to buy:

Here is what my wife bought herself in April:

Here is what the leftover money will buy for me:

Bonnie

Post by Bonnie » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:30 pm

If you want the ultimate sport car, American made, and go green in the process, this is for you...

http://www.teslamotors.com/

I drive a Honda hybrid and with the money I'm saving on gas I will be able to buy a Tesla in 2025

Bonnie

"People who say they slept like a baby apparently never had one"

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:18 pm

The last time I bought a new car I went through AutoVantage. At that time it was mainly a car buying club. This was in 1993. At the time you could order a car at dealer cost and they would have it custom made for you at the factory. It would be delivered to a car dealership.

I used this as bargaining to get a car for about $200 over dealer cost. I looked at their website and it appears they no longer advertise this. However a trial membership is $1 and you can get up to 5 new car summaries if you are a member. I think this gives you things like dealer cost, and a bunch of other helpful stuff that you can't get easily from the dealers.

When I buy my next car (used now) I plan to use them again.

http://www.autovantage.com

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:20 am

just don't get one of those electric-hybrid cars,

blind people have a problem with them, they are so quiet they cannot hear them coming,

if you get one put a high powered stereo in it and put on some hip-hop.

I remember driving up to local Wells Fargo drive up window, it had braille instructions for making a deposit.

Now its not that I have any problem with putting braille instructions at the drive up window, it's who gave that blind person a drivers license in the first place???
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...