Memory Foam Mattress "Outgassing".

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Flying_Norseman

Memory Foam Mattress "Outgassing".

Post by Flying_Norseman » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:23 pm

This may be a bit off topic, but since it pertains to sleep in a way, I will ask it anyway. I recently purchased a memory foam mattress topper from Sam's Club and put it on our bed. Since then our eyes have been watering like crazy and they are very irritable. I remember the night that we unfolded the thing to let it grow back to its normal dimensions, my eyes felt like they were on fire.

I think the term is : "Outgassing". Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing and do you know if it is unsafe? I am hoping the effects go away soon, because the mattress top is extremely comfortable and it is helping me sleep much better. Any thoughts you have are greatly appreciated.

Roadie

Post by Roadie » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:34 pm

We have a similar matress, and topper. The topper was purchased several years ago, and the matress only about two years ago. Each of these had the smell associated with it. Fortunately I suffered no alergic type reaction, no burning eyes etc. The smell goes away in a few nights. If it is a huge problem move the topper to some other room where it can air out for a week or so, leave the windows in this room open.

Strangely the smell associated with our new matress and topper reminded me of marshmallows, so for me it both smelled and felt like I was sleeping on a gigantic marshmallow.

Roadie
Last edited by Roadie on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Traveling sucks... Traveling with CPAP blows.

I'd rather be diving, then it is a good thing to breathe through your mouth.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:48 pm

When it comes down to it ... every substance (natural or not) is harmful to your health to some degree -- just that some are more so than others depending on the amount of exposure.

I have a 3-layered latex mattress with memory foam topper and a memory foam pillow. I do remember the instructions for the memory foam topper was to let it air out for a few days prior to using ... must'a worked cuz I'm still alive after 5 years of use ... who knows what it has done to my warped mind though?

Just remember: life is hazardous to your health
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Flying_Norseman

Post by Flying_Norseman » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:49 pm

Roadie,

Thanks for the info. I just did a little bit of research and found out some helpful things. I am going to air it out on top of some plywood in our garage (we only use if for storage) for about a week. If anyone else does some research, you will find the usual range of people telling you that it will make you die instantly or it will cure cancer, so you have to be a bit discerning.

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:04 pm

FN,

I have also heard this called off-gassing. It sounds like you have found a good solution. I object to these kinds of things. The smell alone really bothers me, and gets me worrying about what is really going on. I air out things like shower curtains/liners outside on my covered porch for a few days until the worste of it is gone. I've been tempted to get one of those though. Sounds comfy.

Jen

floppysleeper

Post by floppysleeper » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:19 pm

Oh they are comfy. I bought one when I had surgery and had to sleep downstairs on the futon (bedroom is upstairs). Futon killed my back, so I picked up the memory foam. It is awesome. I bought one for our camper too.

Maryb

Post by Maryb » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:49 pm

those memory foam toppers may be comfy but they are warm.
I finally got rid of mine because it was just too hot.

Maryb

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:05 pm

and all this time I thought it was my dog off gassing! Who knew it!

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

Flying_Norseman

Post by Flying_Norseman » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:14 pm

ROFL, Snoredog. My cat off gasses a lot too. It was worse when he was a kitten he would fart when we picked him up sort of like a defense mechanism, I imagine.

Perchancetodream

Post by Perchancetodream » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:58 pm

Flying_Norseman wrote:ROFL, Snoredog. My cat off gasses a lot too. It was worse when he was a kitten he would fart when we picked him up sort of like a defense mechanism, I imagine.
Hard to believe that such a little body could create such a big smell, isn't it? Ours cleared the room when she was hardly big enough to fill a hand.

BTW, we have the tempurpedic mattress and although we spent the first night in the guest room we didn't really notice any outgassing. (Too many years spent with cats and dogs?)

Susan
"If space is really a vacuum, who changes the bag?" George Carlin

drummergirl410

Post by drummergirl410 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:20 pm

ROFL!

Our dog, Gruffy does a good job of off gassing too! Especially when he is aslwep! If he lets out a big snore, better move away from there fast because you know what's coming next!
Joined the Hosehead Club on 7/26/2007 100% Compliant for four months... and counting!

mindy

Post by mindy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:20 pm

Yep, got a tempurpedic too - a slight bit of odor the first night but that was it. Great for sleeping!

And Snoredog, love that pic of what I can only assume is your dog - looks like a sweetheart!

Mindy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
--- Author unknown

Flying_Norseman

Post by Flying_Norseman » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:17 pm

My girlfriend says that my cat "takes after his dad" which I assume is me. I don't fart EVERY time she squeezes me though..

Country4ever

Post by Country4ever » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:58 pm

"A defense mechanism"....hahaha I guess it works though.

Question about the memory foam. Is that the stuff that leaves the impression of your body? If so....how can that be supportive at all? And if you want to change positions, do you keep falling into the hole you made earlier??

mindy

Post by mindy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:21 pm

Country4ever wrote: Question about the memory foam. Is that the stuff that leaves the impression of your body? If so....how can that be supportive at all? And if you want to change positions, do you keep falling into the hole you made earlier??
Yes, it does leave one's body impression. However, it doesn't go all the way through. It feels very supportive! Changing positions is easy ... the first week it felt weird but since then it has felt perfectly normal

Mindy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
--- Author unknown