being without cpap for 4 nights

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sphere5150

being without cpap for 4 nights

Post by sphere5150 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:40 am

I've been invited on a 4 night camping trip. Therefore will not be able to use my cpap during this time. Any advice or thoughts on any possible side effects that will happen during this time and what I can do to minimize them? I've been using cpap every night for almost 2 years and and don't know what to expect if I miss a few nights. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:00 am

I think it will suck. Hopefully you won't have a stroke or heart attack.

You could try sleeping standing up (like a horse).

Or you could try without in the comfort of your own home first so that if it turns out as bad as I think it will, you can quickly use your machine to try and recover ... then maybe change your mind about going on the trip.

Of course there is always lugging a big o deep cycle battery ... or two out to where ever you are going and get yourself the 12V DC adapter for your CPAP machine (do a search on "camping"). Just don't forget to take your machine with you too.

Best of luck in any case.

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Vadim

Post by Vadim » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:45 am

We in Canada have a wonderful store called Canadian Tire. They have plenty of power backup devices. Here are some of those:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/subca ... 2714889213

I am sure you can find similar in US. If you would take it to camping, you would have no worry

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:32 am

Take power or don't go. You won't be happy and might make others around you unhappy. I'm pretty sure that's what would happen to me if I were to try what you are talking about.

jmps

Post by jmps » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:57 am

I talked to my Sleep Doctor about this sort of thing when I had to go off CPAP for a month after having my deviated septum fixed. His take is that it is the long term non-use of CPAP that is the problem. Low oxygen levels over time is the killer. The ENT that did my surgery who I trust completely also concured with these statements. A few days off is OK but of course you will probably be tired because of sleep quality.

From my own experience I have found that being off CPAP does make me tired so I avoid it. I do travel for work and sometimes I have to go without CPAP for a few nights. When that happens I arrange the pillows so I sleep on my side and that really helps. That said, I do take the machine with me when I can. I would not go thru the hassle of batter power for camping but I get good enough sleep on my side. That may not be the case for you. The advice to try it at home is very good.

dand

Post by dand » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:05 am

Brookstone sells a "sleep apnea pillow." Basically, it forces you to sleep on your side with a slight downward angle. It might help and would be fairly easy to carry. Just a thought.

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:26 pm

How bad is your OSA?

Is this backpacking or car camping? An appropriate battery system is always possible when car camping.

Backpacking-a boil & bite plate and a sturdy chin strap as well as a semi reclining position will help. Same items if you are car camping and decide to wing it.
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

snork1

Post by snork1 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:49 pm

Its probably not worth the investment(time and money) if this is just a one time deal, But another option is to pick up a GOOD do it yourself dental appliance for "emergency use" such as this.
Best non-presciption one seems to be (for the moment anyway) the Somnoguard AP
http://nosnorezone.com/order.html

So you would invest $170. Bigger problem is you usually have to advance these devices into place slowly over a period of time, until your tongue is far enough forward to let air in, without any effect before that position, and if you rush it, you MIGHT get a sore jaw. Although for only 4 days that might not be enough time to get the jaw sore. Or you might find even a minimal advancement improves it better than going without anything.

Of course this assumes your tongue/jaw placement is a major factor in your apnea. Apnea is a complex mechanism and possible combination of causes, so your mileage may vary...
Remember:
What you read above is only one data point based on one person's opinion.
I am not a doctor, nor do I even play one on TV.
Your mileage may vary.
Follow ANY advice or opinions at your own risk.
Not everything you read is true.

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:59 pm

I talked to my Sleep Doctor about this sort of thing when I had to go off CPAP for a month after having my deviated septum fixed. His take is that it is the long term non-use of CPAP that is the problem. Low oxygen levels over time is the killer. The ENT that did my surgery who I trust completely also concured with these statements. A few days off is OK but of course you will probably be tired because of sleep quality.
i don't want to be a crepe hanger or anything, but i personally know of a young man (ie, 23 yrs old) in my town who was on cpap and forgot his mask when he went to stay at his brother's overnight...he had a fatal heart attack in his sleep, and his family members firmly believe it was due to his severe sleep apnea going untreated for that one night...
myself, i have forgone camping a few times this past summer because i didn't want the hassle but didn't want to be without my cpap (i will confess, though, that skipping camping wasn't such a hardship for me! )

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP

Justdave

Post by Justdave » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:38 pm

explain what kind of Camping.

in a camper?

in a popup in a trailer Park?

in a tent in a Public Camping Site, with vehicle Close.

on the side of a mountain you have to hike too with dangerous cliffs to fall
off of?

each one is a different answer.

in the first too, they most likely have Power, bring the machine, it's not that heavy.

The third has dc power via Car Just in Case, get Dc-to AC converter bring machine and take Naps in the Car in a pinch.

Last one is easy. As long as you know your numbers. most people get a 250.000 Policy but I would suggest 500,000

RosemaryB

Re: being without cpap for 4 nights

Post by RosemaryB » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:38 pm

[quote="sphere5150"]I've been invited on a 4 night camping trip. Therefore will not be able to use my cpap during this time. Any advice or thoughts on any possible side effects that will happen during this time and what I can do to minimize them? I've been using cpap every night for almost 2 years and and don't know what to expect if I miss a few nights. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by RosemaryB on Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Rose

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html

roster

Post by roster » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:48 pm

Sleep without the cpap at home one night for a trial.

Another thought, are your camping partners named beneficiaries in your life insurance policy?

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

roster

Post by roster » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:04 pm

Sphere, check out this experience: viewtopic/t5083/CPAP-Police.html, just one night.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related