sinus lift

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jomac30

sinus lift

Post by jomac30 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:39 pm

After reading the "collective wisdom" section, I have a question.
It says not to use cpap if you've had sinus surgery. I'm glad someone mentioned that because in a couple of weeks I'm having sinus surgery in order to have dental implants. The dentist said I will have swelling for a few days after the sinus lift and bone graft.
How long should I stop using cpap after this procedure and how will I know when it's okay to start cpap again?

Then a few weeks after this procedure, I need a bone graft on the other side. Will the air blowing up my nose dislodge the bone graft?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:20 pm

Those are questions you must ask your surgeon - and he should be consulting with your sleep doc for answers. Only the surgeon can know just what the state of your breathing passages will be like and how much (at what pressure?) they can take, and whether humidification is a good thing or not.

marymoon

Post by marymoon » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:47 pm

I had a sinus life in both maxillary cavities back in 2001 to prepare for dental implants, also. This was waaaay before I was diagnosed with apnea, though, so I don't have any experience in using the CPAP while healing. I'm still in the process of finishing my dental work (long story) and recently had more grafting done around the 8 maxillary implants and had no restrictions as to being back on CPAP.

Your best bet would be to discuss the effects of CPAP treatment thoroughly with the oral surgeon doing the sinus lift. My bone graft material was a mix of granular coral and cadaver bone (sorry to gross anyone out!) and I was cautioned to not sneeze, laugh or put any extra pressure on my palate for 6 weeks. I had a maxillary advancement surgery done at the same time as the lift and the palate pressure avoidance was mainly to let that bone heal. No surgery is a pleasant experience and you don't want to go and mess it up and have to have the lift repeated!

Good luck to you!

jomac30

Post by jomac30 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:59 pm

Thank you so much. I will contact my sleep doctor as well regarding this. My sinus lift and bone grafts are being done at a dental school by a periodontist. He was a dentist in Canada for 15 years. I think with the supervision of his instructor all should go well.