DISTURBED SLEEP - Minimum Tidal Volume = ZERO

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ACA327

DISTURBED SLEEP - Minimum Tidal Volume = ZERO

Post by ACA327 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:04 pm

I have been on CPAP for more than 20 years and currently doing well. Usually have a ResMed App score of 100 with AHI around .5 or less.
-BUT-
I have had three nights recently when I awaken in the middle of the night feeling like I can't breathe. Feels like the machine went off - only it didn't. After the last awakening and checking OSCAR I found that Minimum Respiratory Rate, Minute Vent. and Tidal Volume were all ZERO on my three problem nights. I know zero tidal volume on a respirator would set off an alarm.

Comments -

Last edited by ACA327 on Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

robysue1

Re: DISTURBED SLEEP - Minimum Tidal Volume = ZERO

Post by robysue1 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:41 pm

ACA327 wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:04 pm
I have been on CPAP for more than 20 years and currently doing well. Usually have a ResMed App score of 100 with AHI around .5 or less.
-BUT-
I have had three nights recently when I awaken in the middle of the night feeling like I can't breathe. Feels like the machine went off - only it didn't. After the last awakening and checking OSCAR I found that Minimum Respiratory Rate, Minute Vent. and Tidal Volume were all ZERO on my three problem nights. I know zero tidal volume on a respirator would set off an alarm.

Comments -
I would look at the flow rate curve at the times Oscar is reporting respiratory rate = 0, minute ventilation = 0, and/or tidal volume = 0.

In other words, I'd first make sure there isn't a data glitch where the minimum values for these parameters just happens to have been recorded at a time when you were still putting the mask on or taking it off. And if you can find places where the Respiratory Rate graph or the Minute Ventilation graph or the Tidal Volume graph actually shows a drop to 0, then look at the flow rate: Were you breathing? and if you were breathing, how normal do the breaths look?
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:15 pm

ACA327 wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:04 pm
fter the last awakening and checking OSCAR I found that Minimum Respiratory Rate, Minute Vent. and Tidal Volume were all ZERO on my three problem nights.
Which is why just looking at stats doesn't tell you anything.

You have to look at the charts.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ACA327

Post by ACA327 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:25 am

Thanks for the advise on charts. I am aware of the importance of charts and tried to attach two but get error Message. "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."

The "oddities" were awakenings in the middle of the night and not when I was putting on or removing the mask. Flow rate indicates I am breathing. Without being able to attach charts I don't know that anyone can make helpful suggestions.

Board needs to purge the data base so new charts can be posted.

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:16 am

ACA327 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:25 am
Thanks for the advise on charts. I am aware of the importance of charts and tried to attach two but get error Message. "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."
Post the images over at imgur and then link to the image in your message over here. It's not difficult. If you need help figuring it out, just let me know.
The "oddities" were awakenings in the middle of the night and not when I was putting on or removing the mask. Flow rate indicates I am breathing.
If you are breathing, then it's a data glitch: If you are breathing, RR, tidal volume, and minute ventilation cannot be 0.

Without being able to attach charts I don't know that anyone can make helpful suggestions.

Pugsy (the defacto moderator) does not own the board and she does not have the permission to purge the data. She has repeatedly reported the problem to the board's owner and has been ignored.
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:59 am

Joins, doesn't read instructions, makes first post, demands forum changes :roll:

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:21 pm

ACA327 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:25 am
Without being able to attach charts I don't know that anyone can make helpful suggestions.

read this here->
viewtopic/t183806/Attachment-storage-is ... MENTS.html

and attach charts.

also, pls read here->
viewtopic/t172378/Sticky--Newbies-PLEAS ... STING.html

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

ACA327

Post by ACA327 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:49 pm

My disrupted sleep pattern fell into an OSCAR void:

"The zero values for RR, MV, and TV are artifacts from the fact that the machine starts reporting these values about 15 to 20 seconds after the flow and Pressure start reporting. The next OSCAR release will not start recording those values until 20 seconds after the pressure and flow values start. Until then, ignore the displayed minimum values in the statistics chart, and examine the various graphs. The machine can't calculate averages until it has sufficient data, so it outputs zeros until then. The solution for OSCAR is to skip the first 20 seconds of data, which is enough for it to stabilize. This will show up in the next release."