New mask - now getting dry mouth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
earlvillestu

New mask - now getting dry mouth

Post by earlvillestu » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:08 pm

For about six months, I've been using a "Brand X" full face mask that I found on Amazon, which is similar to the Mirage Quattro -- see my avatar for a photo. The therapy has been good (AHI averages about 0.4), and while I would not call it comfortable, I've been wearing it more than nine hours a night, and it's tolerable. But recently, as an experiment, I bought an F&P Evora Full Face Mask and have been using that for about a week. I've not noticed any difference in the therapy -- the average AHI is about what it has been with the old mask -- but it's definitely more comfortable, and I'm awakened fewer times a night by mask leaks. The one downside is that I'm now waking up with a very dry mouth, which I was not experiencing with the other mask. Any insights or suggestions would be welcome.

earlvillestu

Re: New mask - now getting dry mouth

Post by earlvillestu » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:09 am

Anyone have any ideas?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:01 am

XYLIMELTS

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:56 am

Just to be sure it's the mask and not something else, can you try going back to the old mask for a couple of nights?
earlvillestu wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:08 pm
I'm awakened fewer times a night by mask leaks. The one downside is that I'm now waking up with a very dry mouth, which I was not experiencing with the other mask.
These two sentences sound paradoxical.
:?
Unless.... unless you're sleeping deeper and your mouth drops open?

When I use a full face mask, my non-taped mouth only gets troublesomely dry if the mask is leaking....

Have you looked at the objective leak rate? Could it be that for some mask related reason you're leaking without being woken up by it?

I mean, maybe the leak is larger but doesn't wake you up because it makes a different amount of noise, or doesn't hit you where it can wake you?

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:35 pm

The mask in your avatar appears to go under your chin. If it did, it would help keep your mouth closed at night. My wife and I are both use a firm foam cervical collar with the Evora mask. The collar keeps our chin from dropping and our mouth from coming open. You can use a cervical collar or a chin strap to keep your mouth closed.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

earlvillestu

Post by earlvillestu » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:14 pm

ozij wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:56 am

When I use a full face mask, my non-taped mouth only gets troublesomely dry if the mask is leaking....

Have you looked at the objective leak rate? Could it be that for some mask related reason you're leaking without being woken up by it?

I mean, maybe the leak is larger but doesn't wake you up because it makes a different amount of noise, or doesn't hit you where it can wake you?
That may be it. I hadn't pulled the SD card and loaded it into OSCAR since switching masks. Now that I did so, it shows a very high leak rate every night since the switch. They are silent leaks, compared to those with the other mask, when there were fewer leaks but they howled and awakened me.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll tighten down the straps and see if that helps.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:24 pm

earlvillestu wrote:
I'm now waking up with a very dry mouth
Starting with the basics, you are breathing some through your mouth. As little as five minutes of mouth-breathing can cause a very dry mouth. Some suggestions:

1. Wear a foam cervical collar to help prevent jaw-drop. The collars also hold the neck in the optimal position for airway patency by preventing the chin from moving toward the chest. Otherwise, when the chin moves toward the chest, the airway tends to be crimped. (My pressure requirements are much less when wearing a collar.)

2. Practice holding the tip of the tongue on the roof of the mouth and keeping the mouth closed.

3. Tape your lips before you don the mask. I use a similar mask and tape with sleep strips - https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Breathi ... ref=sr_1_5

4. The Evora should be sized and adjusted so that the bottom is near the lower lip. This can help prevent the lips from parting.

nightnight

Post by nightnight » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:34 pm

That mask is HUGE.

Try a smaller size.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:41 pm

nightnight wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:34 pm
That mask is HUGE.

Try a smaller size.
Yes, in the avatar, he is wearing it underneath the chin. The proper size places the bottom of the mask between the chin and lower lip. In other words, in the labiomental groove.

earlvillestu

Post by earlvillestu » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:15 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:24 pm
earlvillestu wrote:
I'm now waking up with a very dry mouth
Starting with the basics, you are breathing some through your mouth. As little as five minutes of mouth-breathing can cause a very dry mouth. Some suggestions:

1. Wear a foam cervical collar to help prevent jaw-drop. The collars also hold the neck in the optimal position for airway patency by preventing the chin from moving toward the chest. Otherwise, when the chin moves toward the chest, the airway tends to be crimped. (My pressure requirements are much less when wearing a collar.)

2. Practice holding the tip of the tongue on the roof of the mouth and keeping the mouth closed.

3. Tape your lips before you don the mask. I use a similar mask and tape with sleep strips - https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Breathi ... ref=sr_1_5

4. The Evora should be sized and adjusted so that the bottom is near the lower lip. This can help prevent the lips from parting.
I've ordered a cervical mask. I am wearing the Evora with the bottom just below the lower lip.

earlvillestu

Post by earlvillestu » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:19 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:41 pm
nightnight wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:34 pm
That mask is HUGE.

Try a smaller size.
Yes, in the avatar, he is wearing it underneath the chin. The proper size places the bottom of the mask between the chin and lower lip. In other words, in the labiomental groove.
The mask pictured in the avatar is not the one I'm having mouth-breathing/dry-mouth troubles with. The small photo in the avatar may look like I'm wearing it under the chin, but the bottom of it is really between the chin and the lower lip.

If the Evora doesn't work out, I'll go back to the original, which was tolerable and gave me good results.

earlvillestu

Post by earlvillestu » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:56 am

Last night I used a chinstrap that I had bought but never used. The leaks were reduced, my mouth was not quite as dry, and Mr. ResMed had a green smiley face for me this morning. I'll keep using the strap until the cervical mask arrives next week. I've also ordered some mouth tape. I'm going to do some experimenting to see what works best leak-wise and balance that against what is most comfortable.

Thanks, everyone, for the guidance.

earlvillestu

Post by earlvillestu » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:12 pm

First night with the cervical mask last night. Wow! What a difference! No dry mouth at all. Got 8 hours of good sleep. Spent much of the night on my back, which is the most comfortable position for me, but it usually drives my AHI very high. But the AHI for the night was under 0.2. I think this is the solution.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:07 pm

earlvillestu wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:12 pm
First night with the cervical mask last night. Wow! What a difference! No dry mouth at all. Got 8 hours of good sleep. Spent much of the night on my back, which is the most comfortable position for me, but it usually drives my AHI very high. But the AHI for the night was under 0.2. I think this is the solution.
you keep posting cervical "mask".

you mean cervical "collar", right?

anyway, glad it helps!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

earlvillestu

Post by earlvillestu » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:18 am