Mask Leakage

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JamesRB

Mask Leakage

Post by JamesRB » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:26 pm

G’Day All, I’m in my second month of being a first time user. There have been challenges but overall I’m headed to a much healthier life. I use an F & P Sleep Style Auto with a F & P Vitera mask. I find the mask comfortable as a restless sleeper with a short beard. My problem is that when I have Apnea episodes and my machine goes to the higher pressure limit my mask tends to leak and wake me. Once I reposition the mask the leak will stop but often starts again. My current setting is low pressure 5 and high pressure 14. The best ahi I achieved is 9-10, (with a one-off 3.2?) I believe possibly the high pressure setting is not enough?
What is an average high pressure setting and do I need to increase mine to achieve an under 5 ahi?
I’ve tried many, many masks so still believe the Vitera is ok for me. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

ChicagoGranny

Re: Mask Leakage

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:55 pm

JamesRB wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:26 pm
high pressure 14
The majority of regular members set their max at 20.0. The machine will not go higher than it needs to. If 14.0 is sufficient, the machine will not go any higher.
JamesRB wrote:
low pressure 5
This is a low minimum that is likely not optimal for you.
JamesRB wrote:
The best ahi I achieved is 9-10
That's bad.

If you want help finding your optimal pressure settings, start using OSCAR (or SleepHQ for those not so good with technology) and post a daily screen shot in this thread. Otherwise, it would be guessing which settings are best for you.
JamesRB wrote:
my mask tends to leak and wake me
In the meantime, find your mask on youtube and carefully watch two or three videos on fitting and adjusting.

Welcome!

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:02 pm

JamesRB wrote:
G’Day All, I’m in my second month of being a first time user.

you've come to the right place for help. now, if you would be so kind, we'll need data from you in order to help you with your journey.

please read the following thread so that you can help us help you-

viewtopic/t172378/Sticky--Newbies-PLEAS ... STING.html

i see granny has already pointed out oscar. it's important for you to get to know it and get us some charts. it's all explained in the thread i linked.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

JamesRB

Post by JamesRB » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:29 am

Hi, thanks for your reply and update. It’s looks like Oscar requires MacOS, I use an iPad which is IOS.
I’ll need to access a computer to use Oscar which I’ll try to do soon, thanks for your help.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:37 am

No no - it was (only) designed on a Mac, but the user majority now use (probably) Windows if anything.

JamesRB

Post by JamesRB » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:42 am

Ok, thanks.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:47 pm

JamesRB wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:29 am
Hi, thanks for your reply and update. It’s looks like Oscar requires MacOS, I use an iPad which is IOS.
I’ll need to access a computer to use Oscar which I’ll try to do soon, thanks for your help.
Oscar doesn't work on an ipad. it works on mac, windows, and linux.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:10 pm

JamesRB wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:29 am
when you get that access, be sure to post your charts right here in this thread.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

JamesRB

Post by JamesRB » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:26 pm

Ok, thanks!