Been awhile - posting results for review - still pretty tired every day

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mjrodman

Been awhile - posting results for review - still pretty tired every day

Post by mjrodman » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:22 pm

Hi all,

I haven't posted in awhile, and haven't really changed anything in my therapy going on 4 years now.

ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset

I use a Philips Dreamwear full face mask

I ramp up from 13.4 to 15-16.

I'm still pretty tired every day. My Whoop tells me I average a wake event every hour. I'm think these events are mostly external (side sore from sleeping on it, or maybe the dog wakes me up). I'd love some advice on how to not be so tired.

I think I mouth-breathe a lot of the time. I've tried just the nasal pillow, but air leaks through my mouth, and I still snore I think. One of my biggest problems with the CPAP are the lines it leaves on my face from the full mask, despite that I have some pads on the straps, etc. I also side-sleep, so I'm laying ON the straps and the mask air lines.

I've seen ads for putting tape over your mouth and forcing yourself to breathe through the nose. Anyone do this? I could go back to a nasal pillow to simplify things if this is common and recommended to help you breathe through your nose only.

Hopefully I've given enough info to get started. Much appreciate any help/discussion.

DayDreamBeliever

Re: Been awhile - posting results for review - still pretty tired every day

Post by DayDreamBeliever » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:10 am

Is it just me or does everyone else not see the images in this post?

Could someone help the OP to post their images?

(BTW, BBCode image sizing doesn't seem to work on this forum software version)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:24 am

DayDreamBeliever wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:10 am
Is it just me or does everyone else not see the images in this post?
I see the images straight away.....so I don't see a problem needing fixing (other than I don't personally like snippets).

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:26 am

I too see the images

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

DayDreamBeliever

Post by DayDreamBeliever » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:30 am

OK - I generally use FF, where they aren't showing up. I do see them now in Chrome.
Sorry for the noise

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:39 am

DayDreamBeliever wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:30 am
OK - I generally use FF, where they aren't showing up. I do see them now in Chrome.
Sorry for the noise
FWIW I am using FireFox and I am seeing the images. Have no idea why you can't.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

DayDreamBeliever

Post by DayDreamBeliever » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:45 am

I figured it out: the images are hosted on Facebook's CDN. My FF is configured to block "Social Trackers", which it thinks includes these links.
Anyway, I don't want to derail the OP's thread...

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:47 pm

DayDreamBeliever wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:30 am
Sorry for the noise
They show up in my firefox.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:48 pm

mjrodman wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:22 pm
Hi all,

I haven't posted in awhile, and haven't really changed anything in my therapy going on 4 years now.

ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
This is from the OP 2 years ago
Just started using Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset - help with Oscar data

Last post on that thread:
Miss Emerita wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:17 am
Very nice! Stay with these settings for a week and keep track of how you are feeling during the day. Once there are 7-8 nights to go on, we could reassess.
Number of posts by OP between that response and the present post?

0, as in "none".
mjrodman wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:42 pm
I was excited for 6 replies.. Ahh well.

Haha
Suggestion no. 1: take yourself a bit more seriously, and be a bit more considerate of people who want to help you, including those who want to make sure your images are seen.
Suggestion no. 2: Some people are bothered by pressure changes they done't sleep well. Try fixed at 14.
Because: What I see in your data is that your minimal pressure drops till you have flow limitations, these push the pressure back up.
Good luck.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:05 pm

mjrodman wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:42 pm
I was excited for 6 replies.. Ahh well.

Haha
Valid complaint! Sorry about the derailment.

To answer your question:

Your pressure's a little lower than I'd like to see, which means you're pressure graph is more active than it probably should be, Pressure goes up in response to breathing issues, not all of which count in the AHI.

What I'd suggest doing is changing your pressure, set the minimum at 14, max at 20 (setting the max to 20 just stops restricting the machine if it needed to respond to your changing needs).

See what that does for a few days.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:09 am

As others have said, flow limitations is what are driving the pressure increases. If aerophagia is not an issue, bumping up the min pressure a bit will help smooth out the pressure curve and that could lead to more restful sleep---if pressure increases are what is bothering you.

You also say you are a mouth breather and you are currently using a full face mask, but there is still some evidence of low level leaks. These leaks are not big enough to effect the efficacy of your therapy, but they may be something that is waking you up. And in that case finding a way to manage the leaks could lead to more restful sleep. Taping with a nasal pillows mask might work better for you than the current full face mask, particularly if you primarily breathe through your nose during the daytime.

You also write:
mjrodman wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:22 pm
I'm still pretty tired every day. My Whoop tells me I average a wake event every hour. I'm think these events are mostly external (side sore from sleeping on it, or maybe the dog wakes me up). I'd love some advice on how to not be so tired.
If your Whoop tells you when those wakes are occurring and how long they last, it is worth zooming in on the xPAP data at those times. See if any of the Whoop wakes correspond to any of the following things in the xPAP data:
  • Pressure increases
  • Start of leaks
  • End of leaks
  • Peaks in the snore graph
  • Peaks in the flow limitation graph
Also double check the timing of the wakes: If there are stretches of multiples of 90 minutes between some of the wakes, then some of the wakes could just be normal post-REM wakes. And in that case, there's not much to do about them except not to obsess or worry about them. The idea is if the wakes occur between full sleep cycles and are short enough for you to not remember, they probably aren't adversely affecting the quality of your sleep. But if you're not managing to get a few full sleep cycles without wakes, that could be part of why you still feel tired every day.

Finally, it's worth reiterating the obvious: There are lots of medical problems that can cause daytime fatigue, and not all of them are related to sleep apnea. When was the last time you had a full physical exam with your primary care doctor? Have you mentioned the ongoing daily fatigue to your primary care doctor? Have the standard blood tests been done? Have your thyroid levels been checked? Has your vitamin D level been checked? Are you taking any medication that has known side affects that could be causing the fatigue or affecting your sleep?
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:08 pm

robysue1 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:09 am
-if pressure increases are what is bothering you.
My theory, which I'm sticking to until I get credible evidence otherwise, is that pressure increases don't bother people.

What bothers people is what causes the pressure increase, ie, breathing problems, which do disturb sleep, so someone has a breathing problem, their sleep is disturbed, they look at the machine and see the pressure is up, and blame the pressure increase for the arousal, instead of blaming the actual thing that woke them up, the breathing problem.

It makes logical sense, which is why I'm such a fan of bumping up the base pressure in order to head off more of those breathing problems in the first place.

mjrodman

Post by mjrodman » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:43 pm

Thanks all for the suggestions, I'll make one suggested change at a time and see how it goes after a few nights.

I'll report back so what's their face doesn't get all bent out of shape again. Way to detract from an already derailed thread that had nothing to do with me.

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:36 pm

mjrodman wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:43 pm
I'll report back so what's their face doesn't get all bent out of shape again.
Yes, please do report back.
Feedback on advice given helps us learn.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery