AurCurve 19 ASV - my exhalations are not venting

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dnuffer

AurCurve 19 ASV - my exhalations are not venting

Post by dnuffer » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:26 am

For a year I've been on cpap/bipap/ now asv with treatment emergent Apnea. Recently I noticed my f20 mask elbow exhaust valve isn't working. When I was on cpao/BiPAP I had exhaust flow when I exhaled. The little flaps are inside the elbow joint but never close to vent my exhalations so I exhale into the climateline tube and rebreath. Is that how it's supposed to work? Is it safe to rebreath all night long?

ozij

Re: AurCurve 19 ASV - my exhalations are not venting

Post by ozij » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:36 am

dnuffer wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:26 am
For a year I've been on cpap/bipap/ now asv with treatment emergent Apnea. Recently I noticed my f20 mask elbow exhaust valve isn't working. When I was on cpao/BiPAP I had exhaust flow when I exhaled. The little flaps are inside the elbow joint but never close to vent my exhalations so I exhale into the climateline tube and rebreath. Is that how it's supposed to work? Is it safe to rebreath all night long?
I assume AirCurve 19 is a slip and you meant Aircurve 10 ASV.

The little flaps are supposed to be closed, in order for you to have the pressure you need, supplied through your tube.
The exhaled air - when therapy is working properly - does not, repeat not go out through those openings, but rather through the little holes in the elbow.

The flaps open when there's no pressure, in order to ensure your exhalations escape, and fresh air comes in.

I don't know why the flaps in your F20 don't close when your machine is on, but you have to get that taken care of.
With the flaps/vents open, the machine does not give you the therapy you need.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

dnuffer

Post by dnuffer » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:26 pm

Thanks very much.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:04 am

dnuffer wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:26 am
If you were re-breathing your exhaled breath all night long, you'd be dead.

If you're dead, and posting, let us know, because we'd like to notify the news media.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Respirator99

Post by Respirator99 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:19 am

Ozij, I just had a close look at my F20 and I think you've got it a bit back-to-front. The flaps remain open at all times except when there is no pressure from the machine and you exhale. The flaps remain open at all times under machine pressure, both inhale and exhale. They only close if the machine is not generating pressure. When the machine is running there is enough pressure to keep the flaps open. As you said, the exhaled breath goes through the elbow vent (tiny holes).

The idea is that the airflow from the machine is sufficient to maintain therapy pressure while continually purging some of the machine's airflow and your exhalation out through the elbow vent. If the machine goes off, there is no pressure coming up the tube but the pressure of your exhalation is sufficient to close the flaps and cause the exhaled air to exit through the vent.
* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* An alternative to Oscar - try SleepHQ

I have no medical training or qualifications. Take my advice for what it's worth.

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:01 am

Respirator99 wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:19 am
Ozij, I just had a close look at my F20 and I think you've got it a bit back-to-front. The flaps remain open at all times except when there is no pressure from the machine and you exhale. The flaps remain open at all times under machine pressure, both inhale and exhale. They only close if the machine is not generating pressure. When the machine is running there is enough pressure to keep the flaps open. As you said, the exhaled breath goes through the elbow vent (tiny holes).
Maybe its a question of terminology. (as in "Is the glass half empty or half full?")

I took another look at my F30 elbow - here's what I mean:

The F30 (F20) use the same elbow.
The elbow has a large openings on either side.
There are flaps at the elbow's angle, and air can flow all around them. They leave that opening open unless there's pressure in the system.
When there's pressure, the flaps get pressed onto those large openings - closing them. If they don't, you get noise, and not enough positive air pressure. When the large openings are closed, the exhaled air only goes out through the tiny holes.
When there's no pressure, the flaps fall down. You breath in fresh in through those large opening on the side and it flows in around those flaps. Breathing out may close the flaps, but they drop back down easily from the large side opening when you inhale. There's room for air to come in all around them. I don't consider their natural position (not under pressure position)"closed" - because in that position, they don't stop your inhale of fresh air.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Respirator99

Post by Respirator99 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:46 am

Ozij, I had another look at the elbow after reading your explanation and it didn't work the way I thought. You are right. My apologies.
* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* An alternative to Oscar - try SleepHQ

I have no medical training or qualifications. Take my advice for what it's worth.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:18 pm

The tiny holes are for exhaust.
The big flappy things are the anti-asphyxia valve, which, as mentioned,
only moves out of the way to keep you from suffocating
when the electricity goes off.