Snoring issue

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SaraDuran

Snoring issue

Post by SaraDuran » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:39 am

Hello everyone. I have a bad sleeping habit that is snoring loudly. Anyone have the same problem? If you figured out how to fix or improve it, please share it with me. Your help is greatly appreciated.

D.H.

Re: Snoring issue

Post by D.H. » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:19 am

Quite frequently, loud or irregular snoring is often a sign of Obstructive Sleep Apnea (Central Sleep Apnea is generally silent).

If you have Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA), it must be treated regardless of snoring. BTW, if you're OSA is well controlled, you probably won't snore.

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:32 am

There are several screening tests online that measure your risk for sleep apnea. Snoring is one of the indicators.

Here's one:

https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/3992/stop-b ... leep-apnea

Based on the results you might need to see a doctor who specializes in sleep apnea.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:52 am

Beware of so-called "snoring solutions".
They will not address the root cause, which is often apnea.
Apnea kills people--slowly--but it is a very miserable way to die.
Before cpap, I snored so loudly that my family thought it was funny.
I was unable to stay awake to watch an entire movie,
and nearly got fired for falling asleep at work.
Cpap has quieted my snoring and vastly improved my life.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:57 am

troll?
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:09 pm

SaraDuran wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:39 am
Hello everyone. I have a bad sleeping habit that is snoring loudly. Anyone have the same problem? If you figured out how to fix or improve it, please share it with me. Your help is greatly appreciated.
In order to answer this question, we need to know a bit of background info:

Are you wondering whether you might have OSA and might need a CPAP? If so, the answers to your questions are:
  • Yes, a lot of people here at cpaptalk.com snored loudly before we started using a CPAP machine.
  • Yes, we figured out that when we use a CPAP machine that is correctly set, we no longer snore. Or we snore only very occasionally. And if we snore, the loudness of the snoring goes way, way down.
  • And we would strongly encourage you to get tested for OSA because if OSA is the cause of your snoring, OTC "snoring" fixes are not going to fix your problem.

Have you already been diagnosed with OSA and are you snoring while using a CPAP?. If so, the answers to your questions are:
  • No, most of us do not snore loudly when we use a properly adjusted CPAP machine. In other words, the machine prevents snoring just like it prevents the apneas and hypopneas from happening.
  • If we did have some problems with snoring even when using the mask, we fixed the problem by optimizing our CPAP therapy. In the case of snoring that usually means increasing the pressure setting on the machine you are using. How much to increase the pressure depends on what your machine's data (if available) says about how well your apnea is controlled by your current setting.
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls