Brand New to CPAP and STRUGGLING

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ykf7b0

Brand New to CPAP and STRUGGLING

Post by ykf7b0 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:41 pm

Hello, I've just recently completed a sleep study that was provided to me by the Veteran's Administration and performed by an independent sleep study clinic. It has been determined that I have moderate sleep apnea and I was scheduled a sleep study just last night with a cpap. After only 3 hours I had to end the session. I must say it was the most uncomfortable experience I've had in a very long time. I have had some traumatic nasal injuries and the nose only mask was awful because I felt I was smothering the 3 hours I had it on. I have a feeling I will be scheduled to try again and probably with a full mask because I'm mouth breathing a lot of the time. I would love to know how you guys ever got used to this and how long did it take you to get sleep with it on. Thank you all and I really appreciate having this forum to help me get through this. Greg

wegogirl

Re: Brand New to CPAP and STRUGGLING

Post by wegogirl » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:24 pm

I’m new since April and use dreamwear with nasal pillow insets. It was hard to relax and ease into feeling comfortable. I was told I could start using it for 3 or more hours while adjusting. It took a while but, I was determined to make it work. I’m traveling out of country in a month and looking for advice on traveling with a cpap….trying to avoid buying a small travel size.
While learning to relax and breath I also had nasal irritation that resolved using Vaseline and better adjustment.
I’m very happy with how it has helped me sleep better.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:13 am

Almost every person that wears the cpap mask has gone thru your experience. I remember thinking the same thing. It seems you are probably going to need the full-face mask, due to your mouth breathing. I keep my mouth open all night, because like you, I have nasal issues. Ask for the Resmed F20 mask. It's a popular mask. You can open your mouth with a full face mask. Try wearing the mask while reading or watching TV. It'll help you get used to it.

Bring your issues here. We'll help you thru this.

Sheriff

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:19 am

Greg,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear that you had a really lousy night during the CPAP titration study. I've had more than one of those myself, albeit many years ago.

Hopefully a CPAP titration study with a full face mask so you can easily breathe through your mouth will seem less torturous to you.

You write:
ykf7b0 wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:41 pm
I would love to know how you guys ever got used to this and how long did it take you to get sleep with it on. Thank you all and I really appreciate having this forum to help me get through this. Greg
The amount of time it takes to get used to sleeping with a mask on your face and air blowing down your throat varies tremendously. A few lucky souls (like my husband) have almost no problems sleeping with the mask right from the start. A few unlucky souls, like myself, can take a year or more before they're sleeping well with the mask.

For most people? It takes a few weeks to a couple of months to straighten out all the new-to-CPAP bumps and start sleeping well with the mask.

Having a support network, like cpaptalk.com, can be tremendously useful. I seriously don't think I would have ever gotten through my difficult adjustment period without the kind folks here at cpaptalk.com. They were always there with suggestions for me to try when I was troubleshooting my issues with CPAP therapy and they also gave me both the room to rant when I needed to as well as keeping me honest about getting over the rants when it really was time to climb back into the saddle and keep slugging away at getting used to having the mask on my nose.

One thing that helps us help you is accurately describing the issues you are facing when you are sleeping with the mask on your face. We can't make useful suggestions when we don't actually understand the problem. And there are many different problems that new users describe as "I can't breath" or "The mask is just plain uncomfortable." Some of those different problems have very different solutions and suggestions for Problem A can actually make Problem B feel worse.
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:41 am

ykf7b0 wrote:
the nose only mask was awful because I felt I was smothering the 3 hours I had it on.
Don't let your experience with one mask spoil things. There are many different styles and models of masks. You can view most of them here --> cpap.com
ykf7b0 wrote:
I have had some traumatic nasal
Have you had a consultation with an ENT recently? It would be a good idea to go soon and discuss sleep apnea and CPAP with her.

Starfield83

Post by Starfield83 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:23 am

Hi Greg,
I am also new to CPAP therapy, about 90 days into it now.
Some nights it works fine but about 1/2 the time I still struggle with it. I have a full face mask and absolutely hate it. Soon as my insurance will pay, I will be trying the nasal pillows. I think the main problem with the full mask is the amount of skin surface area the mask has to seal around and more surface area = more potential for leaks to occur. It doesn’t seem to matter how well my mask is fitted before I go to sleep, it could wake me up at 2am with air blowing against my cheek, near corner of mouth, or around my nose.
Perhaps a full mask will work better for you, but that’s the problems I have had with it.
Best of luck.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:42 am

Starfield83 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:23 am
I have a full face mask and absolutely hate it.
Have you found that model on youtube and carefully watched some videos on fitting and adjusting?

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:50 am

ykf7b0 wrote:
Hello, I've just recently completed a sleep study that was provided to me by the Veteran's Administration and performed by an independent sleep study clinic. It has been determined that I have moderate sleep apnea and I was scheduled a sleep study just last night with a cpap. After only 3 hours I had to end the session. I must say it was the most uncomfortable experience I've had in a very long time. I have had some traumatic nasal injuries and the nose only mask was awful because I felt I was smothering the 3 hours I had it on. I have a feeling I will be scheduled to try again and probably with a full mask because I'm mouth breathing a lot of the time. I would love to know how you guys ever got used to this and how long did it take you to get sleep with it on. Thank you all and I really appreciate having this forum to help me get through this. Greg
vaseline will break down silicone.

Try Lansinoh lanolin. Found with breastfeeding items at walmart. A little goes a long way. Don’t be put off by nipple cream. This is better solution as it aids healing.

Lansinoh Lanolin Nipple Cream for Breastfeeding, 1.41 Ounces https://a.co/d/gptRyUU

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

Starfield83

Post by Starfield83 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:51 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:42 am
Starfield83 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:23 am
I have a full face mask and absolutely hate it.
Have you found that model on youtube and carefully watched some videos on fitting and adjusting?
I was instructed in person, seen videos, and used the machines mask fit test. Everything is fine when I go to sleep, but I guess hours of pressure inside the mask and skin oils eventually cause the blowouts to occur.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:15 pm

I was instructed in person, seen videos, and used the machines mask fit test. Everything is fine when I go to sleep, but I guess hours of pressure inside the mask and skin oils eventually cause the blowouts to occur.
Have you tried fitting your mask at your highest pressure? The ResMed should have a "Mask Fit" feature that will allow you to fit the mask while it's running at the highest pressure in your range. I think it runs about 15 minutes, then goes back to the regular pressure settings. That will give you time to make sure you're not going to leak when it goes up to a higher pressure. Sometimes that helps.

But you are correct, there's so much surface area that has to seal on a FF mask that it's difficult. If you feel that face oils are an issue, you might want to look into a mask liner to see if that helps any.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

ykf7b0

Post by ykf7b0 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:28 pm

Have you had a consultation with an ENT recently? It would be a good idea to go soon and discuss sleep apnea and CPAP with her.
[/quote]

I had an evaluation and it was determined I only breath 50% from each nostril but cpap wasn’t mentioned the best I remember. That was one year ago. My VA doctor got me set up for the sleep studies.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:30 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:15 pm
But you are correct, there's so much surface area that has to seal on a FF mask that it's difficult.
Are you thinking about the traditional FFMs that covered from the cleft of the chin to most of the cheeks and up over the bridge of the nose? Have you never seen the F30i that he is using? It's only a mouthpiece with two openings for the nose. It's a small surface area and is lightweight.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:32 pm

ykf7b0 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:28 pm
I had an evaluation and it was determined I only breath 50% from each nostril
That's unhealthy even when you are awake, not to mention it can make CPAP difficult to use. I would have a consultation with a different ENT soon.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:37 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:30 pm
Janknitz wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:15 pm
But you are correct, there's so much surface area that has to seal on a FF mask that it's difficult.
Are you thinking about the traditional FFMs that covered from the cleft of the chin to most of the cheeks and up over the bridge of the nose? Have you never seen the F30i that he is using? It's only a mouthpiece with two openings for the nose. It's a small surface area and is lightweight.
Still a lot more surface area than a nasal prong or cradle mask, and the mouth moves more than the nose.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

ejbpesca

Post by ejbpesca » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:04 am

I about lost it my first days with a CPAP mask on my face thinking I just could not do it, but with time I finally got somewhat use to it.

It was pretty freaky. Somewhere between awake and asleep I imagined I was on an airplane at 30,000 ft. and the air pressure for the cabin had failed so I had to wear this air delivering mask on the long flight to survive. That sort of worked to let me accept the mask. Then I had a dream that the crab looking thing in the movie Alien had grabbed my face. I ripped the mask/headgear off and woke in a panic. That happened several times.

It took a few weeks, but I finally got used to the mask although I still take breaks from it over 10 years later.

Best of luck. Hope it all works for you. I am still looking for answers and having problems with my therapy. I have no local help from doctors nor technicians so I look to forums for help.