New user -- high, constant pressure /loud noise

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
yefchak

New user -- high, constant pressure /loud noise

Post by yefchak » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:01 pm

Hi folks,

I'm new to CPAP, and my first machine is a ResMed AirMini. I purchased this while waiting for my primary machine to arrive (still several months from now). I've had this for six days so far. My first night was fine, but then...

At least once each night, I'm awakened (as is my spouse!) by a very loud noise accompanied by constant, very high pressure. Unlike normal operation, where the pressure modulates as I breathe in and out, this pressure is constant, with a large air flow out my mask vent. The mask doesn't leak. I've been very careful to insure a good fit, and this behavior is quite different from what happens if I temporarily displace the mask while adjusting my sleep position, etc.

Is this normal? Is my machine malfunctioning? Right now, I don't see how I can continue using the device with this happening every night. In each case I've had to turn it off and remove the mask. Sometimes I'll wake up again and put it back one, but not always. So this seems bad.

I'd appreciate any info from folks who know what's going on. Thanks!

Deborah K.

Re: New user -- high, constant pressure /loud noise

Post by Deborah K. » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:19 pm

Bumping this up for you. Maybe someone who can help you will see your post and respond.
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:32 pm

Call whoever you got the machine from and ask them....

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:34 pm

yefchak wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:01 pm
Is this normal?
No.
yefchak wrote:
Is my machine malfunctioning?
There is no way for us to tell.

When this happens, do you turn the machine off and them back on?

What are your pressure settings?

yefchak

Post by yefchak » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:15 pm

> When this happens, do you turn the machine off and them back on?

Sometimes yes. Sometimes I just turn if off and give up for the night.

> What are your pressure settings?

Originally 8 to 14. After describing the problem with my physician's assistant, we are trying 4 to 10. So far (one night), the event happened again but with less pressure. And the app reported a maximum pressure of 10. I'm still unclear on whether this is normal, but perhaps it is? Super annoying though.

And yes, of course I called the vendor. They replied saying that loud noises are usually caused by mask leaks. I'm sure that's true, but that's not what I'm experiencing.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:23 pm

Take your machine back - a 'very loud noise' is not normal and setting your min. pressure (the one that does the job the machine is supposed to do) at 4, makes no sense.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:02 pm

yefchak wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:15 pm
And the app reported a maximum pressure of 10. I'm still unclear on whether this is normal, but perhaps it is? Super annoying though.
If your airway is on the verge of collapse at pressures below 10, it's perfectly normal for the machine to raise the pressure to 10. That's what we want it to do - raise the pressure to keep the airway open.
yefchak wrote:
At least once each night, I'm awakened (as is my spouse!) by a very loud noise accompanied by constant, very high pressure.
Is it possible you have the vents pointed toward a sheet or pillow which is magnifying the normal sound of the flow from the vents?

A pressure of 10 is in the middle of a typical pressure range. It would not be considered a high pressure.

hapa_dude

Post by hapa_dude » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:09 pm

I have only used my AirMini on a handful of trips and it has always been quite loud, not only from the device but the HumidX area of the mask! :cry:

Anyways, I took a video of the noises coming from my AirMini after being awoken by it. @OP are these the noises you are hearing too? I hear alternating loud whining jet engine noise and breathing noise in the video. Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYCvZgKzzm0

clownbell

Post by clownbell » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:06 pm

I agree with the notion of taking the machine back to the vendor. Phone call won't work because it's easier for vendor to brush you off when it's just a phone connection. But if you are physically there and say "listen to this, it can't be normal" that is probably a better approach. They are not likely to physically throw you out the door. If they ask you to have a seat and wait, have a seat and START the machine. This will bug the receptionist and be very off-putting for prospective customers. I'm betting you won't have to wait long. :)
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with built in humidifier
Resmed P10 pillow mask